PDA

View Full Version : Great Day in Toronto Today!

gr82bart
11-01-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm in Toronto and had a magnificent day today.

First up was dim sum with friends at Skyland de Shanghai Restaurant in Scarborough. Yummy. Then did some gallery hopping with another friend Jess.

At the Art Gallery of Ontario: http://www.ago.net/

Edward Steichen: In High Fashion, the Condé Nast Years 1923–1937
A great survey of 200 photographs. If you're into fashion as art, this exhibition is a must see.
Beautiful Fictions: Photography at the AGO; Featuring the David and Vivian Campbell Collection
Just a fantastic collection of prints from Jeff Wall, Cindy Sherman, Michael Snow, Andreas Gursky, Candida Hofer and Thomas Struth.
At the Royal Ontario Museum: http://www.rom.on.ca/

Vanity Fair Portraits: Photographs 1913-2008
150 star studded portraits from the likes of Edward Steichen and Annie Leibowicz.
Canadian Content: Portraits by Nigel Dickson
I've never heard of this Canadian photographer before, but apparently he quite famous! His website: http://www.nigeldickson.com/
Now back at my parents place where I just finished up delish home cooked dinner. Can't get any better. The shows at the ROM and AGO go to 2010 and you can get a pass that gives you entrance to both.

Regards, Art.

Dave Wooten
11-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Boy oh boy! Me oh My! I am more than a bit wistful... a bit bored at the moment, stuck in the entertainment center of the U.S. Only bit I would add to the mentioned agenda would be a nice round of Vindaloo with Bob Carnie!

I've just got to get out more.

Thanks for sharing
Dave in Vegas

Dinesh
11-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Speaking of Mr. Carnie, I believe that it was he who did the printing for the Nigel Dickson exhibit.

Vaughn
11-02-2009, 12:25 PM
If I was in Toronto...

But I am not. Great to hear that you had a most excellent photograph day in Toronto. I had to suffer another perfect day under the redwoods..and a rare one at that. Sunny but almost no wind. So instead of the 4 to 5 stop range of light I have been getting during my overcast photo sessions during October, I got ranges of 6 to 9 stops. These negatives will have some nice serious contrast!

Th Fall colors (color, really -- only a shade of yellow) were great. Nothing like back East, but pretty enough!

Vaughn

PS -- I also came home to a delish meal -- a combo effort of my wife and one of my boys. She cooked the Creole Corn Bread, and Bryce baked the acorn squash w/ apple.

Bob Carnie
11-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Hi Dave
Had a nice vindaloo meal with my wife on her birthday last week, boy was it hot.
Nigel Dickson is a wonderful photographer and his stories about the photo shoots are fantastic. Apparently he had to walk Mr Karsh up and down the stairs to tire him out so he would stop trying to pose himself for the camera.
You also can clearly see Nigel in Oscar Peterson's eyes . This was a fun printing session , working with the Artist and the ROM was great. I am printing the 2010 Contact Festival show for the ROM and am really stoked about it.
One of the prints from Nigels show will be hanging for a couple of months here at the Dylan Ellis Gallery that is located within Elevator, also a monster size print by Sandy King will be on display in the same show.
Art , if you are still in town drop by to our OPEN HOUSE this sat.

Boy oh boy! Me oh My! I am more than a bit wistful... a bit bored at the moment, stuck in the entertainment center of the U.S. Only bit I would add to the mentioned agenda would be a nice round of Vindaloo with Bob Carnie!

I've just got to get out more.

Thanks for sharing
Dave in Vegas