PDA

View Full Version : Silver Magnet Silver Recovery Device

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Ian Grant
02-25-2011, 07:19 AM
As they plate out the silver the capacity is physical rather than electrical, you should be able to see an appreciable build up of silver before you need to even think about sending for recovery.

Ian

Existing Light
02-25-2011, 01:25 PM
If you mix the permanganate solution with the metabisulphite the bleach is destroyed so you won't have problems passing that through the Silver Magnet especially if you mix with the fixer.

Ian

awesome. I never would have thought the solution to my permanganate bleach 'problem' would be so easy. Maybe I should run grab some chemistry textbooks so I can learn this stuff for myself :)

jnanian
02-25-2011, 02:56 PM
steve

it is time to turn the unit off when you see the cathode getting "dark"
at that point it is plating out bromines (bromides?) rather than silver.

- john

Existing Light
02-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Well, I have almost a full container (kitty litter bucket) of mostly potassium permanganate /sodium bisulfate bleach and sodium bisulfite clear bath (also a little bit of dektol and wash water. Fixer is still good, so none in this current container). There is a bit of dark gray "dust" on the bottom of the container that swirls around when I pick the bucket up. Is that silver or some other stuff forming solids and falling to the bottom? I ask because it's not much but seems to be quite a lot if it's silver. I'd say the bottom of the bucket is like 4x10 or 4x12 inches (estimating because the bucket is in my darkroom/shed outside), and there's a very thin but noticible layer on the bottom of something.

For the record, I've developed only 2 or 3 rolls of film. I've read that the bleach bleaches out quite a bit of silver because black and white slides require less silver than black and white negs. If this stuff is indeed silver, could that be the reason for the mass of silver lining the bottom of my kitty litter bucket? Thanks in advance

BTW, I'd post a picture, but my main computer is in the shop. It has slots for memory sticks, so I never bought one of those portable card readers. Now I'm left with no way to upload pictures from my point and shoot camera until I get my main compy back

jnanian
03-09-2011, 09:08 AM
it looks like i accidently deleted some of my attachments
attached are images of the silver magnet

thanks !
john

jnanian
05-02-2011, 04:47 PM
TODAY THE SPOT PRICE OF SILVER IS $46.56 / TROY OZ ...

don't dump that $$ down your drain !

AlbertZeroK
10-02-2011, 12:17 PM
your device holds 28-32 ounces? which is 1.75 to 2 pounds. have you found a more realistic silver refining partner? not including electricity cost, silver would have to reach 52.50 to 60 / pound to even break even after paying for the anode and processing fee?

jnanian
10-02-2011, 01:29 PM
hi albertzerk

i am not quite sure what you mean ...
this past friday the spot price for silver was $30.25 ...
the silver magnet shipped in the usa is 65$ ...
it pays for itself ( and a replacement anode ) the first time it is sent for refining ...

even if you add in the electricity costs, maybe i am wrong, but i don't think it will cost
600$ in electricity to extract 25oz of silver ... that is about what 25oz will yield.

some refiners have minimums + hidden fees,
the refiners i refer people to (in the usa, canada and the uk/eu)
don't have hidden costs and are upfront about their fees ..

if you have a different refiner or a jeweler or someone else that you would rather have refine your silver
you can by all means send it / bring it / sell it to anyone you want. or you can keep the "full" anodes in a
50 gallon drum in your basement, and hoard them until you want to have the whole drum refined at once.
i have made suggestions to take the hassle out of getting them refined
but you don't need to use them if you don't want ..

AlbertZeroK
10-11-2011, 10:45 AM
hi albertzerk

i am not quite sure what you mean ...
this past friday the spot price for silver was $30.25 ...
the silver magnet shipped in the usa is 65$ ...
it pays for itself ( and a replacement anode ) the first time it is sent for refining ...

even if you add in the electricity costs, maybe i am wrong, but i don't think it will cost
600$ in electricity to extract 25oz of silver ... that is about what 25oz will yield.

some refiners have minimums + hidden fees,
the refiners i refer people to (in the usa, canada and the uk/eu)
don't have hidden costs and are upfront about their fees ..

if you have a different refiner or a jeweler or someone else that you would rather have refine your silver
you can by all means send it / bring it / sell it to anyone you want. or you can keep the "full" anodes in a
50 gallon drum in your basement, and hoard them until you want to have the whole drum refined at once.
i have made suggestions to take the hassle out of getting them refined
but you don't need to use them if you don't want ..

Ah, I was thinking price per pound, not price per ounce. My bad.
At $30/oz, your refiner is paying $300 / pound, about $600 for a filled device minus refining fees. I got it now.

zsas
12-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Happy customer here, just want to give a shout out to John. Aside from being an outstanding artist, John is also a wonderful businessman. Thanks again John for a great solution. Andy

markrewald
12-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Can you shut the device off and then restart it? I don't have a huge volume of spent fixer so i am wondering what the affects would be to start and stop the device when I obtain more spent fixer.

jnanian
12-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Can you shut the device off and then restart it? I don't have a huge volume of spent fixer so i am wondering what the affects would be to start and stop the device when I obtain more spent fixer.

hi

its just a plug in the wall, no on/off switch :)
i don't think it would harm much if you turn it off
before it is "done". those lucite shoe box storage things
work great as de-silvering containers, and storage containers
after you are done ..

jnanian
04-04-2012, 12:15 PM
over the last few years i have had a poll running asking what people do with their spent fixer.
it was what prompted me to becoming a distributer / dealer for the silver magnet.
many years ago i sold similar items ( electrolytic, ion transfer, and evaporation devices ) but they were very expensive, and geared towards
large labs, medical offices and clinics. unlike what i used to sell, the silver magnet is small, affordable ... and pays for itself quickly.

over the last few years i have sold many of them, and with your help have
helped remove some of the silver from the waste stream, and hopefully put a few dollars ( or pounds or euros or ... ) in your pocket.

a week or so ago i started another poll now that it a few years has passed, and it looks like silver recovery has made inroads, that is always great news ....

here are a few entries from the poll-thread that i am re-posting to give people an idea of what the silver magnet is all about ....

I peeled the label off one of my old bottles of Kodafix concentrate, scanned it and keep the file on my hard drive.
When I take a bottle to the hazmat place, I print out that label and stick it on the jug with packing tape. I also print out the MSDS and stick it through the handle of the jug when I drop it off. Haven't had any questions yet. In fact, they seem to think I'm the one being a fussbudget.

Remove the silver from your fixer using a Silver Magnet. It's just a little plastic box with holes in it to let the liquid in. Inside the box are a sheet of metal foil and a long rod shaped electrode. You get a little "wall wart" electrical transformer that connects to a cord coming out of the plastic box. You plug it in, drop it in your fixer bucket and leave it alone for a few days. There are two LEDs on the transformer. A red and a green. At first, the green one lights. After the silver is removed from the liquid, the red light starts to glow. That's how you know you're done. Dump/recycle the desilvered fixer. Wash off the Silver Magnet cell with clear water, dry it and put it away for the next time you want to use it.

The first time I used the Silver Magnet, it took a little over a week to pull all the silver out of 2-1/2 gallons of used fixer. I weighed it before putting it to use. It weighed a hair over 75 grams. When I pulled it out, it weighed almost 100 grams. That's 25 grams or 0.9 ounces of silver I got back. Right now, the price of silver is hovering at around $30 to $32 per ounce. At the rate I'm going, one more use will have paid for the Silver Magnet but the cell won't nearly be full. I think I should be able to get ten uses out of it before it gets full.

When it finally gets full, my Silver Magnet will have paid for itself five times over.

hi randy

some of the lights are a little wonky on the magnets ... i usually tell people when the stuff they plate
starts getting "dark" ( instead of greyish, it is dark-greyish / blackish ) it is time to turn it off
because they are plating other "stuff" not just the silver ... as long as they stick it in a non-metalic container
when they run it they are good to go, a metal container will end up electro-plated silver ...

oh, your magnet will hold around 32troy oz of silver on it, it would have paid for itself 12-13 times over if you let it get real-full :)

have fun !
(and thanks ! )
john

So, let's round off and say 30 oz. of silver at $30 per.

$900 return on a $50 investment ain't too shabby. Is it? ;)

Yes, I noticed the lights aren't perfect but you can still tell.
When you first connect a clean cell to the wall wart, the red light glows brightly. When you submerge it in the fixer, it is barely aglow.
As the silver gets pulled out of the fixer, the red light gets a bit brighter.

I also watch the color of the silver building up on the plate. It looks like sand. About the color of sand, too.
I pulled mine out when the sand started getting darker.

My darkroom is in the basement. I can look in every so often as I go down to do laundry and stuff. The intensity of the light will give me enough information to know when to go look at the condition of the "sand" inside the cell.

feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the magnet or any other silver recovery questions ( i sell other things too ),
i am usually around and if i don't know the answer/s i will be happy to find out !

john

Greg Davis
07-19-2012, 10:36 AM
I am looking at getting one of these for the university darkroom I teach at. How can I tell when it is full and needs to be replaced? We go through a lot of fixer and silver since we collect all fixer used in film, printing and color processes.

Newt_on_Swings
07-19-2012, 05:16 PM
I am looking at getting one of these for the university darkroom I teach at. How can I tell when it is full and needs to be replaced? We go through a lot of fixer and silver since we collect all fixer used in film, printing and color processes.

You are sitting on a gold mine! (silver mine) haha. I actually have a few large containers of fixer in my teaching darkroom as well.

Raphael
10-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi John and all,

I could have sent PM to you, but I think it's better to post here for collective knowledge benefit.

And in fact, the questions are for all of APUGers that are silver chemistry savvy.

I bought a Silver magnet a little more than a year ago, and I have a few question, now with the past experience :

- As I don't produce a high spent fixer throughput, I store the used fixer in a container, waiting to have enough to worth desilvering. This container, usually in plastic, with the time, get plated with grey sludge, that I presume to be silver sulfur. Does this deposit reduce significantly the amount of silver that can be extracted from the fixer ? Is another type of container (glass ?) should be used ?

- after the first use of silver magnet, I got a thin yellow-grey layer of Ag onto cathode. Then, I unplug the silver magnet, rince it with clear water, and let it dry until next use. The following time, I constated that the layer changed color, becoming grey-black. I presume it's oxydation of silver, the same thing occuring when letting silverware forks to the air. Does this oxydation affects the Silver Magnet function ?

Many thanks for your help :)

Best regards,

Raphael

jnanian
10-30-2012, 07:43 PM
hi raphael

i can answer the 2nd question ...
i do not think there is a problem at all.
the magnet just allows electricity to flow through
the spent fixer to plate the silver onto the cathode.
as long as there is enough silver in the fixer there won't be a problem
otherwise it will smoke and smell like sulphur and burn out the magnet.
when you send it to be refined, they take into account
that there is a little oxidation i would imagine that is why
they suggest the silver on the cathode isn't 100% pure silver ..

i don't really have an answer to your first question but a guess and a suggestion ..
maybe you can experiment and see if it makes a difference
if/when you use a glass container.
i save my spent fixer in black 1L jobo containers
and a 3 quart tupperware plastic container before i
run it through the magnet i have never seen the sludge you have mentioned.
maybe i don't save mine as long so it doesn't have the same time to precipitate ?

i look forward to reading what others have to say !
john

Raphael
11-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Hi John,

Many thanks for your quick answer !

I am glad that this oxydation doesn't affect the Silver Magnet good function. However, I noticed the used fixer I stored have already a strong sulphur smell, when opening the storing container, and that odor persists during all the time I let the Magnet on, I hope I didn't burn the cathod !

About the deposit in the storing bottle, maybe you are right about the time, because the fixer stayed here several months.

BTW, I hope all is OK for you, I read in another thread you are in NYC.

Best regards,

Raphael

jnanian
11-01-2012, 06:52 PM
hi raphael i am happy i could help
things are OK here, i am about 3 hours from NYC
in RI we got lots of wind and some rain, but nothing like NYC ...

if i can help anymore let me know
i will ask the maker too ...

john

jnanian
02-11-2013, 04:24 PM
THROUGH MARCH

20% OF ALL MAGNET AND SILVER RECOVERY "STUFF"
DONATED DIRECT TO APUG+SEAN