PDA

View Full Version : Art Panorama help!

Zane Yau
12-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Hi guys

Just recently purchased an Art Panorama 617. It seems to be a straightforward camera to use. The only issue I have the the focusing knob and the bellow.

The focusing knob has markings - 0.8, 2, 3, 5, 10m and infinity but it can be turned THREE times until the bellow is fully extended.

How would I know, without checking the ground glass, where I am focusing?

Can somebody please help, so that I don't have to waste film and experiment?

thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Zane

Q.G.
12-01-2009, 02:37 PM
I believe (someone needs to corroborate) that the indicated distances are valid for the first turn.
Beyond that, you have to use the focussing screen.

Zane Yau
12-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks!

Does that mean when the bellow is fully retracted, it's "infinity"?

Anything beyond the first circle, it's closer than 0.8m?

Allen Friday
12-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Take the camera out and find a scene with a fence or a long wall that recedes into the distance. Point the camera down the length of the fence. Turn the camera knob to .8. Measure .8 m from the camera down the wall or fence. Check the ground glass to see if the camera is in fact focused at a point .8 m in front of the camera. If yes, then you have verified the accuracy of that setting. If no, then note the true plane of focus and write that down. From then on, you will know that if you set the knob to .8m it will be in sharp focus at distance X. Repeat for all of the other settings on your knob. When you have gone through the settings once, you will know where your camera is actually focusing whenever you set the knob to a specific setting.

You will need to test the infinity setting on the camera. Pick an object in the far distance and focus on it. That should get you close to the setting. There is a formula based on the lens you are using to determine how far "infinity" is, but for now, focusing on a distant object will get you close enough. The camera may not be all the way back (minimum bellows draw). There may be a fudge factor built in.

cesarb
12-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi, Zane.

I have the 624 model and it came with a metal stop placed at infinity mark for the 120mm lens and I had to take it off to use other lenses. So I guess your camera came without it and you should make one for yourself, not a big trouble. Otherwise, focusing should be done by the groundglass.
Good luck.