PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any prints of other artists on your wall?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Robert Brummitt
12-02-2009, 10:24 AM
I have almost all my walls covered with other photographers work on it. I want to have work that inspires me, makes me stop and slow down and see what wonderful work is seen and done. I have my library too.
Then I grab my gear and go forth and try to do my work.
I once attended a lecture by Carol Burnett and she shared that she stays fit by playing tennis. She likes to play against someone who is a better then herself. Gives her a challenge.
I like to think that the work I have on my walls does this to me. And what I see on APUG's and other website galleries do for me as well. I'm trying to better myself by seeing work of others who I admire.

winger
12-02-2009, 11:01 AM
I have a color shot from Emerson Matabele (I believe it's a cibachrome) and a color shot from Will Connor in my upstairs hallway. I have a black and white (selenium toned) by Janet Woodcock in my living room. I purchased all 3 at art fairs in New England and was very picky. I love all 3 (especially Janet's).
I have a bunch of exchange prints ready to hang in my craft room, but haven't gotten around to it. Some are from APUGers, some from photochimps.com and some from camera clubs.
I do have a couple of mine up in the mud room.

TheFlyingCamera
12-02-2009, 11:28 AM
I've got a very mixed bag of stuff around the house - mostly photography, 1/2 to 2/3 of which is mine, but I also have a vintage Maxfield Parrish print, an etching of a bullfighter I bought in Segovia, Spain, a very large mixed media painting that hangs over the bed in my bedroom, a variety of Asian (mostly Chinese) watercolor paintings, and an antique pencil sketch of the cathedral in Siena. Most of the artwork in the house that isn't by me is antique or otherwise vintage, mostly anonymous.

Other than the big mixed media piece, I don't have much in the way of painting because I'm just not THAT into painting. I can't find much in the way of modern painting that appeals to me stylistically and is also in my budget. I saw some intriguing work in a gallery in Barcelona but it was well outside my budget, even for the small pieces, and the small pieces were not ones I liked. I keep an eye out when I'm travelling, and even around town here, but it's so hard to find something.

Rob Skeoch
12-02-2009, 11:34 AM
I have a mixed bag for sure.

One from Karsh
One from Arthur Rothstein
Bobby Orr flying through the air that he gave me.
Henderson scoring the team Canada winning goal against Russia that Denny gave me.
Two from Jorge
Two from Ansel Adams

The rest of the walls have my stuff on them.

-rob

2F/2F
12-02-2009, 11:52 AM
I have a mixed bag for sure.

One from Karsh
One from Arthur Rothstein
Bobby Orr flying through the air that he gave me.
Henderson scoring the team Canada winning goal against Russia that Denny gave me.
Two from Jorge
Two from Ansel Adams

The rest of the walls have my stuff on them.

-rob

I likey number three!

ilya1963
12-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Sometimes my work feels like someone elses , does that count ?

Mike1234
12-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Only if you're bi-polar. :D No Mike, he didn't mean that. Yes he did, Michael, or are you just STOOPID?! STFU, Mike.

Morry Katz
12-02-2009, 12:44 PM
In my house there are many b&w prints on the walls: some of mine, some of my son Stephen's, plus 3 Andre Kertesz, 5 Carol Marino,1 Arnold Newman, 1 Gary Winogrand, 1 Werner Bischoff, 1 Eugene Smith, 1 B.A. King... Obviously, wall-space is at a premium around here. If photographers don't buy the work of other photogaphers who will?

Morry Katz - Lethbridge, Canada

tessar
12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I have prints of a half dozen Walker Evans' 8x10 FSA photographs that I bought from the Library of Congress. The LC did a great job of printing, and its prices are very affordable. I've read that Evans was unhappy about his FSA work being so cheaply available, but when he signed up with the government back in the '30s he knew that would be the case. (I've also read that he shot his FSA subjects twice and kept one negative for his own files!) So-called "real" Evans prints are way out of my price range.

ilya1963
12-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Only if you're bi-polar. :D
Yes I believe that I am , but I am not sure which one of me

No really, some works go back thirty years , they seem like someone else's. Sometimes I run across some piece at friends or family that I have not seen for a long while , I stand and stare at it until I start to feel like I am staring back at myself...weird

Back to the original question , I collect other people works , but I learn and get inspired from my last successful print more then anyone else's ...

redrockcoulee
12-02-2009, 01:00 PM
My wife is a print artist so we have lots of her work (and her photographs) and of other print artists that she traded with. We also had a gallery/store so we have some of the artists that we used to carry. As far as photographs go we have an Ansel Adams Limited Edition which I treated myself on my visit to Yosemite, an Edward Curtis photograuvre, the very fist piece of art we bought over 3 decades ago, a local LF photographer Tom Willock, a photographer I used to work with in Grande Praire and and a pair of images from the photographer know here as Miskus. I would not want to try to name all the painters and printmakers though.

Travis Nunn
12-02-2009, 08:37 PM
I do have a few of my own prints hanging on my walls, but I also have purchased and traded prints from many other photographers including Bill Schwab, Ike Eisenlord, Jorge Gasteazoro, Per Volquartz, Robert Teague, Richard Nelridge, Andrew Moxom and quite a few others that I rotate through regularly.

I feel very fortunate to have received some very fine prints in past APUG print exchanges. Coincidentally the sign up for the current group print exchange is underway and you can sign up here in this thread...
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum183/68594-group-print-exchange-round-13-a.html

MattKing
12-03-2009, 01:10 AM
I have APUG print exchange photos, a couple of prints my wife and I bought, some paintings, some folk art, some reproductions (Emily Carr) and some of my own.

My wife loves antique linen, so we have some of that in frames as well.

I'm including work in free standing frames as well as work on the walls.

Matt

ozphoto
12-03-2009, 03:09 AM
I have an original print by Alwyn Roy Coates, from his Voller Corsets collection.
A fantastic B&W print - "Waiting in the Woodshed".

http://www.alwyn-coates.com/index.php

mikebarger
12-03-2009, 04:46 AM
I have Guy Tal and Alex Hawley hanging now.

Mike

pgomena
12-04-2009, 06:35 PM
I have prints by other photographers, and my own, hanging on our walls. I like to trade prints with friends, and I occasionally buy images.

Peter Gomena

AmandaTom
12-04-2009, 08:57 PM
I just counted all the stuff on my living room / dining room walls. 25 paintings and prints, 10 by me. I scour the local goodwill and other thrift stores and have found some wonderful pieces for peanuts. For example, a 24 x 30 inch wood block print, signed, numbered, and framed, for $30. I got another lovely little print free because the glass was broken. I like to have lots of work by others around to look at, especially in mediums I do not use and subjects I do not pursue. Keeps me interested.

keithwms
01-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Do you have any prints displayed from photographers other than yourself?

Sure, quite a few. I don't have any of my own stuff hanging.

eclarke
01-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Yes, I have a tiny collection..Evan Clarke

jd callow
01-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Currently my walls are bare, -- just painted them. Soon I hope to have my own stuff up as well as work by Bill Schwab, G. Zuili, Lavina Hanachuic and a few others.