View Full Version : Disposal of chemicals

12-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Hey all,

What do you all do with your chemicals? I'm thinking of getting a little darkroom together.

Thank you!

- Mark

12-10-2009, 01:08 PM
What kind of chemicals? Most B&W chemicals are far less hazardous than many house-hold chemicals. What I have been reading says in non-industrial quantity, they are safe enough to simply drain them into sewer. That's what I do.

Welcome to APUG!

12-10-2009, 01:20 PM
The only basic B&W chemical that our sewer treatment folks don't want to go down the drain (and they are pretty fussy) is used fixer, as they don't like the silver content. So we put aside the used fixer and toners for hazardous waste disposal here at the university.


Mike Wilde
12-11-2009, 09:20 AM
I do take my RA-4 and E-6 bleaches and blixes to the HHW depot adjacent to my nearest landfill transfer station along with the spent fixers and toners.

In the winter I dehydrate all but toners in stainless steel trays left out up high in my garage. They evaporate and freeze away off and on, and by spring there is but a few re-used baby food jars of crusty sludge left to be spatula'ed up of say 4L of blix that started out 3 months prior. By spring there is yard waste to deal with, so no need to dehydrate after then, even though it would go faster if it was not frozen half of the time.

12-11-2009, 09:39 AM
I take my used develloper, fixer and toners to the "déchetterie" (hazardous and non-hazardous waste disposal places in France).

12-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks much for all your replies. I'm not sure we have "déchetteries" in New York City. :D

I was kind of hoping some nice New Yorkers would reply also.:)

Jeff L
12-11-2009, 08:39 PM
The Hudson?? Joking of course.
There has to be a few HWD around NYC.

12-11-2009, 09:58 PM
I am very fortunate to take my used fixed to Severn Graphics for disposal. The developers go down the sink. Don't use stop so that not a problem because I use water. As for selenium tone it goes down the drain since my ratio to selenium to water is hight.

12-12-2009, 12:47 AM
i use a waste hauler to remove all of my spent chemistry, i am on septic.

i am a distributer of the silver magnet ....
it works very well ...
if you are interested in learning more about the silver magnet feel free to contact me ..

good luck!

04-07-2010, 10:25 PM
lets try to recycle our fixer so we can recycle the silver. Remember silver is a non renewable resource.

04-07-2010, 10:38 PM
I would think it would be worth asking a photo lab in the city about putting your used fixer in there silver recovery system, or they might know of an other place to properly dispose of it.

04-07-2010, 10:49 PM
I would check with your sewage treatment people. Our community publishes a pamphlet on this as well as recycling, places to take for processing. I agree we have far more dangerous chemicals in our homes than what we do with our photography. How about the chemicals in your garage? Or used outdoors for lawns, gardens, insect control. Realizing what I have and I make a conscious effort to not used chemicals and when I do I'm careful with application quantities and frequency of use. It's how we live in the 21st Century. If we eliminated all chemicals we would have other problems.

Existing Light
04-07-2010, 10:53 PM
if you have neighbors you dont like, do what I do: pour the used fixers and toners on their shrubs in the middle of the night :D

Seriously, though, I take used fixer and toners to my hazardous material dropoff place since it's just down the road from where I drop off plastic bottles for recycling. I have better (and more legal) ways to annoy my neighbors :D

Rick A
04-08-2010, 09:20 AM
I only pour that stuff on the shrubs where they are intruding into MY property--my neighbor never asked if I wanted that crap growing in my yard before he planted them.

01-14-2011, 05:40 AM
Way late to the party. I'm not sure if you still need the info but here it is in case someone else does. I know Westchester has a county hazmat where they receive photographic chemistry if you are a resident. I think NYC does also but I'm not 100% sure. Why not give NYC DEP a call. I've dealt with them in the past regarding fishing in the city reservoirs and they were pretty helpful. Here's their number: (212) NEW YORK (639-9675).