View Full Version : The Impossible Project - The Final Countdown

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

01-12-2010, 02:27 PM
IIRC they weren't going to be selling anything until later in the year anyways. Having their website miraculously disappear is annoying though. It would be nice to have something there. Does anyone know anything?

EDIT oh nevermind it's back up.

Yes, that was my understanding from back when they started. They had what seemed to be an investor-imposed deadline to produce a viable product, which they appear to have met. That's a great accomplishment, given that they didn't acquire the chemicals or full intellectual property.
They didn't say they would have products in people's hands by now. It was all about R&D. I think they were smart to not promise too much- their hands were full with what they had.
Having the building and machines was just the first step. Creating a functional operation is something far beyond that.
I had my doubts. Things like this come and go. As a motorcyclist, I have seen more resurrections of Indian and Norton than I care to remember.

01-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Got an email from polapremium today, it said the Impossible Project will be giving a status update tomorrow.

Christopher Walrath
01-23-2010, 12:18 PM
The announcement was for the 22nd of February.

01-23-2010, 01:23 PM
The announcement was for the 22nd of February.

My bad, I saw the 22nd and somehow I thought it was today, even though it said February. :p

01-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Got an email from polapremium today, it said the Impossible Project will be giving a status update tomorrow.

I didn't get that yet.

Christopher Walrath
01-23-2010, 03:28 PM
The Text of the email sent to Creative Image Maker.

Back to Reality

The Impossible factory is working overtime but so is the rumor mill: Polaroid rocked CES in Las Vegas, dancing with Lady Gaga. This breathtaking performance so overwhelmed them that they obviously forgot to share the real facts about the future of Analog Instant Photography. The details are simple: The Impossible Project is the one and ONLY institution in the whole milky way that will be capable of producing Analog Instant Film for Polaroid cameras.

Back to the Future

The Impossible Project will present the status of its work to the public on
22 FEBRUARY 2010
in New York - where Edwin Land presented the very first Analog Instant Picture publicly at the Annual Meeting of the Optical Society of America 63 years and 1 day ago, on 21st of February 1947. On this date he changed the world of Photography by announcing one of the most outstanding and successful photographic inventions in human history.

To honor this milestone of Polaroid Instant Photography, we kindly ask you to save the 22nd of February 2010. You will then learn all about the exciting details of the Impossible future of Instant Photography. Details/invites are about to follow; a video of the presentation in New York as well as a comprehensive media kit will be available worldwide.

Communications I Press Relations
Marlene Kelnreiter
Breite Gasse 11/1/1, A - 1070 Vienna
T.: +43 (0) 1 890 31 90 91
M: +43 (0) 680 318 30 77
F.: +43 (0) 1 890 31 90 15

Matthew Rusbarsky
01-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Check this out: http://www.ars-imago.ch/ SX-70BW, Feb 2010. Woohoo!

01-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Check this out: http://www.ars-imago.ch/ SX-70BW, Feb 2010. Woohoo!

What polaroid cameras use a 1200 speed film?

Matthew Rusbarsky
01-24-2010, 12:00 PM
What polaroid cameras use a 1200 speed film?

Not ASA 1200, Type 1200; AKA Spectra. Basically same stuff as Type 600 with a slightly different format.

01-24-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm beginning to regret selling my beloved SLR680.

Jeff Searust
01-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Got my camera for type 600 right in front of me-- and I am really excited....

01-31-2010, 03:42 PM
Since my first SX-70 I dreamed of a B&W film for it, and I simply cannot wait to see. I do hope we buy enough to make it worthwhile.

02-03-2010, 08:16 AM
I am super curious to see if they will be selling the products via retailers such as B&H etc... If they keep doing what they are doing now, I won't be able to afford anything they offer.

I know it's hard to say, but does anyone have any idea on this?

02-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Nobody has even seen a prototype yet...

(But there statements were about 2€ per sheet.)

02-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Now March 22!!?? http://www.polapremium.com/news?date=2010-02-08

Ken Nadvornick
02-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Being an all-analog photographer, I can wait. Anticipation is one of analog's primary virtues, and should never be rushed.

Sometimes The Impossible takes just a wee bit longer...

02-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I can wait too, but I just get nervous that the letter says a small problem came up and the will anounce wether or not this all worked out.

02-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Well, I would say they've done quite well to bring it this far in such a short time. I'd bet both Kodak and Fuji took longer than one year to develop their instant film technologies, and they had a lot more resources. So hang tight (or hang loose, your choice; works either way). ;)

Christopher Walrath
02-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Couple of emails received yesterday. One from Marlene K and one from Dr. Kaps.

Dr. Kaps' email

have to admit, it turns out to be much
more difficult than I thought it would be to make your own instant
film. Fortunately our small but excellent team at the Impossible
factory in Enschede has finally (with a lot of luck) found out that it
is highly possible to produce a NEW instant film with a new recipe. If
all goes well this film will be usable with old Polaroid cameras. But
the time has not come yet - just last week a new, unexpected problem
appeared which we are now trying to fix.

That's why we do have to reschedule our presentation in New York which
was planned for February 22nd. Of course we are not giving up we will
finally announce whether our mission is impossible or not on

22nd MARCH 2010.

We will do our best to be in the position to present a final answer
that will make you smile and your camera "Click" again.

Please keep all your fingers crossed.

Sincerely yours,

Florian Kaps / doc

And Marlene's . . .

Press Release __ The Impossible Project__8 February 2010

Will there ever be new film for Polaroid cameras?
Impossible encounters a delay in reviving production of analog Instant Film

In 2008 when Polaroid surprisingly discontinued production of Instant Film for traditional Polaroid cameras, analog Instant Photography seemed to be doomed. The Impossible Project saved the last Instant Film Production plant in Enschede (NL), taking on the task of re-inventing analog integral film. Since 1972, integral film production has followed the same recipe. In order to carry instant film production into the 21st century, Impossible had to find new solutions for replacing and upgrading problematic or unavailable components.

Bringing back Instant Film is an intricate process. On the weekend of February 6th Impossible encountered an unexpected problem with one of the components vital for production. This undesireable fact is now engaging all of the Impossible team's attention and is forcing a rescheduling of the project's timetable. As such, the NYC press event on 22nd February has to be postponed. The Project leader's Florian Kaps and André Bosman must give themselves one more month to cope with the Impossible. On

22nd MARCH 2010

they will disclose whether or not their Impossible Project will be possible. At that time, they will present the status of their work, their plans and the products publicly in New York. Details and invitations to the press event will follow. There will be a video of the presentation in New York, and a comprehensive media kit will be available worldwide.

Further updates will be published on www.the-impossible-project.com

____Communications _Press Relations_
_______Marlene Kelnreiter___________
Breite Gasse 11/1/1, A - 1070 Vienna
T.: +43 (0) 1 890 31 90 91
M: +43 (0) 680 318 30 77
F.: +43 (0) 1 890 31 90 15

Photo Engineer
02-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Seems like deja vu to me. I've seen this somewhere before or something like it.

Oh, I do sympathize with them, as I have BTDT. If it is a shutdown problem, I've seen that, if it is a hue shift with time, seen that, if it is a speed loss or gain with keeping, seen that and a host of others.