PDA

View Full Version : “Monthly” Shooting Assignment - Jan/Feb 2010: “Brilliant”

MattKing
01-01-2010, 02:27 PM
“Monthly” Shooting Assignment - Jan/Feb 2010: “Brilliant” :cool:

Happy New Year everyone!

For those of us in the upper half of the northern hemisphere, some times it seems as if we just cannot get enough light at this time of year. For that reason, I thought it would be nice to see some extra illumination from those on APUG who might care to contribute. As a result, the theme of this Monthly Shooting Assignment (“MSA” - even though it actually is a Two Month Shooting Assignment) is:

"Brilliant"

As usual, the theme can be interpreted in many ways, so don’t hesitate to try and surprise us with your take on it.

Results for the assignment are due by the final tick of the clock in the last time zone on the planet on February 28, 2010.

Best of luck,

Matt

P.S. For first-timers, the following summary of standard procedures should help (I am indebted to Ken Nadvornick for putting most of this together for the last assignment, and not objecting when I proposed to re-use [aka “borrow”] it):

(1) Take note of the MSA assignment, which you will find inserted into the title of this thread.

(2) Take your photo(s) according to the assignment guidelines. Try to shoot something new rather than grabbing from your archives.

(3) You can post your photo in the MSA Gallery or, you can host your photo elsewhere and link to it in this thread, or, you can post it as an attachment to a message here in this thread and it will show as a clickable thumbnail.

(4) It's all for fun, there are no prizes, but at the end of the MSA, I (a previous winner) will choose a “winner”, and the photographer associated with it will have the opportunity to choose a theme for the MSA in a couple of months time, and then choose the “winner” from the submissions.

Additional hints about uploading your photographs...

(5) How to upload if you are an APUG subscriber: As a subscriber you can upload to the APUG galleries. You perform the upload in the same way you would upload to the standard gallery, except you press the "'All subscriber galleries", you find a drop-down menu and press the Monthly Shooting Assignment, that’s it.

(6) How to upload if you are NOT an APUG subscriber: If you aren't a subscriber, you cannot upload to the APUG galleries. Instead, you'll need to attach your image to a post in this thread. Of course, it is a much better idea to subscribe instead.

(7) (For subscribers only) If you start out by uploading to the Monthly Shooting Assignment gallery, the system won't give you the chance to fill in the data fields that all the other galleries offer - i.e. to list the film and developer, location, and the other suggested information. If you like to list that information, just upload the photograph to a standard gallery, and then "edit" the upload. During the edit, you can change the gallery it is stored in - in this case to the Monthly Shooting Assignment gallery.

8) Most importantly, have fun!

Matt

lorirfrommontana
01-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Great shooting assignment. I'm looking forward to participating. Jane said I should take a picture of her! Silly girl!
Lori

sly
01-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Hmmmm...

nsouto
01-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Man! Another good subject.
Thanks, Matt. This is gonna be fun!

rthomas
01-09-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm looking forward to submitting something new for this assignment, I've been spending far too much time in the archives lately. Thanks!

Patrick Latour
01-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Never did it before, but there is always a beginning... let's try.

MattKing
02-27-2010, 12:00 AM
We are almost at the end of February. If you haven't posted your "Brilliant" photos yet, now is definitely the time!

Thanks to those who have already posted.

Matt

MattKing
02-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Today is the last day to post folks!

Matt

barbara ann
02-28-2010, 02:30 PM
I had another image I wanted to enter but SNAPFISH, the commercial lab I send my color film to for processing LOST MY FILM ! They are apparently unreliable and I will never use them again and would advise everyone else to do likewise! It is so disheartening to make the effort to capture images only to never see the results. Although I have a B&W darkroom for prints and enlargements, to develop my own film would be costly and inconvenient so I depend on commercial labs. But never again to SNAPFISH !

nsouto
03-01-2010, 04:11 AM
Bugger! That really sucks, Barbara!

MattKing
03-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Unlike Ken before me, I didn’t start preparing my response to the MSA submissions this time until 10:00 a.m. on the day after the deadline (sorry for the delay :)).

Thank you everyone for your submissions. It looks like I may have chosen a theme (“Brilliant”) that was a particularly challenging one for those of us (in the northern hemisphere, anyways) who had to deal with some less than brilliant weather.

I’ve really enjoyed looking through the results. There are a number of very creative responses to the challenge. Congratulations to all who participated.

Here are some of my thoughts on each of the photos - informal but personal reactions not intended in any way to be taken too seriously.

------------------------------------------------------------
Shimmering Cornet - russljames

An excellent way to start off this assignment. The brilliant highlights on the cornet contrast nicely with the shadows elsewhere, and the curves in the instrument and its shadow contrast well with the straight lines and geometric pattern on the wall and in the wallpaper

On The Turps, Again... - nsouto

I laughed when I saw this one. Photographically, the dog's eyes are brilliant in a dog-like way, but the story behind the mess is what makes it most brilliant.

TR2 Mirror - sly

A very nice entry. It isn’t surprising to see a brilliant reflection off of chrome, but the reflection of the reflection on the paint is an unexpected and welcome extra bit of brilliance. The curves, curls and tones are great as well.

At Home - Bertus

A very interesting approach to the theme. The photograph itself is wonderful, and the back story makes it great. Unfortunately, I think that in these assignments we are supposed to only consider current shots when considering who is going to be the "winner". I really do like it though ....

Wolf Moon (MSA - Brilliant) - barbara ann

I like the pattern of the branches as they cross in front of the brilliant moon, as well as filling the rest of the frame with a subtle labyrinth. I like the colour, but I wouldn’t mind seeing this darker as well - a little lost detail in the bottom corner probably wouldn’t hurt.

Brilliant grandson (snow angels - MSA Brilliant) - barbara ann

The snow is brilliant, and the grandson even more so! I like the shapes and textures, and the shadows are great. This is a great example of a good photo greatly enhanced by a back story.

Greece, Samos Island - Thomas Moraitis

The brilliant light seems to pour down these fascinating steps. The tones, textures and subtle colours are very impressive. It’s unfortunate that this isn’t a current photo.

Brilliant Sun II - Greece - Thomas Moraitis

We don’t see a lot of high-key work in this forum, so it is nice to see this. The textures in the highlights are very nice. It’s unfortunate that this too is a “not so old” photo.

Brilliant Sideways Icicles - barbara ann

I really appreciate the warmth and colour of this image. My eye does tend to be drawn to the darker parts though, rather than the most brilliant. Still a great entry though.

So that about covers it. And as far as picking my favorite?

After much consideration, and with the able assistance of my wife, Gail, I have decided as follows:

First place goes to barbara ann for “Brilliant grandson”, because it says “Brilliant” to me in multiple ways.

Second place goes to sly for “TR2 Mirror”. It was very close, primarily because of the multiple examples of brilliance together with fascinating curves and curls.

And honourable mentions go out to russljames for Shimmering Cornet, because of its combination of brilliant reflections and interesting patterns, and to Thomas Moraitis for “Greece, Samos Island”, which captures brilliance, but due to the fact that it was an older image, couldn’t be considered it for 1st or 2nd place.

So congratulations barbara ann, the May-June 2010 Monthly Shooting Assignment will be in your capable hands.

And Noons (nsouto) March-April 2010, is all yours...

Thanks again everybody.

Matt

nsouto
03-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Excellent! Congratulations Barbara Ann, love that one as well.

Thomas Moraitis
03-02-2010, 03:00 AM
Congratulations to barbara ann, and many thanks to MattKing! Waiting impatiently for the next theme now :-).

barbara ann
03-02-2010, 12:34 PM
MattKing~
Thank you for choosing my photo. (Can't wait to tell Derek, my grandson. He will be thrilled!) Appreciated your comments on the other photos as well...

barbara ann