PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge World?

KenR
01-09-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm looking in the Widelux f8 camera. At the moment there seems to be a lack of used cameras. Cambridge World has them for $1675.00 - new? Anyone dealt with them? They use paypal so there is some consumer protection - but I am rather reluctant to deal with a firm that I don't know. Perhaps I should just wait for some to appear on the used market.

DWThomas
01-09-2010, 11:33 AM
I would tread carefully. I just looked them up on ResellerRatings.com (http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Cambridge_Camera).

JLP
01-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Did you talk to someone from Cambridge World to make sure they actually have one? They list a lot that they don't have. Be careful if you order online.

Terence
01-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Charlatans, pure and simple, especially when it comes to unusual or expensive items. They've always been that way, and presumably always will.

David A. Goldfarb
01-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I've bought from Cambridge when I could walk into the store, see the item, and pay for it on the spot, because they do have a fairly deep stock of discontinued products new in the box. I don't know that they have a storefront anymore, but I wouldn't buy from them any other way.

Mahler_one
01-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Did you talk to someone from Cambridge World to make sure they actually have one? They list a lot that they don't have. Be careful if you order online.

JLP is completely correct...be very, very careful.

jeroldharter
01-15-2010, 09:20 PM
I bought my first zoom lens from them almost 30 years ago, a "Cambron" 80-210 if I recall. A complete piece of junk. You get what you pay for but I still felt ripped off. More recently I was looking for a foot switch for a Jobo timer which they had "in stock" so I bought it on the website but the transaction never occurred. I was never billed but I did not think it was worth the effort. I agree with David.

Cainquixote
01-18-2010, 04:18 AM
they are satan's spawn. check out what the bbb has on file about them

lxdude
01-21-2010, 05:02 AM
"Be ve-e-e-e-w-w-y caawweful."

E. Fudd

fschifano
01-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Time for the way back machine... Years and years ago when I voraciously read every issue of Modern Photography and Popular Photography, Cambridge Camera would run multi-page ads with every issue. They were schlokmeisters then, and apparently they still are. One wonders how they stay in business with a reputation like that.

DrPablo
01-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Ken, if you're patient you can probably get a better deal. I got a Noblex 150 for $900 on Ebay, but it took me a while.

David A. Goldfarb
01-24-2010, 05:12 PM
I agree with Paul. The basic medium format Noblex 150 is going for around $1000 or even less occasionally these days.

loman
01-24-2010, 05:54 PM
I was once bought a condensor for a durst m800 from them, I was already aware of their bad reputation but they were the only ones selling them so I jumped for it, and at a high price too. Three months later the condensor still hadn't arrived. I had to call them to get my money back. I guess they just had a reputation to live up to. I too wonder how a company that practically only gets negative comments can stay in business. By the way has anybody seen their adds on ebay. It just screams "stay away".

Anscojohn
01-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Back in the days when they were Cambridge Camera is bought fairly regularly from them. I do not recall any problems. My "secret" was to have the items sent COD. They shipped quickly because they wanted the money. My understanding years ago was that one of the reasons they stayed in business was because they were around the corner from the NYC diamond market and the goal was to get cash for transactions there-on. Whether this was true or not, I do not know. but that is what I heard.

David A. Goldfarb
01-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Were they in the Diamond District at some point? I remember visiting the shop long ago before moving to New York, I think on Broadway wasn't it? around 18th St.?, and then after B&H moved up to 34th St. in the 1990s they were in the old B&H space, which I think was on 17th St., if I remember correctly.

Maybe you're thinking of 47th St. Photo, which was near the Diamond District. Professional Camera Repair was right in the middle of the Diamond District.

Mahler_one
01-24-2010, 07:56 PM
David-Is Wall Street Camera still around?

David A. Goldfarb
01-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Wall Street Camera closed a few years ago. I remember stopping in there during their last months and seeing a very attractive Focomat II englarger in the center of the shop, but I didn't have any room for it. Eli Kurland, formerly of Wall Street Camera, has his own shop currently in the venerable Brooks Bros. Building that houses the Leica Gallery.

Moose38
02-01-2010, 01:48 PM
That brings back memories. The only thing i ever baught from them that ever lasted. Was my cambron power winders for my olympus om10's. There were all plastic & cost 49.95.

Mahler_one
02-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Wall Street Camera closed a few years ago. I remember stopping in there during their last months and seeing a very attractive Focomat II englarger in the center of the shop, but I didn't have any room for it. Eli Kurland, formerly of Wall Street Camera, has his own shop currently in the venerable Brooks Bros. Building that houses the Leica Gallery.

Yes, I recall Eli very well....Eli and his white dog I believe, correct?

He is very active on that auction site I think.