PDA

View Full Version : Progression to ULF ... yours ?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

doughowk
01-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Had considered some larger variations of the 8X10, but became intrigued with the panoramic format. Seemed appropriate for flat landscapes such as Florida. I haven't used it (7X17) as much as I had originally thought, but maybe this year. As soon as the Lodima arrives, I should be incentivized ;-)

John Jarosz
01-19-2010, 05:06 PM
And here is my downside:

15 months into my ULF travels has caused me to re-assess every photo I have taken previously from the standpoint of sharpness. Every time I look at one of my old photos I cringe because of what I perceive (now) to be a lack of sharpness. Large contact prints are a different animal. I guess I can never go back..........

2F/2F
01-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Pinhole photography is the only way I have done ULF. It is too expensive for me otherwise. My ideal ULF would be a 12x18, but I don't think there is such a thing...so 12x20 it is when I finally get there. For now, my home-built 12x20 pinhole will have to do.

wclark5179
01-19-2010, 05:13 PM
You folks are great.

I'm learning quite a lot here.

Question:

Availability of film? And where?

Keep it up!

I'm learning.

Hope every so often I throw a bone or two to help!

jp80874
01-19-2010, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=wclark5179;928016]
Question:
Availability of film? And where?
QUOTE]

Once a year Ilford and sometimes Kodak offer a one time production run of ULF sizes. IMO Kodak has priced themselves out of the market in both actual price per sheet, but also packaging of 8x10 and above at 10 sheets per box. What I want is a large collection of empty yellow boxes.

Kodak has withdrawn size offers that could not draw enough orders for their minimum. Ilford has said if people order it they will make it. I have switched vendors.

I tell my second wife that one of the advantages of second marriage is that we both had 20 cu ft freezers. One of them is in the basement next to the darkroom. She says I am stunningly romantic.

John Powers

Jim Fitzgerald
01-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Michael Kadillak is getting a special order of Adox 25 in 8x20 going. I'm in on that one. For my 11x14 I have some film. Mainly Efke 25 and FP-4. I do have a boat load of green sensitive x-ray film that you can still buy for about 56.00 for 100 sheets. Got mine off of e-bay and spent about .04 per sheet. Doesn't get any cheaper than that. Check with freestyle for film in ULF.

Jim

nick mulder
01-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Go to Badger graphics for 11x14" Provia

B&W I find here and there, search for large format suppliers then have a sniff around their websites or email them - off the shelf even at Silverprint in London - yup, ebay too

nick mulder
01-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Michael Kadillak is getting a special order of Adox 25 in 8x20 going. I'm in on that one. For my 11x14 I have some film. Mainly Efke 25 and FP-4. I do have a boat load of green sensitive x-ray film that you can still buy for about 56.00 for 100 sheets. Got mine off of e-bay and spent about .04 per sheet. Doesn't get any cheaper than that. Check with freestyle for film in ULF.

Jim

Jim,

That xray film looks interesting - concerned however that in sending it overseas it would be x-rayed ...

I understand in not being panchromatic that an EI is hard to discern considering different subjects etc... but what are you using to develop it and what EI are you rating it for what kind of subject ?

Kind Regards,
Nick

Bruce A Cahn
01-19-2010, 08:59 PM
I started with 8x10, then 11x14, 12x20, 16x20, 14x17, all Wisners. My last one was an 11x14 Ebony.

willrea
01-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Pinhole photography is the only way I have done ULF. It is too expensive for me otherwise.

That's my situation exactly. I'm currently building a 11x14 pinhole camera.

nick mulder
01-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Once film costs are factored in over a reasonable amount of time the cost of a lens becomes negligible doesn't it ? I would have thought that especially if you don't need infinity coverage or fast lenses then there are hundreds of lenses that could fit the bill ...

yes/no ?

Mind you, pinholes, ok so we're talking wide angles ? Maybe lens choices are limited there.

Jim Fitzgerald
01-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Jim,

That xray film looks interesting - concerned however that in sending it overseas it would be x-rayed ...

I understand in not being panchromatic that an EI is hard to discern considering different subjects etc... but what are you using to develop it and what EI are you rating it for what kind of subject ?

Kind Regards,
Nick

Nick, I shoot the green sensitive at ISO 100 and develop it in Pyrocat-HD 1:1:200 dilution by inspection with a red safelight. The film seems to be high contrast and is great in soft light and in sun as well. The Pyrocat tames the highlights. I'm still experimenting with it in 8x10 and 11x14. Portraits and landscape so far. I'll attach a couple of images. I like the high contrast for the carbon transfer prints that I make. All of these are carbon prints.

Jim

nick mulder
01-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Sounds like it should be good for Pt/Pd then ? (PMK Pyro)

But the X-ray issue - how to get around that ?

Atlo
01-20-2010, 01:56 AM
to the people wondering about xrays, allow me to explain
my dad is a doctor and he tells me that an xray works by placing the film next to a rare earth sheet.
the rare earth sheet lights up under the xray and basically contact prints to the film.
the film has no special sensitivity beyond its orthochomatic-ness (not a word i realize_

nick mulder
01-20-2010, 02:58 AM
ah - yes, I remember reading about this now !

Thanks for clearing that up Atlo

eclarke
01-20-2010, 06:18 AM
I just took delivery of my Chamonix 11x14. I have been around a LOT of view cameras but never had a chance to see Chamonix in person and was concerned that many new purchasers on the LF forum were selling their 4x5s. my purchase was a leap of faith. The camera is twice as good as I hoped, an elegantly simple execution of the design and freakishly light. I bought 1 filmholder and it is just as good. I will post some pictures in the next couple of days and maybe do a video. I am halfway through scanning some old chemistry books and need to finish them before I do vids...Evan Clarke

coriana6jp
01-20-2010, 07:08 AM
Evan,

I would really like to hear your impressions of the Chamonix after you have used it for a while. I went through this choice a year ago and ended up with a Richard Ritter camera instead of the Chamonix. I couldn't be happier, but I am still curious sometimes. Enjoy the camera and welcome to ULF.

Gary

Jim Fitzgerald
01-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Evan, welcome to 11x14! Wait until you hold one of those big negatives in your hands. The cameras are the tools so whatever one you choose really is not that big a deal I think.

Nick, the x-ray film will be great for pt/pd, your pyro too.

Jim

eclarke
01-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Evan, welcome to 11x14! Wait until you hold one of those big negatives in your hands. The cameras are the tools so whatever one you choose really is not that big a deal I think.

Jim

Thanks Gary and Jim,
I'm 60 and not sure I could cope with a camera which was heavy. I can carry this thing around and I believe the kit will be even lighter than my 8x10 set which is lighter than my 4x5. I can't wait to make a negative, Jim, it will be the same kind of experience as my first 8x10 only better!!:p...Evan Clarke

nick mulder
01-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Jim

Hi Jim,

I'm in contact with Carrie at the moment ... Looks like a go ahead

300 sheets I reckon :D

What was the expiry on the box you got ? Also, I wonder being a medical supplier if she has Collodion available, I'll ask ...