PDA

View Full Version : Build a 20x24 inch camera

dodo
01-18-2010, 06:46 AM
Hi, I have a project, I wish build a 20x24 inch camera, please do you give me an advice for a build a ULF camera, plans and measures, if possible? thanks.

dariomagnani@hotmail.com

Greg Davis
01-18-2010, 09:47 AM
When I built mine I designed for a very long time, I tried different materials and settled on an aluminum extrusion that bolts together, but even with that, make sure your design, particularly the bed, is rigid and stable. I highly recommend you get a film holder and build to fit it, don't try to build a camera and hope it fits a holder into it. And give yourself plenty of bellows. If possible, do not try to get every possible movement into the camera design, this will make it bulkier and less rigid. I can't stress rigid enough. These things bounce around like crazy with the slightest breeze if you didn't build it rigid enough.

DanielStone
01-20-2010, 06:12 PM
dodo,

just out of curiosity, I'm not an ULF guy, but are you going to be shooting film or paper negs?

-Dan

sv@diycamerakit.com
04-07-2010, 09:45 AM
There is a DIY forum on APUG, you might get more info there. Did you start working on the camera?

totalamateur
05-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Slight Hijack, but does anyone know where to get the dimensions for 20x24 holders (or where to get one for less than the price of a VW bug?)

sanking
06-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Slight Hijack, but does anyone know where to get the dimensions for 20x24 holders (or where to get one for less than the price of a VW bug?)

There is no standard size. I have seen Wisner, S&S and AWB holders in this size and they are all different. If you want to make one use any size you like and make the back to fit. The only thing that matters is that a piece of 20X24" film will fit in the frame.

I can sell you an S&S holder, not sure how the price compares to a VW bug.

Sandy King

Dave Wooten
06-26-2010, 10:23 PM
There is no standard size. I have seen Wisner, S&S and AWB holders in this size and they are all different. If you want to make one use any size you like and make the back to fit. The only thing that matters is that a piece of 20X24" film will fit in the frame.

I can sell you an S&S holder, not sure how the price compares to a VW bug.

Sandy King

:)

Sandy would you take an old Saab in trade?

sanking
06-27-2010, 08:01 PM
:)

Sandy would you take an old Saab in trade?

Dave,

Send pictures!!

Sandy

Dave Wooten
07-19-2010, 11:56 PM
Ok soon as this heat lets up I'll take a snap shot suitable for framing :)

Zebra
07-20-2010, 07:06 AM
Ok soon as this heat lets up I'll take a snap shot suitable for framing :)

Which begs the question,

"When is that in Vegas?!"

Hope you and your mom are doing well. I didn't make it out this year for the summer session unfortunately.

best,

Monty

Rob Skeoch
07-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Actually did anyone post plans for a camera anywhere. I doubt Zebra will lend me his if he still has it, so I might have to build one as well.
-rob skeoch

Zebra
07-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Lend is such a strong word Rob! I will make it available in ASHEVILLE if you find yourself down in the lower 48. Unfortunately you know Dinesh and therefore there is a screening requirement that doesn't apply to most folk!

Zebra

Dave Wooten
07-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Monty the whole town missed you this year, basketball is not the same without the Zebra....the heat is on. :)