PDA

View Full Version : What's everybody up to?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

dwross
09-15-2011, 09:51 PM
and two more.

wildbillbugman
09-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Denise,
The Staircase image is Great! But I am gonna stick to glass negatives! "Why?" one might ask. When fillm backing is earier to tote about. Just because I love glass. Besides, I have never been a high volume shooter. The cost of AgNO3 is making me slow down. I have 15 dry plates in my dark cabinet, waiting to be evaluated. But I have been occupied with other things. And also, I have been kinda slugish lately. I hope its not old age, because there ain't no cure for dat. I am hoping that my newest "comitment": Exersize every morning, will pull me out of it.
Bill

Photo Engineer
09-15-2011, 11:14 PM
And, while you do that, I am making up solutions and 10% gelatin for the workshop in October. Mark and I will be getting together to set up the lab on the 29th or 30th, and probably have lunch with a few of the guys. I have arranged for between 2 and 4 of the lunch group to join us for the workshop to offer comments and answer questions.

The workshop is filled and there is a waiting list at this time. Don't let this discourage anyone from at least signing up in case there is a last minute opening that takes place.

The sample DVDs shipped last week and the bulk boxes of DVD sets are sitting here next to me ready for shipping.

So, I have not been idle either.

Oh, and I have found 2 subbing layers for Acetate that may be of interest here so that ANY acetate support can be used for coating as long as it has nothing else coated on it that might detract from the photographic emulsion. I just need a minute or two to whip up the formula into more usable terms.

Best wishes to all.

PE

Mustafa Umut Sarac
09-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Denise ,

Lighthouse in fog image is great , it reminded me a book lighthouse at the end of the world book from jules verne , I read 30 years ago , one afternoon when I was at elementary and sick. Than I watched Kirk Douglas , Jul Bryner film and best memories ever. I liked the images carbon pencil which swirled with fingers like appearance. Very original look.

thank you very much for sharing , great art piece.

Umut

dwross
09-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Bill and Mustafa. Thank you for the kind words. They mean a lot.

Ron. Good luck with your workshop. A while back, I sent Mark three prints -- a contact print of a Whole Plate dry plate on my paper, a contact print of a commercial 5"x7" negative on the same recipe, and a 5-color silvergum print. I know you like to keep a monopoly on d.i.y. emulsions, and I can appreciate that, but I can't imagine a downside to showing folks what can be done. If you would, could you guys show around my prints to your workshop participants?

Also, if anyone is really interested in subbing acetate rather than purchasing subbed polyester, I have an excellent recipe. It does contain acetone and methyl alcohol, and it's stinky, so if there is something that smells better, I'd love to see the recipe. Ron, I know you won't have time until after the workshop, but looking forward to seeing it/them.

Flying off to pursue Luddite dreams,
d :)

Photo Engineer
09-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Denise, I am a bit confused by your words "keep a monopoly on". I don't have a web site concerning emulsions, you do. Many of us post here on APUG about emulsions including yourself. So, IDK what this is about.

As for items sent to Mark, please address your request to him. He has never mentioned your items to me at all, and the request that he use your work should come to him directly from you IMHO. Both of us will be teaching the course together. He is writing the outline and preparing the handout booklet. I am supplying formulas. And BTW, this will make quite a group of former students that will have extensive formulas and information on analog film and paper design given to them. This extends over more than 5 years of workshops here, in NYC and in Montana at the Formulary.

PE

Kirk Keyes
09-19-2011, 12:34 AM
Denise - great shots! I see you've been making the most of our cold summer here in Oregon.

wildbillbugman
09-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Kirk,
Glad to read that you are still alive and consious! How is that T-Grain emulsion comming along?
Denise and Ron and Everyone,
Denise's refference to "Silver-Gum" reminded me of an idea first posed (as far as I know) by Jim Browning, of Dye Transfer fame. He posed the posibilty of adding pigments to dye sensitised silver-halide emulsions for printing color separation work. This has always been in the back of my mind as I work on a panchromatic emulsion. Or even a 3-emulsion system, using 2 dyes. I wonder if anyone reading this post is awaire of any process,past or pressent that uses this concept.(?)
I ruined my last emulsion by being too stingy with my AgNO3. Images were just too weak. Now I must wait for my 29% ammonia (absolutely reqired) to arrive. Then I will up the Ag concentration a whopping X4.
Cheers,
Bill

Kirk Keyes
09-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Bill - i'm just hanging out up here, playing with my synthesizers for the summer.

Photo Engineer
09-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Summer is over in a few days. What then?

PE

wildbillbugman
09-20-2011, 01:55 AM
Kirk- What do your synthesizers synthesize? Sensitizing dyes? Or things less legal? Somehow I cannot picture you strung out on methanthetamine.
Always be kind to animals, to the mentaly chalenged and to photographic emulsion makers.
Bill

Kirk Keyes
09-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Bill - they synthesize beautiful sounds!

Ron - Tomorrow never knows...

Jerevan
09-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Kirk, are running old ARP 2600s and MiniMoogs or is it new-fangled stuff?

Me, I am just doing the usual armchairing stuff, but the photos that Denise put up got me thinking again... :)

wildbillbugman
09-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Jerevan,
Denise's work will do that! I call it "inspiration". I still say the staircase stands out - for detailed contrast. I just feel at home in dark places.
Bill

Photo Engineer
09-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Bill;

And my work does not inspire you? Who taught you all? Who captured your interest? :D

PE

michaelbsc
09-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Bill;

And my work does not inspire you? Who taught you all? Who captured your interest? :D

PE

Well, your work inspires me Ron. And as soon as I can get some of my other responsibilities out of the way I'll get back to the darkroom.

wildbillbugman
09-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Ron,
I was not awair that I had to choose. We are talking about two distnct types of "inspiration". Your work inspires the "tinkerer/technical/scientist" in me. That hapens to be the dominant part of me. I have not spoken of it befor because it is a daily dominent part of me. Just the daily ho-hum thing for 50 years. Denise inspires me with a leval of Art which eludes me. I tell people that I am not an artist, not a scientist, but a tinkerer. I make no apologies for that. It is just what I like to do. If I was an Arist, I would just try to "master" the formulas and procedures that other people have perfected. But my atraction to photograpic images on glass has forced me into the world of The Tinkerer.
I was taken by Denise's Spiral Staircase, the other three images,ehh, not so much. My eyes are very picky. Most images, no mater who did them, just get a "nice" out of me. and a "nice" without a capial "N".
Bill

Photo Engineer
09-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Bill;

You must have missed my smiley then. You don't have to choose in this case, as I fully understand, being both myself. I am a scientist / tinkerer and an artist as well. You can see that in my work with emulsions and with my photos themselves.

So, there is no problem, just a jesting comment. Under the circumstances, I thought you would get a good laugh from it.

Ron

wildbillbugman
09-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Yeh Ron, I did see the smiley face! And I did think that you were being humorous. It was me who "had" to get up on a "high horse". But I have a caustic sense of humor,soometimes, like any time befor noon ,Pacific Time. Ask any of the Great stand-up comics (the late George Carlin, for instance). Humor is Truth. But I know there is no problem.
Bill

Kirk Keyes
09-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Kirk, are running old ARP 2600s and MiniMoogs or is it new-fangled stuff?

Me, I am just doing the usual armchairing stuff, but the photos that Denise put up got me thinking again... :)

Yes - I actually do have an ARP 2600 and a Minimoog. Since you are familiar with those two synths, I also have a Jupiter 8, OB-8, D-50, JP-800, JP-8000, and a Rev 1 Prophet-5 - they only made 184 of the first revisions of the P-5. That's the highlights for synths, for samplers I also have a Roland S-50 with a mouse and video monitor so it's just like a little Fairlight (which I hope to get someday...), a Prophet 2000, and an Emulator II. Drum machines - I have a Linn LM-1 drum machine. I only have one synth from after 2000, almost all of it is mid 80s and earlier.

My musical influences range from Kraftwerk, JM Jarre, Human League, Depeche Mode, on up to Ladytron.

There's about 20 items in all in my collection. Lots of stuff to play with when you don't have time to get in the darkroom and work on making emulsions.