PDA

View Full Version : What's everybody up to?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Photo Engineer
09-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Enjoy the silence Kirk! :D

PE

wildbillbugman
09-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Kirk,
Can your synthesizers replicat Tunesion Throat Singing, or any style of Throat Singing? That is my currant audio facination. If you are not familiar with throat singing, I highly recommend . Google search for samples of various styles.
Bill

dyetransfer
09-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Hi Bill - I saw a group of Tuva throat singers at Dartmouth some years ago, it was great! They were from Mongolia IIRC. Not the sort of thing you see every day.

Mustafa Umut Sarac
09-22-2011, 12:48 PM
I love to listen Oberlinger Organs , I dont know they are described as synthesing something and I love Manzarek tube synth , they use it NBA and really wonderful.

Kirk Keyes
09-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Well, I found out what tomorrow knows... I ended up getting a cold and spending the last couple days sick.

Bill - I have heard throat singers. It's sure an odd sound, and rather synthetic sounding.

wildbillbugman
09-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Kirk,
I trust that you are being "tongue-in- cheek" about throat singing sounding synthetic. 'Tis the exact opposite.
Many, many years ago, I saw the then famous Indian Sitar master Ravi Shankar at Carnagie Hall. Their was a "back-up" musician who did percusion and vocals. Befor doing a purely vocal piece he made the statement that "all instruments can be duplicated by the Human voice." He then proved it. I think that he had it backwards, though.
Funny how fickle the public is. One year the House was sold out. When Shankar came back the very next hear, the Hall was almost empty.
Bill '

Jerevan
09-24-2011, 02:08 AM
Kirk,

quite an impressive setup of instruments you've got! I really love the sound of the early stuff, the analog ones. Music, that's my first love. Mum and Dad played all sorts of crazy 70's stuff on the stereo when I grew up so a lot of the 4/4th, eternal love lyrics things are just... not my kind of music. :) I used to dig Frank Zappa when I was 5 or 6 years old - in hindsight I am happy I didn't understand the lyrics, would have been too much for that tender age...

Kirk Keyes
09-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Bill - I find a lot of the different styles of throat singing very "synthetic" sounding - from the bass drones to the whistling overtones, they all sound as if they could be "electronic" to me! Synths have come a long way since Moog Modulars and Switched On Bach.

Jerevan - thanks!

I was really lucky that I started working in the mid-80s and had disposable income then that I could use to buy many of those synths back then. The digital synths were coming out and people were scrapping all their old analog stuff, and I was able to buy several synths that had cost $5000 just a couple years before for less than $400!
Hmmm, reminds me a lot like the camera world a couple years ago - especially for large format cameras.

Kirk Keyes
09-25-2011, 07:30 PM
BIll - was George Harrison playing with Shankar the first time you mentioned seeing him and not the second time?

And sitars are very cool sounding as well - very non-western sounding. I have a few floppy disks (5 1/4") for my Emulator II sampler with sitar samples on it. But the sampler doesn't really do justice to an original instrument like a sitar...

wildbillbugman
09-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Kirk,
There were Throat singers long befor Synthesizers,analog or digital. Had you heared throat singing in ,say 1956, would you think that they sounded
synthetic? I doubt that that word could have been applied to any form of music back then. Soon, the New York Philharmonic will be tuning its instruments to more closely sound like a digital recording. "Life immitating Art".
Bill

Photo Engineer
09-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Or art imitating life! ;)

Forbidden Planet, a movie released in 1956 and filmed in 1955 used synthesized music. (Elelectronic Music by Louis and Bebe Barron)

So......

Anyhow, back to what we are doing.

PE

dwross
09-28-2011, 04:28 PM
The first Great Travel Experiment is over and it all worked better than I could have hoped (and I'm a wildly optimistic person.) Travel with handmade film is identical to travel with any other kind of film. At no time was there a sense that I was 'working alternative.' It helped that I worked with TechPan sheet film for years. The film I was using last week exposes almost identically. My old habits kicked in and I didn't even use an exposure meter. Much better latitude than TechPan at development time, though. I can highly recommend the experience to anyone willing to embrace slow photography.

Best to you all, whatever your photographic (or musical :)) pursuits. carpe diem.
Denise
www.thelightfarm.com

Kirk Keyes
10-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Looks great, Denise!

Now was this roll film or plates or sheets?

dwross
03-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Hi Kirk,

Sorry to be so long responding, but I just saw your question! That trip was with 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 sheet film and a Baby Graphic camera. That seems so long ago! D.I.Y. film has come a long way since then. I shot ~ASA 100 ortho roll film with handheld cameras all last summer.

dwross
03-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Hi All,

I thought maybe it was time to resurrect this old thread. We can maybe morph it into a "post your ..." gallery. The GEH bromide emulsion (i.e. mostly dry plate) workshop is this week. Some good work should come from that. There are also the GEH alumni from the Cl paper workshops. A few people are actively following the Light Farm web workshops, and I have to assume other people are happily pursuing their own paths. If we all start posting here, we might be able to raise awareness enough to get 'dry plate' added to the ubiquitous list of alternative processes that always lists wet plate, but never dry! Of course, handmade silver gelatin isn't just dry plate. We've got glass, paper, and film all in our corner.

It's hard to over-emphasize how important it is to break through the perception barrier. Most people, even highly educated photographers and gallery managers, don't realize that handmade silver gelatin is possible, and it is an unfortunate fact of human nature that most people do not see what they do not already know exists. Let's update the perception of what's possible.

d

Photo Engineer
03-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Well, Denise, our first two emulsions were made by two groups of students. We had to use 2 darkrooms at GEH to fit them in. We cut and washed fresh 4x5 glass plates and they are drying. Tomorrow we noodle and wash the emulsions. Then they will be coated.

Later this week, Chris will demo the film emulsion on paper and film support and if time permits we will run tests. The students will learn 2 methods for plate coating and one for film coating.

We have students scheduled from all over the US and the UK.

Oh, and a tour of the archives with favorite photographers is also included for later this week. Mark asked each student for their favorite photographers. We will hopefully be able do that while the plates are drying.

We plan on following the same format for both weeks.

PE

dwross
03-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Sounds like a perfectly excellent good time. I heard from Mark last night and he is very happy with how things are going. He's got my fingers crossed that your snow storm cooperates with shooting those gorgeous plates! We haven't had enough snow this year. Don't shoot me, but I envy you Lake Effect folks :)

Best of days to you and GEH,
d

Photo Engineer
03-19-2013, 06:41 PM
The plates I saw today look wonderful.

We will do some film and paper coatings on Thursday.

Everyone seems happy.

PE

dwross
03-20-2013, 10:41 AM
I hope you can encourage the participants to post here. I saw a few of the plates from yesterday. Really terrific.

Photo Engineer
03-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Lots of nice pics today. More coming tomorrow. Then paper and film.

We are moving forward and working hard. Several repeat students and much pressure to move onward.

many demos by the staff of GEH with KUDOS to them!

PE