PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 19 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17

Mike Wilde
03-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Comments on cards recieved since my last round of comments:

Allen Friday –Night carousel – a very nice blur of a carnival carousel by night, at what looks like the base of a scale model of the Eifel tower - the tongue in cheek of about the line that it is another night around town was appreciated here.

Dominbox – Rose in dew. This is a very nice delicate image. Sharp foreground, good use of shallow DOF , and the subject works well with the high contrast look of the paper it as printed on

Matt King – Cedars on cliff. They are rendered in a nice tone that suits the feel of the subject, as does the paper surface. There is good detail in the shadows, and a nice bit of white sky poking though in spots as well, A full range if tones on a toned print. Very nice. This is something I usually screw up when I try my hand at toning.

McKenna – Old Coins.. A pleasing still life, and a great snapshot of a cache of old coins, and the stories they trigger to whoever has gathered them.

M Thorley – Claire Valley. Delightful; this is just as I remember it, from when we holidayed in the area. Very eloquent, and an very representative image, with the flat plains among rolling hills, expressed in a perfect contrast range for the scene.

Polyglot - Great details and mid-tone crispness. This card also made it to me despite the stamp falling off somewhere after the bar codes were stamped on it by Canada Post.

RT Badman – Generating Station. I like the way your eye is drawn from the centre of the image to the top of each chimney, and out to the right top corner. A bit more development time to build highlight density and lighten the sky in the print, might have strengthened the image a bit, but you might have lost the ladder detail in the white bands of the stacks.

TimK Ankgor Wat – The sharp square window openings, contrast wonderfully with the round pools of light that they cast onto the opposite wall of this corridor. The corridor leading off to the white space at its end is very nice as well. The use of the negative space on each side is very good also. All round a very nice image.

I now just have 10 images to print and dry and I will be sending my submission out. The dust has finally settled, and we are now temporarily back to living in the living room of the house again.

polyglot
03-24-2010, 05:58 AM
Glad to hear mine are arriving. Those without stamps were bulk-franked by the PO

Laurent
03-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Today MattKing's Cliffhanger arrived in my box. I love forests, and I love this card ! Lighting is great, and the detail amazing (and makes it even harder for me to resist to GAS and be confident my Rolleiflex is all I need :D )

Patrick Latour
03-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Received Allen Friday`s postcard. I love this "typical" Iowa image. I am amazed of all the details even for a night image. Thanks for a such beautiful card. For myself I had a lot of work recently, but everything is ok now, so I should finish my prints and post them by the end of the week.

johnnywalker
03-25-2010, 02:21 PM
I've received the following cards:

Lori's '55 Willys. Well done, but it looks like you've got a ways to go in the restoration!
Mick Fagan's wheat silos. Nice composition, sky, and contrast. Quite different from our wheat silos I think.
Darwin's Old Woman Road. Very nice, lots of interesting detail. Is that a walker around the signpost?
Laurent's river and boat picture from France. Dark and moody, I like it.
Rachelle's IR picture of the cemetery angel in France. The IR suits the subject very well.
Allen Friday's Carousel picture from Iowa, and what looks like the bottom of the Eiffel tower?? Neat photo, whatever is going on there!
Roger Thom's Ravenswood Generating Station. A very well done industrial picture, perfect light level for the subject.
Mark Thorley's old crop seeder in South Australia. Nice composition, tones and contrast. Conveys a feeling of emptiness and reminds me of our Okanagan area near me.
Don Morrison's very lovely red rose, nice to get a colour card mixed in with the b&w's!
Yesterday I also received the card of Daniel, the picture I took in Guyana and mailed in Vietnam. I was beginning to wonder if any of the north american ones would show up at all. It took almost a month to get here.

drpsilver
03-26-2010, 01:41 AM
Darwin's Old Woman Road. Very nice, lots of interesting detail. Is that a walker around the signpost?

25 Mar 2010

The walker is tied to the post with "cable ties" so it does not walk away.

I have received several cards since my last post.

The card from Black Dog of a nice summer afternoon in the water.
The print from MattKing reminds me of my adventure across the Capilano Bridge. You get to the middle and your wife begins to make the bridge bounce driving me crazy.
The photo from amiett makes me want to go for a walk in this forest. I like how the shadows draw the viewer into the print. Nicely done.
Mthorley's photo of an abandoned cart is reminiscent of the Great Plains in the US.
I really like mckenna's photo of coins. It gives the viewer a lot to look at, and think about. Well done!
"Carousel and Tower" by Allen Friday is a very "cross cultural experience" - the very American carousel vs. the very French Eiffel Tower. How tall is the tower? Certainly not a 1:1 replica.
A nice color print from donminbox.

Regards,
Darwin

Patrick Latour
03-26-2010, 04:37 PM
I received polyglot's card today. Dude, never apologies for such a nice image. I see a lot of things in it. Curiously, there is no stamp on it.
Thanks for a such nice card. Finally printed my cards yesterday, everything should be in the mail by Monday.

crispinuk
03-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Hello everybody,
Thanks for all the cards sent to me, it's been a particularly crazy month and I suddenly realised it's almost the end of the send out time, but I have finally wrestled with a mail merge program and got everything addressed so it's just a trip to the Post Office tomorrow to get some stamps and the cards should be on their way before the end of the month. I'd b interested to hear how they survive the worlds postal systems.

Crispin

Patrick Latour
03-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Finished to write a personal note on every of them, everything is in the mail as of today (won't leave the post office before tonight or Monday morning). If you do not receive my card, let me know, I printed a couple of extras !!!

Tim Gray
03-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Wooo. Just finished printing all my cards. They will go out tomorrow. Also have received these since the last time I posted.

Mckenna - Cool macro shot of the coins. We don't see enough macro shots in the postcard exchange.
Johnnywalker - Wonderful portrait and great print.
Matt King - putting the new camera to good use! I really like the tone of this print too - is it all from the developer?

MattKing
03-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Wooo. Just finished printing all my cards. They will go out tomorrow. Also have received these since the last time I posted.

Mckenna - Cool macro shot of the coins. We don't see enough macro shots in the postcard exchange.
Johnnywalker - Wonderful portrait and great print.
Matt King - putting the new camera to good use! I really like the tone of this print too - is it all from the developer?

Thanks to all who've commented about my cards (and Capilano Canyon :)).

As to the tone of the print, here is what I posted earlier (it even is addressed to "Tim" :)):

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum179/71160-postcard-exchange-round-19-comments-feedback-20.html#post966155

markrewald
03-28-2010, 08:18 PM
I am going to have to apologize for being late on my post cards. I thought I would try toning. It didn't work the way I thought it would. So I will have to reprint. Sorry...

Tim Gray
03-28-2010, 08:39 PM
As to the tone of the print, here is what I posted earlier (it even is addressed to "Tim" :)):

Haha, nice. I've never toned before, but I like the look you got on the card that I got. Which is good, because I have some newly ordered selenium toner and some brown toner too.

paul_c5x4
03-29-2010, 06:44 AM
First, an apology. I've been somewhat tardy in getting my cards out. They were printed way back in January, and have been posted today.

To date, have received:

rtbadman - Ravenswood Generating Station
Allen Friday - Carousel and Tower
mthorley - Old Crop Seeder
donminbox - pink Rose
TimVermont - Bascule Bridge

(lorirfrommontana & drpsilver's both arrived ages ago.)

KWhitmore
03-29-2010, 09:35 AM
More cards for comment!

McKenna's old coins- What a cool idea! Really interesting and well done. Even the arrangement of the coins is superb!

Mark T's old crop seeder- Quiet country feeling to this one, it's too bad the post office got a little rough with it. (bent and torn!)

Matt's cliffhanger- I don't care how you spell it, it's gorgeous! I love the warm tones and the detail is excellent. Looks like a beautiful area for exploring.

BlackDog's beach scene- Somehow I knew this card was yours before I looked at the back. How cool is that? The high key tones in this are simply yummy. (don't know how else to say it) It's so well done I feel like I'm there, (I wish!) and the sparkly bits in the water are the icing on the cake.

And finally gordrob's Albertosaurus- I can't help but smile when I see this card...DINOSAUR! The memories! I'm instantly transported back to numerous family trips to Drumheller and the Tyrrell museum. Love that place. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone this round! My cards will go out in a day or so.

Kathy

Black Dog
03-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks!-I've got quite into my high key printing recently [well even TJC is doing it...:D].It can be quite challenging striking the right balance though as you really need to watch the drydown. I'll pass your comments on to my models [my parents and some very old family friends].

gurkenprinz
03-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Hi everybody, I received quite a few cards last week:

From Black Dog, a very interesting beach scene that has a dreamy feel to it. I like the reflections on the water and the "sea air" this photo makes me smell!
Matt King sent me his cliffhanger tree: beautiful tone indeed, and a very detailed print to boot! I like the light in this photo and how the rocks contrast the trees.
Last but not least, I received an envelope from Mike Wilde with three photos. Two portraits, well photographed and printed and with interesting explanations. I like the high key one better, great expression on the model! Third photo was my favourite of the bunch as I am a keen admirer of all things old and rotten. With the low contrast print, you have captured the transcience of all things human. (hope i did use that word correctly?)

So thank you three and all others for the nice photos!

Christopher Walrath
03-31-2010, 09:11 PM
I received Tim's postcard today. I think I now understand what is meant by 'That Leica Glow'. Great print.

Laurent
04-01-2010, 06:11 AM
I got two "cards" yesterday :

Crispin's iceland house, lovely print of a lovely place. The second card in color in this exchange.

Mike Wilde's enveloppe with three (actually 4, but there's a duplicate) nice prints. Two very classical portraits, and a view of an old radio shack. The low contrast adds a lot to the old radio equipment.

Thanks for these !

trotkiller
04-01-2010, 06:13 AM
Bought some labels last week, hopefully will have my prints in the mail soon, sorry for the delay people