PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 19 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17

kraker
04-01-2010, 03:30 PM
After some busy weeks, I thought I'd take some time to comment on the cards I received so far. I may have commented on a few of them already, but never mind that; I'll just go through the whole stack in front of me.

mooseontheloose, a beautiful and dreamy IR shot. Great, as usual.
donminbox, first a regular postcard (and although that was not the object of this exchange, it's still a nice card), then later a correction with a card of a rose. Thanks for the effort.
Mick Fagan, wheat silos. A truly stunning print. The silos, the material with the sunlight reflecting off it, the sky, the foreground... It's as if I'm there. (Except for the temperature, I guess.) Great print.
drpsilver, a nice shot, funny and serious at the same time.
TimVermont, nice 'minimalistic' shot, great toning.
Laurent, Lovely shot. Sharp, detailed, and a great view.
lorirfrommontana, nice detail of your Willys Wagon. "Yet unrestored", well, as long as you don't restore it, it makes for a great subject for photos. (Then again, it would also make a great subject once restored. I guess that's not yet planned for the next postcard exchange? ;) )
rtbadman, great print, I like these industrial shots. Just got back from New York myself, but didn't go much further than Manhatten. Guess I have to travel there again. (Oh, tough luck! :p)
mthorley, crop seeder. So nice to see all these different landscapes from across the world. Thanks.
crispinuk, Iceland again. Well, you can't go wrong there, at least not for me. Great colours, great composition.
Tim Gray, snowy/rainy day. Lovely mood. I've been thinking about this. It's so easy to stay indoors when it's raining, but it is also possible to get some really great shots taken, a whole different mood than the sunny f/16 weather. I like this a lot, it's inspiring.

If I haven't accidentally left some cards between stacks of mail, then this is what I have received to date. I was going to apologise for being late this round, but as I've received 11 out of 25, I see I am certainly not the only one. Nevertheless, I apologise.

The weather forecast for the long Easter weekend is not too good, so either I will let myself be inspired by Tim Gray and go out & shoot some rainy shots, or (and that's my plan) I will spend some time in the darkroom.
Hopefully, I can print my cards this weekend, and address them next week.

hoffy
04-02-2010, 03:03 AM
Howdy All,

My cards have finally hit the post box. They were sent yesterday, but with the Friday and Monday public holidays in Australia for Easter, there may be a bit of a delay till they hit their destinations. I have done a total of 5 different negs, so I hope those who got the shot they did, like them.

Also, a bit of an interesting note.....please don't sue me for breach of copyright, but I have set up a similar postcard exchange on another general photography forum. There are subtle differences (while I had made it open, the most anyone has to send is 10), the group that are involved have taken to it like ducks to water and are getting a lot out of the exchange.

I have also been receiving cards as well since, so I think its only right that I thank and comment on them. In no particular order (OK, the order they are in, on the pile in front of me on the desk...):

Laurent Nice snow covered track through the forest. A few scratches, but I like the wintery feel of the picture
Mthorley Crop seeder in the Clare Valley. Thanks for bringing something closer to my home then yours, to me!
Lori Willys door handle. I'm always a sucker for a nice car shot. Hope you have plenty of filler for the project...
polyglot Beng Mealea Moat. Fantastic eerie feeling.
mooseontheloose Statue, Pere Lachaise Cemetery. There is just something about those HIE shots. Interesting results
rtbadman Power Station, Queens. The processing suits the industrial scene. Suprised you didn't get arrested???
Allen FridayCarousel. Nice long exposure
Tim Trapp Adobe Wall. Love the textures. Reminds me so much of the burnt limestone plastered buildings from where I grew up
DRPSilver Old Woman Road. Teehehe. Nearly looks like a bicycle lock on the walking frame.
Mick Fagan Silo's. Another that reminds me of where I grew up. Hmmmm, Orange filter....must remember that.
McKenna Old coins. This one is my wifes favourite
Black Dog Beach. Nice summertime feel
Dominbox two cards, the commercial one and the Rose. Like the shot and the colours, but the labs digital conversion has, well, overly digified the shot.

So, thats 13. I know that I should get a few more over the next two months.

Cheers

Laurent
04-02-2010, 07:06 AM
Today Tim Gray's "wintery mix" made it to my home. The mood is perfectly rendered, it's a postcard I might keep at hand for the hottest weather, when I long for the winter to get back !!

Mike Wilde
04-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Mike Wilde's envelope with three (actually 4, but there's a duplicate)

I knew there was one out there somewhere. I got to the end of the envelope stuffing session and was a print short on the sw fb.

Roger Thoms
04-02-2010, 10:56 PM
I also received Mike's triple set. What a pleasant surprise. I especially like the two portraits.

Roger

OMU
04-03-2010, 03:16 AM
I have to admit that I'm late with my postcards this round,
but I will be making the during the next days and send them after easter.

- OM

TimVermont
04-04-2010, 08:41 PM
The most recent set of postcards I've received were badly abused, whether they came from near or far. Some updates:
Mike's Triple set, the only ones unscathed. Given what international mail costs, this may be the way to go.
Polyglot's Moat, the mist gives a terrific mix of the solid and ethereal.
Tim Gray's Wintery Mix, weather which I'm happy to have left behind!
Crispin's print from Iceland-very abused by the PO, but it makes me want to go.
Patrick's Wonderful selective focus shot of a dew-covered leaf.
Jake's Cool print, which puts a new meaning to squaring the circle.

I mailed my last batch a few weeks ago and hope they've arrived in good shape.

mooseontheloose
04-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi everyone,

I now have a permanent address in Japan, so if you haven't sent me your card yet, please pm me and I'll send you the updated version of my address. If you've already sent your card, I'll get it eventually via my parents. Cheers.

Patrick Latour
04-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Patrick's Wonderful selective focus shot of a dew-covered leaf.

I am happy to see that my first postcard ever, arrived at destination, too bad that it was damaged, but it is part of the postcard spirit.

KWhitmore
04-06-2010, 11:46 AM
I sent my cards last week but there may be a problem Houston.... :-(

One of the ladies working the P.O. counter brought out a device for measuring letters and whatnot...long story short...my cards were smaller than the measuring thingy's opening.

At that point she said I would have to add 4 dollars more postage onto every freaking card...!!! (she didn't say freaking) And more for the international ones. Gasp!

So then I bit back some well chosen statements filling my head as I should as a nice Canadian....finally my slippery comeback was "I've never had a problem before!"...to which the PO lady said ominously, "oh well, try and send them then". Which I did.

Bottom line. If for "some reason" my cards don't make their way to all of you, (on my list) please tell me. Or if (oh the horror) your P.O. asks you to pay postage on my cards, please refuse them and let me know ASAP. That way I can re-do and re-send all my cards, sob! (by the way, I paid the postage to receive one persons card this round, bizarre!)

Sorry for the longish sob story...I was totally freaked out and unprepared for this!

Kathy

Roger Thoms
04-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Kathy, I'll be on the lookout for your card. Sounds like the Canadian Postal Service leaves a bit to be desired.

Roger

paul_c5x4
04-06-2010, 12:36 PM
One of the ladies working the P.O. counter brought out a device for measuring letters and whatnot...long story short...my cards were smaller than the measuring thingy's opening.

Sounds like an April 1st joke of poor taste. I thought there was an internationally agreed min/max size for postcards so that this kind of thing did not happen.

Maybe time to contact head office and get a definitive answer in writing.

edit - canadapost.ca (http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/send/lettersdocuments.jsf) says: Length: 140-235 mm
Width: 90-120 mm
Thickness: at least 0.18 mm
Weight: Up to 50 g

OMU
04-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Hello to all;
My cards were posted to day. Apologise for being late.

MattKing
04-06-2010, 01:23 PM
The US postal service accepts 3.5" wide postcards (e.g. 3.5" x 5"). Canada Post insists on a minimum width that is at least a couple of millimetres wider.

I had a box of 3.5" x 5" Ilford paper that came for free with my enlarger.

Confession time - in this round, my cards to the USA were 3.5" x 5" (and mailed from Washington State for $0.28 each!)

KWhitmore
04-06-2010, 02:27 PM
So...I've just measured one of my extras and it's 3 3/4" x 4 7/8". Is it really just 3mm that this person was threatening me about? I can't imagine...I think they've lost their postie minds! ;-) Still, my apologies in advance in case there's trouble over this.

@Matt- 28 cents? hmmmm... (Marge groan)

Kathy

MattKing
04-06-2010, 04:56 PM
So...I've just measured one of my extras and it's 3 3/4" x 4 7/8". Is it really just 3mm that this person was threatening me about? I can't imagine...I think they've lost their postie minds! ;-) Still, my apologies in advance in case there's trouble over this.

@Matt- 28 cents? hmmmm... (Marge groan)

Kathy

Kathy:

It looks like your problem is with the length of the card - the minimum length is 5 1/2".

The USPS rate for international (not Canada) postage for postcards is $0.98 USD vs. $1.70 in Canada.

I was really tempted to send my international cards from the USA as well.

hoffy
04-07-2010, 03:22 AM
Today I received a nice wintry shot from Tim Gray. Really like the mood of this shot. Nearly makes me want to go give the young guy an umbrella.

Cheers

Patrick Latour
04-07-2010, 11:40 AM
I got a beautiful card from Tim Gray this morning. The light is incredible. Thanks.

Laurent
04-07-2010, 11:45 AM
I received Patrick Latour's "Jour de Pluie" yesterday. Lovely close-up of drops on a leaf, I like the low-key and the selective focus a lot. Thank you, Patrick !

kraker
04-07-2010, 03:21 PM
If I haven't accidentally left some cards between stacks of mail, then this is what I have received to date.

I knew I shouldn't have said that. I found two more between a stack of recent mail, sorry about that:

Black Dog, Deal #2, nice high-key beach shot. Four heads above the water, they make for a great composition. And... no WW II bunkers this time, what happened? ;)
polyglot, Cambodia. Also a great shot and a great print, the light shining through the trees, the kid by the waterside, the reflections in the water; nice.

And one "fresh" card as well (didn't get temporarily lost between a stack of mail):

Allen Friday, Carousel and Tower. Typical Iowa image? Could have been Paris for all I know! :D Lovely evening/night shot, beautiful print.

My cards are printed (I'm glad I chose to do 25 this round and not more; I had exactly 27 sheets of Postcard paper left once I had done the test strips... Talk about a close call). Still need to address them, though. I plan to have them all on their way within a week from now.