PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 19 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Rob Skeoch
04-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Wow am I far behind. Just printed them this week.
-rob

Patrick Latour
04-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Yesterday I got Trotkiller`s Lighthouse. First time I can see the result of ERA and also Formatol P. Nice piece of work.

I also got Black Dog`s bunker 11. A lot of textures when you look at the concrete and a lot of details when you look at the plants in the front. Contact printed ? Another super sharp card.

Thanks guys.

Black Dog
04-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks Patrick-it was enlarged from APX 400 developed in PCAT with minimal [every 3 mins] agitation which really kicks up the sharpness. The sidelighting helps to pick out the details as well.

Patrick Latour
04-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks Patrick-it was enlarged from APX 400 developed in PCAT with minimal [every 3 mins] agitation which really kicks up the sharpness. The sidelighting helps to pick out the details as well.

The sharpness is so incredible, I was almost sure that it was contact printed. Anyways, a real great print.

2F/2F
04-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Ok, folks. I have received about 15 cards, and I have not made the time to do mine yet. I've been super busy at work 40 hours a week, plus a second job another 16 per week at night, so I have been dragging my feet.

I will make a definite point of printing them this weekend!

I have a question, though. I have decided to keep with the baseball theme from the last exchange in which I participated (pic of Jackie Robinson bust dwarfing a white lady on a bench). Do you want:

1. Ruins of Tiger Stadium, after the final pavilion was destroyed for good, on IR film. Tiger Stadium opened in 1912, on the same day as Boston's Fenway Park, and until its destruction, was tied with Fenway for the honor of being the oldest ballpark in the U.S.A. Most of it had been torn down a few years prior to the removal of the remaining pavilion, but there was some public outcry, and the diamond and one pavilion were spared from the initial demolition. There was talk of converting it into a museum, and/or using it for film productions. Nobody came up with any money or concrete plans over a period of several years, however, and this past summer, the Detroit City Council decided to demolish and sell the rubble of remainder of the stadium for $400,000 in scrap money. My picture was taken from across the street from the roof of my car after the pavilion had been largely crushed, but before all the pieces had been carted off. The field and the diamond were still there at the time of the shot, and from across the street with my high vantage point, this created a brilliant sliver of maximum white right through the middle of the print. My tribute to Tiger Stadium, a historic American icon allowed to be destroyed by a combination of apathy, lack of money, lack of respect, and short-term greed and corruption over long-term city planning and development for the future. Representative of Detroit and the way it is run, representative of this country and the way it is run, and representative of the death and/or transformation of baseball's old-time spirit.

2. My shot of Barry Bonds in the outfield at Dodger Stadium, when he was one shy of tying Hank Aaron's career home run record. I hoped to see him tie it, and perhaps break it, but it did not happen in this three-game series. The shot is on 35mm Delta 3200, but I crop off the right 1/3 of the shot to make it square format when I print it. It is just a wash of grainy, diagonally-stripey outfield, with a lone Bonds tucked into the lower left corner, his hand on his hip. The way I see it, the shot shows my conflicted thoughts on Bonds. I wanted to show respect for him and my awe of the man's athletic talents by representing him dramatically iconic in his professional environment, with an obvious shot from the stands, like an admiring fan would shoot. One of the greatest players to ever play the game; no doubt in my mind. At the same time, I think the shot shows via composition and mood how his drug use has ostracized him and sadly spoiled this image forever. I don't even like to say the man was great anymore, and nor do most. It is sad to me. He was a guy who was already going to be one of the greats of all time. He didn't need to do what he did...but the pressures that be in professional sports got to him. As opposed to simply being one of the greatest of the great to me, he is now a guy who saw how great he was, and wasn't satisfied with it. He saw how much greater he could be if he could exercise more often (which is all steroids allow one to do; they do not build muscle, but speed the healing of muscle tissue, to allow one to work out more often), got greedy (for both reasons that internal and external), and ended up disrespecting the entire sport. To me, he is the ultimate symbol of the joke that professional sports have become due to financial pressures; a fallen, tainted, flawed hero of sorts...quite classic, really. They are sort of a love/hate thing for me, and I just wanted to get that across with this picture.

Here are the people on my exchange list:

1. Allen Friday
2. BirgerA
3. Black Dog
4. crispinuk
5. donminbox
6. drpsilver
7. DrZish
8. Laurent
9. lorirfrommontana
10. markrewald
11. mckenna
12. Mick Fagan
13. mooseontheloose
14. mthorley
15. OMU
16. photomem
17. polyglot
18. Rob Skeoch
19. rst
20. rtbadman
21. Tim Gray
22. timk
23. TimVermont
24. trotkiller
25. wazza

david James lee
04-22-2010, 11:32 PM
i think number one....

rst
04-23-2010, 12:48 AM
OK, I am late too, my cards are printed (also my daughter printed her cards) and I will send them after the weekend.

2F/2F I opt for the second one.

Cheers
Ruediger

Laurent
04-23-2010, 01:49 AM
... Do you want:...

I'd like #2
Thanks

Laurent

mooseontheloose
04-23-2010, 02:36 AM
Number One I think, although they both sound great.

OMU
04-23-2010, 08:14 AM
#2 for me, please.
- and thanks for the service!

Mike Wilde
04-23-2010, 08:35 AM
A summary of comments on the cards that have arrived since I last commented:

BlackDog – “Really” early light #2 – the first shafts of day start to penetrate the evening gloom. This might be a time to put the shadows on zone 4 (even if you are not into the zone system I hope you get my drift) It also could be a case of pushing development to expand an inherently low contrast scene.

Crispink – Abandon Iceland - A hauntingly barren fantastic colour print. Oh the life that the original builder put in to establish on such a site. Also good old Velvia..

KWhitmore – Gift shop of horrors – Great full tonal range and a sharp print. I hope you know the growling subject. Otherwise the …of horrors part would make a lot more sense.

markrewald - Snowy parking meter A great capture of a fleeting scene, with a neat tiny accent of the figure starting to cross the street. I really like the black margin that you did to hold the light toned image from spilling to the paper edge.

OMU – dock covered n snow – Nice and delicate with the great reflections in the still water to provide a contrasting surface to that which the snow presents. The off kilter horizon as shown in the water line on my print is kind of a turn off to me, though.

RobSkeotch – Mont Blanc. There is certainly evidence of an expert eye to have used the orange filter to put just the right amount of contrast punch into this image. Stunningly crisp optics at play are also visible here.

TimGrey – Enjoy the first snow – I like the way that the grass is covered, but the shrubbery is not, and how there are no piles of snow turned ice that show up later in the year. I think it was worth it getting this first snow shot, even though you took all of the rest of the snow last winter that I usually end up getting to shovel where I live.

Trotkiller – Taz Lighthouse. A nice scene – but did it really need stand development? The print shows great details but the overall effect is low in contrast from the way I would have printed it.

Laurent
04-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Today I got :

Mark Rewald's Snow storm, which I like a lot. The black border adds to the image, and I think it makes the high key effect more effective.

Wayne Frederick's Ohio tomatoes. Did I already say I love close-ups ? :D Well, I love close ups, and this is one is great. The rendeition of the textures is amazing, and I love the composition !

markrewald
04-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks guys! Very nice comments and appreciated considering I was extremely late with sending them out.

hoffy
04-23-2010, 08:08 PM
I Mark,

I received your Denver Snow storm as well...... I was always told the photographing snow was hard. You (and the rest of the others who have sent snow postcards) have nailed it! Nice seeing how the rest of the world lives!

On another note, have others been receiving mine? I have only seen evidence that 1 has got through.... (they were sent at the start of the month).

Black Dog
04-24-2010, 04:36 PM
2F-both sound interesting.
Hoffy-pretty certain I got yours although I'm in the middle of a move at the mo.
Kraker-I'll print some more WW2 bunkers up for a future round though I have quite a few related pics not used in the Ag 56 spread.

Christopher Walrath
04-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Rob Skeoch's Mont Blanc showed up in my box this very day. WOO HOO! A divergence from recent subject material. I always looked forward to images from the China series. But this mountain landscape is ABSOLUTELY right up my alley. I suppose if I lived on unflat land it might be otherwise. But this is a great print. Thank you so much for sending it to me, Rob.

Laurent
04-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Rob Skeoch's Mont Blanc showed up in my box this very day. WOO HOO! A divergence from recent subject material. I always looked forward to images from the China series. But this mountain landscape is ABSOLUTELY right up my alley. I suppose if I lived on unflat land it might be otherwise. But this is a great print. Thank you so much for sending it to me, Rob.

I received yesterday, and also love it. This landscape is simply gorgeous, and the print is great also ! Thanks a lot !

Rob Skeoch
04-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks guys. I forgot to post that I actually got my prints in the mail this week. Hope you enjoy them.
-rob

Christopher Walrath
04-25-2010, 08:51 PM
I always enjoy anything you send, Rob. Again, I apologize for my own uncharacteristic tardiness this round. I hope to turn something out on the quick.

rst
04-30-2010, 04:39 AM
I just came back from the post office. My postcards and those of my daughter are in the mail now and should arrive in your mailbox soon.

Please excuse that I am so late this round, but I was a bit busy. Next round will be a better round for me.

I will start the signup for the next round on Sunday and hope all of you will show up in round 20.

Cheers
Ruediger