PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 19 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Christopher Walrath
02-18-2010, 05:57 PM
I am in the process of sending out the proper photo postcards, and I ask your forgiveness for the delay.

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!

Yeah, right. I've never screwed up before. I'm perfect.

No problem. Wanted to let everyone know that I got Tim Trapp's Adobe Wall and Window. Great toning for the subject. I think it puts it right over the edge. Great print and a welcome sight after a long day looking at a pegboard wall full of battery calble and spray paint.

Roger Thoms
02-20-2010, 02:46 AM
Received Lori's card yesterday. Nice detail shot of a Willys door handle and broken window. I'm a big fan of broken rusty things so I enjoyed the print. USPS was a little rough and the post card is in the dry mount press being flattened, for some reason they folded it in half.

Roger

BirgerA
02-20-2010, 03:24 AM
I received the 'Trees, Gills Lap' from Jostie two days ago. Nice tones and contrast, and I especially like the bent tree on the right hand side.

Regards

Birger A.

timk
02-20-2010, 04:48 AM
USPS was a little rough ..., for some reason they folded it in half.

bunch of savages in this town.....

;)

finished printing mine the other day, so off they go next week!

lorirfrommontana
02-20-2010, 10:12 AM
That paper just won't flatten well either! I had my postcards under books for several days and it just wouldn't get the curl out. Next time I'm using the postcard paper! I received 2 Great postcards over the last couple of darys. DRPSILVER's "Old Woman Road, NAPA" and Jostie's "Trees, Gills Lap". Both wonderfull images! This exchange is so much fun!

Christopher Walrath
02-20-2010, 10:25 AM
I got Darwin's Old Woman Road, NAPA' yesterday as well as Lori's Project. Both very good prints. Great focus and detail. I love them both.

amiett
02-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Just printed the last cards for the exchange. I hope to send them on monday...

I've already received three cards.

Rachelle: The canopy has really nice glow in this photo. The statue is beautiful and reminds me of my last spring visit to Paris. I didn't go photographing to that same cemetery, but two others. Looking forward to get there again.

Mick Fagan: Outstanding detail and image quality! The landscape is very different from the one we have in most parts of Finland. I couldn't probably survive 40c. Right now we have something like -20c here :)

donminbox: received the pre-printed card. Looking forward to see the proper card.

Thank you for your cards! It's nice to come home from work and find your photos in the mail instead of the bills and ads i'm usually getting.

Roger Thoms
02-20-2010, 12:30 PM
That paper just won't flatten well either! I had my postcards under books for several days and it just wouldn't get the curl out. Next time I'm using the postcard paper! I received 2 Great postcards over the last couple of days. DRPSILVER's "Old Woman Road, NAPA" and Jostie's "Trees, Gills Lap". Both wonderful images! This exchange is so much fun!

Lori, the print flatten nicely in the dry mount press. I turned the press on for 5 minutes, turned if off, then put the your postcard in and left it overnight. Still has a crease but that adds to the charm of the image.

Roger

johnnywalker
02-20-2010, 01:08 PM
I've printed and addressed mine, but am leaving for Vietnam and Laos today. I think I'll try mailing them from there. I'm back mid-March, so if some didn't arrive I'll re-send them then.

Laurent
02-20-2010, 03:25 PM
I received Lori's card today. Great close up of a car's door, I'd love to see more !

2F/2F
02-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Shoot...I haven't even picked out a negative yet, so some of you are well ahead of me!

I thought I was going to print one of my shots of the ruins of Tiger Stadium, but I wasn't sure it would mean much to the international participants, so I started thinking better of it.

Also, in the last postcard exchange in which I participated, the pic I printed was a bit baseball themed as well, so......

TimVermont
02-20-2010, 05:48 PM
I've been away for work for a bit, so a wonderful haul in my postbox this morning:

Rachelle's wonderful derelict house, Old Burr Homestead, on HIE, made on a paper I've never seen before, cool!
Gurkenprinz's Happy Nuns which brings back some happy paper memories of learning to print on Brovira.
Jostie's card of part of Winnie the Pooh's world, handsomely printed on 13x18cm stock.
Darwin's fun visual,"Old Woman Road, Napa"
Lori's car window detail-much appreciated as I often find myself drawn to the same type of subject matter.
Last but not least Mick's strongly composed "Wheat Silos", which arrived in absolutely pristine condition despite having come the farthest.

About half of my cards have been sent. I've mixed it up this round and sent a few different subjects and different tonings including Selenium and Iodine. I'll post them to the gallery a few weeks after they've all been mailed.

Tim

Patrick Latour
02-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Just got those amazing silos from Mick. They are incredible, so nice that in fact it makes me shy to send mines...
Great job Mick !!!

david James lee
02-22-2010, 01:03 PM
I also got my first ever postcard exchange print. beautiful print from Mick, really liked it. the postal office promptly stamped it, on the image!!!! ( i think i'm going postal....)
now i feel just like Patrick does. hope mine measures up to the quality here.

Patrick Latour
02-22-2010, 07:12 PM
i feel just like Patrick does. hope mine measures up to the quality here.

I know that mine will not measures up, but I think that as long as I do my best at all stages of the process (shooting, developing, printing), I think they can have the same value, for me at least... But geez, I would like to print like they do :(

Tim Gray
02-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Got these in the last week:

Gurkenprinz - happy nuns! They look... happy. haha. Fun photo.
Lori - great texture on the car door.
Jostie - Love the feeling I get from the photo of the trees.
Darwin - haha. great eye. I would have missed the road sign or the walker.
Mick - wow sharp. I'm always blown away by large format prints since I rarely see them. Lovely composition.

MattKing
02-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Iíve vowed to respond more promptly to the cards Iíve received for this exchange. So far Iíve received the following six:

donminbox - a colourful commercially printed card. I understand that a replacement will soon be provided, but I thank Don for sending this one anyways
gurkenprinz - Two Happy Nuns-great smiles
drpsilver - Old Woman Road, Napa-nice print, and a subject that brings rise to a smile
lorirfrommontana - Grain Elevator with Flag-I like the flag!
Mick Fagan - Donald (Victoria) wheat silos-a striking and dramatic print
mooseontheloose - Old Burr Homestead-an eerie and striking image, Rachelle-you really have a knack with HIE

Six cards received so far, and 24 yet to come.

Thanks to everyone for participating.

Matt

Mick Fagan
02-23-2010, 03:04 AM
David, Patrick,
Do not under any circumstances think any postcard print you send, is better or worse than what anyone else sends.

Content is king, quality is secondary!

That said, if one is able to achieve good content, is lucky enough to nail exposure, has a good go at getting film developing correct, then one is more than likely able to get a reasonably good print that one can be proud of.

When I was seriously teaching myself the craft part of photography I was often amazed at the quality of work produced, day in day out, by commercial photographers. Seeing what they produced and under the conditions they produced their work, I decided to up my own personal ante continuously, until I hopefully achieved a level I could be satisfied with.

These days I am more or less happy with the technical level of work that I output, the artistic part though, is another matter. :D

I have been in the postcard exchange for a fair few exchanges, in that time I have seen some very interesting prints, occasionally the technical aspect is dominant, sometimes the content is dominant, sometimes the technical and content features of the print are equal and of a standard that you find your eyes are riveted to the print for some time, this is terrific and makes me wish to do something equally as well or better.

Other times I have seen prints that are sort of a bit low technically, sometimes they are a bit low from a content point of view, sometimes a print comes through that is technically and content low. These kinds of prints are often from people who are near the start of the learning curve, or maybe they are using extremely limited equipment, whatever.

I have consistently noticed that if these people stay in the exchange for at least three consecutive rounds, their prints do seem to somehow get elevated in aspects of content and technical quality. This is a most gratifying thing to see, and I believe one of the best aspects of the postcard exchange!

Mick.

Laurent
02-23-2010, 07:08 AM
Do not under any circumstances think any postcard print you send, is better or worse than what anyone else sends.

I couldn't agree more ! I was a bit intimidated when entering round 18, but if it was only for the practice it gave me (editing, printing consistently...), it pays back very quickly !

Today, I received Darwin's Old Woman road. Wow ! I love the mood, I love the tones... great shot (and keeps me wondering what this device (I don't know the english name) near the post is doing there...

Mike Wilde
02-23-2010, 07:25 AM
...I received Darwin's Old Woman road. Wow ! ... (and keeps me wondering what this device (I don't know the english name) near the post is doing there....

I too really like the image. It is, I believe a faux road name sign. In the US the 'AARP' is the American Association of Retired Persons, a lobby group.

The english word for the walking assistance device sitting around the post is just a 'walker'.