PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 19 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

paul_c5x4
02-23-2010, 09:17 AM
The english word for the walking assistance device sitting around the post is just a 'walker'.

Where as the English name is a Zimmer Frame :p - drpsilver's card arrived in today's post along with lorirfrommontana's Willys Wagon. I think you have your work cut out restoring that old car, polishing the chrome was just the first step.

ozphoto
02-23-2010, 10:00 AM
2 cards arrived today:

Lori's 1955 Willy's Wagon and Darwin's Signpost

Still working on my images - will have them posted asap.

gurkenprinz
02-23-2010, 12:13 PM
I received drpsilver's card today - a very nice print and a funny picture! I like it very much!

lorirfrommontana
02-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Wow! Yesterday was postcard day! I received: Aaron's Abandoned factory. Great print of interesting architecture. Tim's Lobstering Gear. A very interesting print. Slumry's Trillium. Beautiful! and David's bike in snow. Very well printed. Thanks so much everyone! I've almost filled my first album of postcards so will have to purchase another!
Paul: Yes, I have a lot of work to do on my old car! I purchased it several years ago and drove it home (250 miles or so). Fortunately my father is an auto body repairman and told me he'd do the body work. We replaced all the seals in the engine and painted it. Think I'm going to go ahead and do a frame off restoration though so I have to wait till Ed gets his Jeepster all finished up cause it'll be taking up the garage for a few years! I really enjoy working on it, now if the funds will just appear!

Laurent
02-23-2010, 12:27 PM

I too really like the image. It is, I believe a faux road name sign. In the US the 'AARP' is the American Association of Retired Persons, a lobby group.

The english word for the walking assistance device sitting around the post is just a 'walker'.

Thanks Mike ! It's amazing how much one can learn on APUG !!

Laurent
02-24-2010, 03:17 AM
I posted all my cards yesterday afternoon.

BirgerA
02-24-2010, 10:04 AM
I received Lori's car detail today. Nice

Best regards
Birger A.

KWhitmore
02-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Two cards came last week...Mick's wheat silos and Darwin's OldWoman RD.

Mick- your image makes me long for a hot, dry summer anywhere right now! beautiful tones and perfect framing...as always. :-)
oh, by the way, there's a blizzard/snowstorm in Mtl today...thanks for asking. ;-)

Darwin- maybe I shouldn't but I had a good laugh at this one. a great find and the walker/zimmer frame? is the icing on the cake. looks like a very interesting place to explore. well done!

Kathy

Roger Thoms
02-24-2010, 01:30 PM
I printed my cards yesterday, this time on regular 5x7 RC paper. Now my dilemma, send the cards as is, put full size labels on the back to stiffen up the cards, put them in envelopes. Don't know, looking for suggestions. The paper seem extra flimsy so I'm concerned about how they will hold up if I send them as is.

Roger

Laurent
02-24-2010, 01:36 PM
I printed my cards yesterday, this time on regular 5x7 RC paper. Now my dilemma, send the cards as is, put full size labels on the back to stiffen up the cards, put them in envelopes. Don't know, looking for suggestions. The paper seem extra flimsy so I'm concerned about how they will hold up if I send them as is.

Roger

The cards I received that were on 5x7 paper were more marred that the "regular" postcards. I'd vote for a label as a stiffener, to keep the "postcard spirit".

david James lee
02-24-2010, 02:32 PM
rtbadman, i got some nice envelopes and folding cards from staples. they come in bags of 10 each.

Roger Thoms
02-24-2010, 02:50 PM
David, thanks for the tip, I'm still debating. I did receive your card and really like the image, besides being a photographer I'm a big bicycle fan, love cold weather, and snow. The envelope and card was nice and the image was in perfect condition.

Roger

mooseontheloose
02-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Roger, I faced that dilemma too (the fujibro paper I used seemed thin) and I used labels for the back to stiffen it up. As far as I can tell, that worked (no one's mentioned any mangled cards yet). I just received Lori's card in the mail that is 5x7 paper and it's in great shape.

As for the postcards received today...

Lori's unrestored Willys Wagon -- the gleaming chrome and broken window really draw the eye to/from the black corner of the window. Good luck with the restoration!

Darwin's Old Woman Road -- beautifully printed, makes me wonder what Old Man Road looks like...

Slumry's Trillium -- absolutely stunning, love the light and dark tones.

Mick Fagan's wheat silos -- there's nothing I don't like about this print, great DOF, great range of tones, love the clouds... reminds me of home, although our silos are a little different looking.

TimVermont
02-24-2010, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE=mooseontheloose;951655]Snip:

"Darwin's Old Woman Road -- beautifully printed, makes me wonder what Old Man Road looks like..."

Much worse for the wear, women age better! :p There is a wonderful line in Cory Doctorow's recent book Makers about "the paramilitary wing of AARP" that this card brought back to mind for me.

Tim Gray
02-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Got slumry's flowers (very nice) and David's bike today. Lot of snow, just perched on the bike. Both great photos!

johnnywalker
02-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Mailed my cards today from Ho Chi Minh City. The postage seems awfully cheap compared to Canada, but the Post Office insists it's the right amount. Hopefully they will all arrive in one piece.

drpsilver
02-24-2010, 10:09 PM
24 Feb 2010

Thanks to all for you kind comments on the card I sent. This street sign, set-up by the owner to the property at their driveway, made me laugh also.

Regards,
Darwin

gurkenprinz
02-25-2010, 01:21 AM
Good morning from Vienna,

yesterday evening, 2 cards were waiting for me:

- Tim Trapps (TimVermont) beautifully toned fire alarm. The toning fits the subject perfectly. My girlfriend was amazed that this was possible with a supposedly black-and-white-print and I think it is her favourite card so far.. Also, the card was written in German! Dankeschön, lieber Tim!
- Lori's (lorifrommontana) interesting broken car window. I enjoyed looking at it and it is great how you can tell from one detail what the whole car must look like! Thank you and good luck with the restoration!

Laurent
02-25-2010, 06:35 AM
I received Tim Trapp's Windmill and Water tanks today. It's almost abstract, the toning makes it sing !

Mike Wilde
02-25-2010, 04:25 PM
I have been receiving a steady drip of R19 cards in the mail, along with a few R18 stragglers.

I am putting off my printing for a bit until all the dust settles.

I am renovating the main floor 'front living room' to merge it with a rear 'family room' in our home to yield a room 11'x28' that I hope to be able to seasonally convert to a gallery on occasion for craft cooperative studio tours if I ever quit the day job and take up this mad craft I follow more seriously.

I pulled the drywall on the ceiling down last weekend to allow recessed lighting to be installed. There are too many fixtures to allow the wiring installation to all be just be fished in.

When the roof came down, with it came 45 years plus of dust, along with the original drywall mud sandings construction debris that fell though the slotted sub floor from the second floor when the house was originally built. I have vaccuumed extensively, but the electrostatic air cleaner on the furnace is still snapping away, so I know there are still moe dusties to conquer.

Further to Johnny Walkers comments about lesser postage rates by other than by Canada Post, I am considering a different option. I think I may print two or three prints for each participant on my list , write up the back as though to mail them, but then stick them in a common envelope. I think for the $1.60 I spend to send an interational posting I can get three prints in and be under the weight limit.

Would others be offended to get envelopes with multiple postcards? Apart from loving getting the postcards, I use the exchange to motiovate myself to get down to the darkroom.

If I can discipline myself to print a postcard round of images once a month, and thus build up a cache of prints for say every second postcard exchange then my output would be the same, but I would just get fewer images in return.

There are times when the received post cards I get get glanced at, and they may wait for two weekends or more before I can make time to properly reveiw them. I find that this route leaves me feeling that I have not givent the appreciation that the image makers usually deserve.