PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 19 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

BirgerA
02-26-2010, 06:31 AM
Would others be offended to get envelopes with multiple postcards?

It might be difficult, but I think I can live with that ;)

Regards

Birger A.

Mick Fagan
02-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Mike, I understand your feelings thinking that the sender is getting a raw deal. In reality as a sender, once a print has left the coop so to speak, it's out of your hands.

I don't worry too much once my prints have gone, someday you may be surprised and see or hear about one of your postcards that you have sent, you never know!

I helped one of my nieces when she was about eight years old, to make a postcard for her to send to her grandparents. When the last of those grandparents died, that postcard was found in the top drawer alongside the last grandparents bed. My niece has that postcard back in her possession about 13 years after it was sent.

Regarding sending postcards in an envelope, well that is a reasonable thing, but I prefer to receive a postcard with war wounds from the mailing system, they have their own character after that experience!

Mick.

Patrick Latour
02-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Like Mick, I think that in an envelop, some "postcard spirit" is lost, but it is just my 2 cents.

BWKate
02-26-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm with Mick on this one. The first time I was in one of the postcard exchanges(I think it was #5) I sent all my postcards in an envelope but it's fun to see in what kind of shape you receive your postcards. I've had postcards from all over the world and 90% of them come with nary a scratch but occasionally you get a little more damage. Plus you get the satisfaction of knowing that different people from all over the world (not just your recipients) get to se your image and read your words...

drpsilver
02-26-2010, 10:38 PM
26 Feb 2010

I am with Mick, Patrick, and Kate on this issue. I like seeing how each country's postal system handles post cards. The "war wounds" have messed-up a number of images, but it gives them character and uniqueness.:)

Regards,
Darwin

bwakel
02-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Quick catch up:

Lovely print of a birch trunk using shallow depth of field from Roger.
Stunning tonality on lorifrommontana's print of her Willys Wagon.
Great eye Darwin - really nice capture.

I've just finished printing my cards and they'll be in the post on Monday. I've gone for something a bit more experimental this time. I was attempting to create more individual images without giving up the speed benefits of serial production. Each print is different due to different combinations of bleach point, agitation and time in a second development in lith. Some are more alternative than others so everyone's going to have a different experience when they receive their card.

Barry

Shaggysk8
02-27-2010, 12:22 PM
I just wondered as I sent all my cards out at the beginning of feb, if there is anyone who has not got it yet, this is my first time doing it and I am not sure how this is all normally done.

Paul

Roger Thoms
02-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Paul, I received your card, thank you. Nice shot, it's subject matter that I'm partial to and I like the raking light across the frame. Good job. As a far as how it's done. Varies as you will find out. I usually ask at some point well after I have sent out my cards if anyone has not received a card, and if anyone responds, then I sent another. I Know that cards don't always make it.

Roger

gurkenprinz
02-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Had another card waiting for me on Friday evening: Laurent's beautiful seaside shot! It has a strangely dramatic feeling to and is very well composed! Merci, Laurent!

BirgerA
02-27-2010, 03:41 PM
I received Laurents landscape today. Definetly one I would like to see printed larger.

Regards

Birger A.

gurkenprinz
02-27-2010, 03:57 PM
I received Laurents landscape today. Definetly one I would like to see printed larger.

exactly what my first thought was!

ozphoto
02-28-2010, 12:00 AM
Birger, I totally agree!
Laurent's card arrived on Saturday and it is a superb landscape image - love it!

hoffy
02-28-2010, 01:38 AM
Howdy all,

this is an apology post. I had planned on printing up all mine today, but I had a minor incident in my darkroom. In the process of setting everything up, I managed to spill all my remaining Multigrade developer on the floor. This necessitated me having to pull the door blanking off (MDF taped up against a double glass sliding door), to clean and dry.....by the time it was all done (about 5 minutes ago), I'd run out of time to get a decent enough print session in (plus, I didn't have any developer left...maybe just enough, but I have disposed of it as it wasn't worth keeping). This was my last chance for the next two or three weeks.

SO, I am still going to send out cards (there has to be a plan B now), but I am not sure when and how. All I know is there is going to be a delay.

Cheers

Laurent
02-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks Birger, Nanette and Christian for your comments ! I recently discovered the virtues of small prints, so my first real print of these was on a 5x7, but I wanted to keep on printing on postcard paper.

relix
03-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Put all my postcards in the mail today.

Last week I received Lori's Wagon. I love the sight of those bubbles in the glass, it almost makes it look like something marine-like. I've also received Laurent's landscape, the detail is amazing! Thank you, both!

polyglot
03-02-2010, 05:58 AM
I've been a bit quiet sorry, but I have been receiving your cards! Mick Fagan's in particular was awesome. I'm done printing now but due to an unexpectedly large bill, can't afford all of the ~$90 postage just yet. Therefore today I sent cards to everyone I've received a card from (about seven), plus all the Australians (another 5). The rest of you - I'll get 'em out before March is out I promise. They're sitting on my kitchen table right now.

donminbox if you're reading this - send me a real photo you took and I will send you one too. Otherwise, no.

PS: I hope all y'all like FB postcards. It'll be interesting to see how the finish survives the post compared to RC.

Tim Gray
03-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Got Laurent's wonderful shot. Very nice. Delta 3200 really isn't that grainy on a 1.5x enlargement :D

KWhitmore
03-02-2010, 10:22 AM
A few more cards came in...

Laurent's landscape with all it's yummy detail...(I love small prints like this personally) I especially like how the trees and foreground surround the bright field in the distance.

Lori's door handle- very nice close-up, great tones and interesting subject. well done!

Tim's bridge- I really like the angles and the graphic in this one. nicely composed.

Roger's birch tree- I love the DOF in this shot and the tree placement. interesting and totally works for me.

Thanks all!

drpsilver
03-02-2010, 03:26 PM
02 Mar 2010

Received Laurent's card. Detail, small print, and very nicely done. The black border really accents the photo. The scene you choose reminds me of the winter 1996 when I was snow-shoeing near Chambery in the Savoie region of France. Thanks for reminding of this wonderful trip to your country.:)

Regards,
Darwin

bwakel
03-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Also received Laurent's card today. Wonderful cloudscape above the coastline. Very well printed and, as Darwin says, the border works very well.

I'll be in France (Provence) for Easter and am greatly looking forward to it.

Barry