PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 19 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

kraker
03-02-2010, 02:54 PM
I have received quite a few very nice cards since my last (and possibly also first) update. I will comment on them soon.

For now, I just wanted to let you know that I am very likely to be a straggler this round. Looking at my agenda, I see there's no time left in any of the weekends in March. So, unless I find some time during the week, I guess I will not print & send my cards before the end of March.

That's the bad news. The good news is that I will spend a week in NYC this month, so I should certainly have something interesting to print when I'm back.

Anyway, rest assured that my postcards will be sent, but be advised that they will most likely be sent later than usual.
Just wanted to let you know.

Christopher Walrath
03-02-2010, 06:24 PM
I received Laurent's postcard in the mail today. Friend, I love your print. It is beautiful. No catch phrases. I absolutely love it. Thank you so much for sending it to me.

To the rest of you on my list, I have printed my Group and Blind Print Exchange prints. Postcards come next. And soon. And how. Thanks for all of the great cards thus far.

Allen Friday
03-02-2010, 09:18 PM
I printed my cards tonight and will send them out on Thursday. I ran out of 4x6 post card paper after 43 cards, so a few people will receive 5x7 cards.

Allen

Roger Thoms
03-03-2010, 12:08 AM
I received Laurent's card as well, nicely printed with great clouds.

Roger

Patrick Latour
03-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Received the card of Laurent this morning. Nice landscape, printed like I would wish to do myself, but I do not have all that level of experience. A lot of details. I like the hand written note. Thanks a lot.

Mike Wilde
03-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Mike Wilde’s comments on prints received by 3 March

Gurkenprinz – the glossy surface of the print suits the subject of the space with smooth and glossy surfaces well. There are nice convergences of lines in the image. The nuns location looks great. It would have helped a bit more if there was more detail in their coats. I don’t know if it was in the negative or not, so if a bit of local dodging might have benefitted this effect.

Mooseontheloose – The IR gal again. I love the clouds impacts and the large white rebate on the print surrounding the image. The shape of the house reminds me of the set used for the establishing shot of an old TV show ‘the Ghost and Mrs. Muir’. It showed up on Australian TV around 2002-2003 during summer holidays (when no one really watches TV) while we were living there. . American mid 60’s series I believe

DRPSilver – I love the irony that this little installation puts out for the passing public to see. There is a great range of tones and shadows in the print to strengthen its impact as well.

TimVermont – I got a high key image of a close up of a set of white stairs on a white clapboard house. Very well done. It says toned, but in high key I really don’t pick up if the selenium toning has had any affect on the image.

Mick Fagan – Great skies – wonderful clouds capture though a lovely and skilled use of filtration. The crispness of the lines on the grain silos and whow they gracefully are placed in the image works well for me also.

LorifromMontana – the lurking black interior though the broken section of the window framed by the door post and door sill draws me in. The door handle pulls my eye for a moment, but does not linger; it more just establishes the place for me. Nice creative use of DOF.

Laurent – a delicate landscape, printed with a healthy matt effect with the rebate left on the card all white. Well done. I find it much more affecting than filling the whole card with image. I am going to have to experiment with the less is more style of printing that you exhibit so well here with this image.

Mike Wilde
03-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Well I am part way though. The envelopes are addressed, postage affixed and return labels attached. The legend sheet I am sticking in describing the three images that fit the weight limit of the envelope is written, printed, trimmed to fit the envelope.

Two of the three images that I am sticking into the envelope are done.

The envelope approach will likely a this round only thing. A company dividend cheque arrived in the mail today and I don't feel so financially stretched any more. I paid off the creidt card in full after buying living room reno supplies on it last month

I was busy last night. I would have finished, but I ran out of drying room. My wife was out off to rehearsal right after dinner, so I puit away the leftovers,and ran the dishwasher. I also ran a load of laundry, got it though the dryer and upstairs for sorting, put the guys in jammies, read bedtime stories and fit in the printing somehow

I have done one as 5x7 sw fb, one 5x7 RC cooltone, and have a third one planned. It is going to be a warmtone FB image. It is selected, the easel set and the exposure time and developer figured out, so it is more a mechanical thing now. Hopefully I can get the package mailed before the weekend, but I have a set of 30 or so people to do front of house portraits for a theatre production to take between two sessions, one tonight and one Sunday.

Laurent
03-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Received the card of Laurent this morning. Nice landscape, printed like I would wish to do myself, but I do not have all that level of experience. A lot of details. I like the hand written note. Thanks a lot.

Thanks all for your comments.

Patrick : I'm no printing expert, my darkroom has been used for less than one year now. The negative is very easy to print, which is IMO a good reason to try to make good exposures.

The border itself is the result of a happy accident : I once knocked a negative in the holder and loved the result (but threw the print anyway because the border was only on two sides :rolleyes: ).

Roger Thoms
03-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Well I'm getting there, just printed the full sized labels for the 5x7 paper. The labels will stiffen up the paper quite nicely. This is turning out to be a lot of work to use up some old RC paper. I used paper from several different boxes, some of which I have to cut down to 5x7. Then each change in paper required new test strips for slight adjustments in exposure and contrast. I don't think I'm saving any money either, but the time I pay the extra postage and buy the full size labels. Not to mention the cost of ink for my Epson, wouldn't want the labels to smear or anything like that. Oh well, still happy to have used the paper rather than wasting it. Now I have to trim and apply the labels which is no small chore. I hope to post this evening.

Roger

Roger Thoms
03-04-2010, 12:44 AM
OK my cards are on there way, just returned from the post office. What a great feeling.

Roger

rmann
03-04-2010, 04:16 AM
Cards were mailed this week -

ozphoto
03-04-2010, 05:51 AM
Hi to all. I'm still working on the project I set myself for this exchange, so cards may be delayed longer than I anticipated.
Fear not! They will be sent out just a little later than I would have liked. :(

lorirfrommontana
03-04-2010, 10:48 AM
I just received rmann's great print from the Hancock Shaker Village. Beautifly printed and well set up. Thank you!

Allen Friday
03-04-2010, 11:33 AM
My cards went into the mail today.

Shaggysk8
03-04-2010, 03:34 PM
I received TimVermont's print today and I love it thank you.

Patrick Latour
03-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Just received TimVermont's card this morning. I really love the look, I was not sure if I could call it a silhouette, finally my wife found the right name, she called it "a silhouette with details". The sky is also amazing, the toning fit it very well. I specially appreciated the note at the back ;)

drpsilver
03-05-2010, 03:43 PM
05 Mar 2010

Three cards arrived yesterday ...

The card from rtbadman appeals to the chemical engineer in me. Nice composition of converging lines and parallel lines. Well printed and sharp (which is way I also like 4x5).
The card from rmann is simple but elegant. Well done. Nice balance of exposure inside vs. outside. I like seeing tone in the widow highlights.
Lastly, the card from bwakel is outstanding. I love how the yellow/brown tone accents the bright sun. Even thought the post office succeeded in keeping some of the emulsion, the image draws me into the snowy forest.:)

Thanks to all for a great selection of images.

Regards,
Darwin

BirgerA
03-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Since my last update I have received cards from the following:

David James Lee (djl): Snowed down bicycle in NYC.
David Verhasselt: Cat watching bird.
Darwin (drpsilver): Old Woman Road.
Barry (Bwakel): Winter landscape
Tim Trapp (TimVermont): Windmill + Water Tanks

Thanks to all of you

Best regards

Birger A.

Black Dog
03-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Mick's silos are my favourite so far-thanks to everyone else as well:D

mthorley
03-05-2010, 05:40 PM
To those that have sent such wonderful cards from so far, my thanks. Mine went into to post today, I hope you enjoy it. Info is on the card, a little piece of Australiana, but it could be anywhere I guess. Near the famous wine district of Clare Valley South Australia, it is an old crop seeder. The images I have received from around the world are truly magnificent and I enjoy every trip to the post box to see what portal of escape has arrived today. Thanks again. Regards, Mark