PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 19 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

mooseontheloose
03-06-2010, 05:19 PM
A few more cards to comment on...

Laurent's beautiful landscape, really nicely framed. Like the others, I would like to see this as a larger print as well.

Tim Vermont's white stairs -- I like all the leading lines in this photo, and the fact that it works as well upside-down as rightside-up.

Aron's abandoned factory -- great subject, although I would like to have seen a bit more contrast in the print. I think one could get many different interpretations of mood with this building.

And of course, dominbox's standard postcard. Looking forward to the real one.

TimVermont
03-06-2010, 07:13 PM
This week's treasures:
ShaggySk8's So What, with wonderful repetition of shape and shadow.
RMann's luminous interior from Hancock Shaker Village.
Laurent's quiet, well-framed well-printed landscape.
Slumry's rich Trillium print.
David's snowy, seat-less bicycle.

All of mine are now mailed, and I'm pleased to read that many have arrived and are being appreciated. All that remains is to put together packets of all of the the cards I used and send them off to Simon and Sean.

Laurent
03-07-2010, 11:09 AM
I've been on a business trip this week, and found 4 cards waiting for me when I came back :

- Robert (rmann)'s workroom interior : very quiet mood, I like the delicate tones and the lighting !
- David (relix)'s cat : I'd really like to see what the cat is looking at !
- Barry (bwakel)'s snowy landscape : an amazing print, the toning from the lith developing is absolutely great.
- David (David James Lee)'s snowy bicycle : a great scene that was well shot and printed .

Thanks to all of you !

Laurent
03-07-2010, 02:27 PM
I've been on a business trip this week, and found 4 cards waiting for me when I came back

Sorry, I forgot one so it's a total of 5 cards !!

Slumry's orchid made it to my home last week. The detail is amazing, I can see every part of the orchids.

BirgerA
03-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Johnnywalkers portrait surfaced from one of my paper piles today. He looks like quite a character.

best regards

Birger A.

Christopher Walrath
03-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Never disappointed. Roger Thoms' card arrived in the post today. And so did the Census. As to Roger's card, same feeling as Mailbox 173. The subject stands alone. I love the expectant space. Leaves you wanting something. Thanks a bunch, Roger. And now to fill out my census.

johnnywalker
03-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Johnnywalkers portrait surfaced from one of my paper piles today. He looks like quite a character.

best regards

Birger A.

Glad to hear at least one arrived! I mailed one to myself as well, and it hasn't arrived yet.

Mick Fagan
03-09-2010, 05:05 AM
I’ve received some cards now and finally got some clear time to give some thoughts about them.

Firstly a happy new year card from Don Morrison, interesting and I checked out his site, the three stamps on the rear have greater interest to me.

Old Burr Homestead from moose on the Loose. Printed on a Fuji paper I have never seen before, great use of Kodak Infrared film, looks cold, desolate and abandoned.

Trees, Gills Gap in Sussex, from Jostie, using a 52 year old Agfa Isolette folder and printed on Fuji Colour paper, interesting combination. Quite good detail in the in focus tree.

Lori from Montana sent me a close-up of a door handle and broken window from her 1955 Willys Wagon. Lori who only started wet photography in the last year or so, has in the space of a couple of postcard exchanges, improved from a technical point of view, dramatically! The technical aspects of this card really have leaped from the first card I received from her. I did wonder though whether this picture would look better with the lighter windscreen and other door window cropped from the top. Having not really seen or knowing about this kind of vehicle I googled it and would you believe Lori and her car were the first entry from my specific search request, small world.

Aron sent a quite interesting picture of an abandoned factory in Budapest printed on another paper I have not seen before, Forte Bromofort. A quite arresting enlargement could be made from this negative as the detail that appears to be in the small postcard print, looks as though it would enlarge further very well.

Mthorley sent a picture of an old abandoned crop seeder resting in a paddock under a tree in the Clare Valley the landscape format seems to suit the subject quite well.

Timk, sent a sepia toned indoor shot of a building in Cambodia, ones eyes go straight to the end doorway where what looks like someone walking past appears, nice tones.

Gurkenprinz, sent a picture of two delightfully happy nuns walking along the Bahnhof Gleis, which were very important German words to learn when I first travelled by train in German speaking countries. Printed on 1980 Agfa Brovira Speed, I wonder how much speed it has lost?

Johhny Walker sent his postcards from Viet Nam, different, is the postage cheaper? It is a portrait of a Guyanan logger, I wonder what his age was as people with that kind of hard occupation in that part of the world, often look quite different to what we expect. Very good print.

David James Lee, sent his postcard between cardboard and inside an envelope, not a mark on it. An interesting study in cool climate conditions with the picture of the seat-less ice and snow covered bicycle in NYC. Reminds me that we are now on the slippery slope to winter!

Tim Vermont sent an interesting print of an everyday subject, a fire alarm box. Toned in Selenium then followed by Iodine to give a colour one would not normally associate with B&W photography.

Bwakel sent an intriguing print of a wintery scene with partial bleaching and then re-development in a Moersch developer. The colour is very nice and suits the subject perfectly.

Slumry sent a picture of a three petalled flower with a latin name that suggests the common name I know it by. I know it as a Tri Flower, due to the three petals they have, maybe we should re-name this plant as “Tripod”, the photographers flower?

Laurent sent a very, very good postcard of a winter scene, the fine detail that appears to be there tells me an enlargement would, or could, be something quite nice. You have the conditions to possibly make a very good enlargement.

Polyglot lugged an RZ67 to Asia to send me a print of Beng Melea on Kentmere Fineprint paper, which has a surface that I find so appealing, I may purchase some soon. Even though the picture is busy, it looks alright somehow.

Mick.

gurkenprinz
03-09-2010, 06:02 AM
Gurkenprinz, sent a picture of two delightfully happy nuns walking along the Bahnhof Gleis, which were very important German words to learn when I first travelled by train in German speaking countries. Printed on 1980 Agfa Brovira Speed, I wonder how much speed it has lost?

Not enough :D I had to dodge the left nun's face and with a total exposure time of only 4.5 seconds I messed up quite a few cards..

Thank you for your nice comment, Mick! Should I write my next card to you in German so you can practise? ;)

Regards,
Chris

Mick Fagan
03-09-2010, 06:22 AM
Chris, sounds like you should if possible, add some neutral density into the filtration or maybe stop down dramatically to allow you a bit more time to fiddle.

English is quite alright as my German is not too flash, but thanks for the offer! :D

Mick.

gurkenprinz
03-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Thanks for tip about the filters. I do not have an ND filter, but one of the harder multigrade filters should work, shouldn't it? Aperture was f/16 already. That shows how fast the paper still is..

Regards, Chris

Aron
03-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Rachelle: thank you for your comment. The negative itself had quite a high brightness range (and was probably a bit overexposed) and I'm not that a competent printer (yet ;)) to produce a punchy print from this negative without loosing highlight/shadow detail.

Mick: I also enlarged this negative to 11x14 and grain is still not visible to my naked eyes, only a slight amount of softening. I'm impressed by Delta 100 (despite how much I like Fomapan 100); I can only imagine how great it would look in larger formats...:rolleyes:

Still, my biggest problem was running away from the dogs who were at the site.

gurkenprinz
03-10-2010, 03:25 AM
I received polyglot's card yesterday - I like it! The light is interesting and gives the photo structure - and the exploring kids fill the picture with life! Thank you, William!

Something I have to tell all of you: It's great being part of this exchange, the postcards I have received so far have always been high points in my day! Next time I'm going for MAX! :D

regards, Chris

bwakel
03-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Atmospheric and nicely composed 'Iowan' scene from Allen Friday received today. Has that lovely Mamiya 7 crispness.

mckenna
03-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Got my 40 gone!!!!!!

BirgerA
03-10-2010, 04:21 PM
I received Tim K's beautiful print from Angkor Wat today.
Really nice.

Regards
Birger A.

mooseontheloose
03-10-2010, 11:22 PM

As did I -- really like the light and contrast in this print, and the tension between the two trees.

I also received Barry's beautiful misty scene. Didn't realize Ilford's postcard paper could be redeveloped in lith! I like the split tone effect it's created.

gurkenprinz
03-11-2010, 02:33 AM
Received Allen Friday's "Iowa Scene" too! I really enjoy looking at it - the speed of the merry-go-round and the monumental tower details behind. Still couldn't figure out where in Iowa that might be, though... ;)

Thank you, Allen!

gurkenprinz
03-12-2010, 03:18 AM
Hi, me again. Received 2 cards yesterday, a very calm and romantic country scene by Mark Thorley and Roger Thoms' detailed port scene. It has a nice structure to it with a few "imaginary triangles". Did you print with low contrast so that the details were still there? Also, I wonder: how did you print on the back - did you mount a sheet of paper to it?

mooseontheloose
03-12-2010, 12:22 PM
As did I -- really like the light and contrast in this print, and the tension between the two trees.

Oops! Confusion on two prints here...my bad. I did receive Tim K's print, as well as polygot's postcard of what I assume is a temple in the Angkor Wat complex (or something similar). Nice contrast in William's print, and a beautiful tone in Tim's with the sepia.

I also received rmann's Shaker Village workroom, a familiar scene to me having worked in museums like this myself. Good job printing, especially keeping detail in the windows, without having them blow out (something that plagues me all the time).