PDA

View Full Version : My 1st paper emulsion & some success

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Ray Rogers
02-22-2010, 11:54 AM
...egg crate diffusion material made for in ceiling fluorescent lighting...

What on earth is that? (Do you have a pix?)

tim_bessell
02-22-2010, 01:55 PM
What on earth is that? (Do you have a pix?)

Yes, here is a link to a decent image of what it looks like.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3044089&cp=2624969.3050359

Click on the 'view enhanced image' to get a better idea.
I bought a single 2' x 4' sheet @ Lowes for ~ $11.00.

I use paper towels so I don't have to worry about getting the paper I am humidifying wet and the screen further diffuses the moisture. You may get an 'egg crate' pattern if you don't do this.

T

Kirk Keyes
02-22-2010, 03:03 PM
I coated several test sheets of Fabriano, but first humidified them above water for about, well I took a nap, so a long time :rolleyes:. Anyhow I guess they where like 100% humidified.

Why humidify them? It's not platinum paper we are making...

At PE's class a couple of years ago we did not humidify the paper and we had no problems with the emulsion coming off paper. (Off the glass and film -yes, but not off the paper.)

I forget which paper I liked best, but I think it was a cold pressed paper with a pretty smooth surface. I'm sure PE remember what we used.

Photo Engineer
02-22-2010, 03:26 PM
We used mostly Strathmore smooth hot press at 100# weight. We also used Velour and Watercolor. The Baryta was one of the other papers we coated on. None had to be humidified.

PE

Ray Rogers
02-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Why humidify them? It's not platinum paper we are making...

At PE's class a couple of years ago we did not humidify the paper and we had no problems with the emulsion coming off paper. (Off the glass and film -yes, but not off the paper.)

I have not used Fabriano so please ignore my comments.

The Fabriano uses a different chemical treatment than most Arches paper.
This might be involved, but yes it should not normally be necessary.

... perhaps he uses it for other alt prints anyway?

Ray Rogers
02-22-2010, 11:25 PM
We also used Velour...

I would like to touch a sample of the Velour.
Was it Hanemure or Hahnemuhle...

Does anyone have a sample any size from a 1 cm square upwards they could spare?

Plain or processed doesn't matter.

It is not avail here and I would just like to see it up close.

Ray

Ray Rogers
02-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Yes, here is a link to a decent image of what it looks like.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3044089&cp=2624969.3050359

Thanks.

That is not what I call 'egg crate'... :D

I can find small versions here for draining glasses etc on.

Thanks again for the link.

tim_bessell
02-23-2010, 12:34 AM
I don't normally humidify my paper, I have for some alt processes, but if you have a piece of paper with a crease or buckle I think humidifying before coating might save the day. Also, coating one side of paper causes it to expand, and then contract on that side more than the uncoated side. Humidifying pretty much solves that problem.

As I said, I don't as a normal routine, but the paper stayed flatter as it dried, and was flatter after fully dried.

I hope Denise Ross sees this; she humidifies her paper sometimes. In fact I was thinking her when I wrote it.

Some say Fabriano uses Aquapel as a size.

T

Photo Engineer
02-23-2010, 09:38 AM
I would like to touch a sample of the Velour.
Was it Hanemure or Hahnemuhle...

Ray

As I said above, it was Strathmore!

PE

Ray Rogers
02-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Here is what you had said:

We used mostly Strathmore smooth hot press at 100# weight.
We also used Velour and Watercolor.
The Baryta was one of the other papers we coated on.
PE

Humm...
The only paper you specified as being "Strathmore" was the "smooth hot press"...

Perhaps if you had said:
"We also used Strathmore Velour and Strathmore Watercolor"
I would not have gone down the wrong path!

Anyway, I will see if I can locate any Strathmore Velour.

Photo Engineer
02-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Sorry if I was unclear. All hot press papers were Strathmore. We also used a Canvas which was ok, and Cranes 90# cold press which fell apart during the process. It is a nice paper but does not survive the traditional photo process. Credit Denise for finding that Cranes 90# paper is not good for silver-gelatin. I didn't know.

We also used a 300# cold press paper that was very nice, but I forget the manufacturer.

The only way to find out what is good or not is to try it!

PE

Ray Rogers
02-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Sorry if I was unclear.

Thanks... Well, the only Strathmore Velour I can find is with the name "inkjet" and even that is not on their current web page I was able to find.

I was only able to pull up 3 images with an image search; 1 of the package and 2 deceptive catch alls that list everything- which I guess is an attempt to raise someones hit count... I don't really know... but the internet is getting way too cluttered with waste... :mad:

I just wanted to know what the stuff feels and looks like up close...
the name implies one thing but I am getting the impression
it ain't all dat purdy!

One never knows, though, so I still wish I could actually get some tiny samples of the Strathmore and Hahnemuhle's Velour... to help me judge it's potential value before the confronting the expense of obtaining a real supply.

Photo Engineer
02-23-2010, 11:13 PM
I get mine across the counter at Michaels, a very well known art supply house here. They come in pads of about 11x14x25 sheets.

Of course, living in Japan may make things difficult. All sources are not created equal. First star on the right and on till morning and all that you know!

PE

tim_bessell
02-24-2010, 02:15 AM
I get mine across the counter at Michaels, a very well known art supply house here.
PE

PE,
Have you ever looked at Hyatt's, there is one on Jefferson Rd. near the 390. In Buffalo they are cheaper than Michael's. I have also bought quantities from several online sellers; Cheap Joe's, Dick Blick, etc., cheaper yet. You will pay tax at Blick.

I found your comment about cold press paper intriguing, have you ever tried rough? I have some of both, will have to give it a go some day.

T

Photo Engineer
02-24-2010, 09:24 AM
I've tried a lot of papers Tim. I have stacks of different paper samples here. This includes rough surfaces, glossy surfaces and others. I also have shopped at the RIT art supply center, but Hyatts is quite inconvenient most of the time and Michaels is very close by. I usually combine the trip to Michaels with other shopping. I drove by it yesterday on another errand, but did not need any paper, so convenience counts. Thanks.

PE