PDA

View Full Version : WINTER STORM 5 FEB 2009

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Sirius Glass
02-05-2010, 02:29 PM
You didn't miss a thing. The next decade starts with the end of this year, unless the first year was year '0' and not year '1'.

I am glad that someone here understands that.

The fact, that except for C programmers, people count starting at the number one.

A few weeks ago I pointed out on a post on APUG that we have 11 months until the start of the next decade and so many dunderheads posted vulgar and disgusting responses the monitors had to delete all the posts related to the start of the decade. Some people are just so into their "stupidness" that they cannot turn on their brains.

Dunderheads, do you hear me now??

Steve

RalphLambrecht
02-05-2010, 03:28 PM
I am glad that someone here understands that.

The fact, that except for C programmers, people count starting at the number one.

A few weeks ago I pointed out on a post on APUG that we have 11 months until the start of the next decade and so many dunderheads posted vulgar and disgusting responses the monitors had to delete all the posts related to the start of the decade. Some people are just so into their "stupidness" that they cannot turn on their brains.

Dunderheads, do you hear me now??

Steve

Do you remember how many people walked into the 21st century a year too early? There is little we can do about that.

Vaughn
02-05-2010, 03:37 PM
We hear you Steve! But the whole thing with dating is arbitary anyway, so you'll just have to put up with us LOL! .

And I always start counting at zero. How many beers have I had today? Zero (not one). But I'll soon take care of that!

Vaughn

PS...Ralph, we may have entered into the millenium a year early, but it sounds like you may have been a year late for the party!

RalphLambrecht
02-05-2010, 04:08 PM
...Ralph, we may have entered into the millenium a year early, but it sounds like you may have been a year late for the party!

No, I went to both, because I never miss a party. Where were you when we had the real party?

doughowk
02-05-2010, 04:12 PM
decade
n decade [ˈdekeid, diˈkeid]
a period of ten years the first decade of this century (= 1900–09).

Also see Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decade)
So we are in the 2nd decade of the 21st century, at least culturally.

As to snow, I lived in DC & Charlottesville area for 25 years and had only one heavy snowfall (sometime in late 70's). I'm envious. Its rainy and in 60's here.

Vaughn
02-05-2010, 04:23 PM
No, I went to both, because I never miss a party. Where were you when we had the real party?

I got snowed in :p

RalphLambrecht
02-05-2010, 05:22 PM
decade
a period of ten years the first decade of this century (= 190009).

As to snow, I lived in DC & Charlottesville area for 25 years and had only one heavy snowfall (sometime in late 70's). I'm envious. Its rainy and in 60's here.

Interesting. For me the first time to see Wikepedia wrong, unless the first decade AD was 9 years long. Oh, cultural decades, I got it!

Sirius Glass
02-05-2010, 06:26 PM
decade
a period of ten years the first decade of this century (= 1900–09).

I use Wikipedia as a comic book or entertainment. It is usually accurate for simple things, but I do come across errors enough not to use it for serious research. I do not bother to note the errors. Again for me it is part of the web entertainment. This error is just typical of Wikipedia, people add to it what they want to believe without doing due diligence. sorry to burst your bubble.

Nah, I am not sorry.

Steve

Christopher Walrath
02-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Dateline Milton . . .

Shortly after three this afternoon the snow begins to fall. Very faintly at first, the 'white stuff' continues to intensify as The Boomerang Blizzard encroaches on the east coast of the United States of America. Having already dumped nearly a foot of snow or more in the central Appalachains, this storm seems as though it could rival the infamous President's Day storm of 2003, to the north anyway. Relatively low accumulations are called for on the Demlmarva Peninsula south of Dover, Delaware (8-12"). The forecast is for 12" to 24" otherwise. It looks to be a good old fashioned Canadian butt-whoopin' in the grandest style. And the horse turd tears just keep on comin'.

Sirius Glass
02-05-2010, 07:45 PM
It has been snowing in Columbia Maryland since 9 AM. The amount of accumulation is not worth the effort to clean off a car before driving. These people need to get a real life. There are real problems in the world. This snow storm is not one of them.

Christopher Walrath
02-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Wow, you get downright pithy when you're snowbound. Guess you can take the old fart outta California but you can't take the California outta the old fart. :p

Vaughn
02-05-2010, 07:56 PM
:D:D:D

Sirius Glass
02-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Wow, you get downright pithy when you're snowbound. Guess you can take the old fart outta California but you can't take the California outta the old fart. :p

This "storm" is keeping me from going to Canada to ski in real snow.

Christopher Walrath
02-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Well, stepped out for a smoke and a shovel. A bit over an inch thus far. Still very fine flakes. Heavier stuff still to get here.

Sirius Glass
02-05-2010, 11:55 PM
An inch! An inch! OMG the world is coming to an end! We will all be killed! We will all be killed! We will all be killed!

36cm2
02-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Should only get a couple of inches in Northern NJ, but I just finished my darkroom, so you can bet it's a printing weekend! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Rick A
02-06-2010, 04:58 AM
Geez- woke up to a whole inch and a half this morning -- and it isn't snowing any more. I suppuse we got what was predicted. I was realy hoping for a couple of feet of the white shtuff. Guess I'll pack up the family to where theres lots more of it, and take the skis, and the mutts, and a big picnic, get some skinny-skiing in. Crap, there isn't even enough to get decent sledding any where close by. Chris, can we come visit, and play in the snow down there?(just kidding) I love to X-C, its one of the few things that is low impact on my ailing body, and its fun.

Rick

doughowk
02-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Don't want to beat a dead horse, but from the Yourdictionary.com

Decade
a period of ten years; esp., in the Gregorian calendar
1. officially, a ten-year period beginning with the year 1, as 1921-1930, 1931-1940, etc.
2. in common usage, a ten-year period beginning with a year 0, as 1920-1929, 1930-1939, etc.
As with most aspects of the English language (e.g., spelling, pronunciation), common usage will prevail over "official" prescriptions.

jgjbowen
02-06-2010, 06:54 AM
looks like a darkroom day.....yesterday's 3" of snow received about 1" of rain and has all but disappeared in Richmond. Still some snow from last weekend's storm, but nothing to get very excited about.

RalphLambrecht
02-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Don't want to beat a dead horse, but...

Oh come on, let's beat that dead horse. It's so much fun, and the snow story seems to be over anyway:

Wikepedia is a bit confusing in defining the term 'decade', but is pretty elaborate when it comes to the term 'century':

According to the Gregorian calendar, the 1st century C.E. started on January 1, 1 and ended on December 31, 100. The 2nd century started at year 101, the third at 201, etc. The n-th century started/will start on the year 100n - 99. A century will only include one year, the centennial year, that starts with the century's number (e.g. 1900 is the final year in the 19th century).

It is a commonly held misconception that the 20th century ended on December 31, 1999. The 20th century actually ended on December 31, 2000, its centennial year. In the United States, this fact has been disputed with major media calling December 31, 1999 the end of the 20th century. The century referred to as the 1900s would, however, end on December 31, 1999.

...As with most aspects of the English language (e.g., spelling, pronunciation), common usage will prevail over "official" prescriptions.

So, if one is wrong, he just needs to find enough others to be wrong too, and everything is fine. We will never let facts stay in the way of opinions, will we now?

Too bad my grammar teachers didn't buy that one.