PDA

View Full Version : WINTER STORM 5 FEB 2009

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

doughowk
02-06-2010, 09:06 AM
The debate over "decade" reminds me of one of my undergrad English professors during the 60s who insisted that we pronounce "don juan" as in the Italian = don jew'n. It may be correct, but I don't hear many (any in America) pronounce it that way. One of the better aspects of English language as practiced by Americans is how flexible, may we even say democratic, it is.

keithwms
02-06-2010, 09:14 AM
One of the better aspects of English language as practiced by Americans is how flexible, may we say even democratic, it is.

Ah yes, there is Houston=HOW-st'n in Manhattan and then there is Houston=HYOO-st'n in Texas. Or the way some people say it down there, Hee-YOO-st'n.

I am sure most APUGers are familiar with the three (or four) pronunciations of Louisville. After considerable on-site training I am able to render it luh'avul as most natives would have it. When I first went to KY I said Lewisville and was greeted with guffaws.

Now van Huyck, how do Americans typically render that one? Van hike? Van hook? Van hick?

I have an easier name for American pronunciation, it is typically "whi'ms." It seems the double L is disappearing in many parts of the southern US, hispanified one might say. So wall is becoming waw, y'all is becoming yaw. Well at least we aren't turning th into f like certain parts of England :rolleyes:

Darkroom317
02-06-2010, 09:17 AM
They are now predicting 4-8 inches here in Arkansas on Monday. The snow from last week finally melted with a bit still here. I've been having a lot of fun with FP4+ and the snow. :)

We had a pretty good hour of snow yesterday from the storm that's hitting you guys.

Sirius Glass
02-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Oh come on, let's beat that dead horse. It's so much fun, and the snow story seems to be over anyway:

Wikepedia is a bit confusing in defining the term 'decade', but is pretty elaborate when it comes to the term 'century':

According to the Gregorian calendar, the 1st century C.E. started on January 1, 1 and ended on December 31, 100. The 2nd century started at year 101, the third at 201, etc. The n-th century started/will start on the year 100Śn - 99. A century will only include one year, the centennial year, that starts with the century's number (e.g. 1900 is the final year in the 19th century).

It is a commonly held misconception that the 20th century ended on December 31, 1999. The 20th century actually ended on December 31, 2000, its centennial year. In the United States, this fact has been disputed with major media calling December 31, 1999 the end of the 20th century. The century referred to as the 1900s would, however, end on December 31, 1999.

So, if one is wrong, he just needs to find enough others to be wrong too, and everything is fine. We will never let facts stay in the way of opinions, will we now?

Too bad my grammar teachers didn't buy that one.

Thank you again Ralph.

Logic tells us that

If the thesis is true and the conclusion is true, that the logic is true.
If the thesis is true and the conclusion is false, that the logic is false.
If the thesis is false and the conclusion is true, that the logic is true.
If the thesis is false and the conclusion is false, that the logic is true.

Therefore, if the thesis is false regardless whether the conclusion is true or false the logic is always true.

Hence, if I state that 1 + 1 = 5, then anything I say after that is logically true!

1 + 1 = 5 therefore the decade ended 31 December 2009. <= that is the only way one can have correct logic and state this blatant falsehood.

Thus be the logic of Wikipedia.

By the way, no one has ever, ever, ever heard me state the media reporters are intelligent!

Steve

keithwms
02-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Steve! Go back to balancing your pennies on your hassie ;)

TheFlyingCamera
02-06-2010, 09:46 AM
well, back on topic, we're over 2 feet of snow here in DC. And they're predicting another 8-10 hours of snowfall.

Sirius Glass
02-06-2010, 09:59 AM
well, back on topic, we're over 2 feet of snow here in DC. And they're predicting another 8-10 hours of snowfall.

And I still cannot fly out to go skiing in Canada!

Steve

colrehogan
02-06-2010, 10:16 AM

We barely got a dusting here. It rained here most of yesterday. :(

brian steinberger
02-06-2010, 10:18 AM
We're in at 22" now, still snowing for a few more hours yet.

RalphLambrecht
02-06-2010, 10:35 AM
We're in at 22" now, still snowing for a few more hours yet.

Aren't you guys all on the wrong site? Try this:

http://www.weather.com/maps/dopplerradarusnational.html

Vaughn
02-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Rain here, followed by more rain, with some rain after that. Even so, we are still one inch behind normal for this point in the season (starts in July -- we are at 21.5"). Today might bring us up to normal.

On pronouncing names -- in New Zealand and Australia I had lots of people telling me I mis-pronounced my own name :D. I pronounce Vaughn, "von". But then I have always mis-pronounced my sister's name, too. It is Wende, but I say "Windy", which considering how she can talk and talk and talk -- is rather accurate. :) "Wende" is a German last name -- but no one in our family has ever pronounced the "W" as a "V"!

Christopher Walrath
02-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Well, in shifts, I have shoveled 14" thus far. Most alarming, I shoveled three inches that had accumalated in the space of just over one hour and it is getting heavy. Another eight hours to go. I think it's now time to retreat to the porch and leave the carport to God and the snow angels.

Christopher Walrath
02-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Oh, and by the way, Steve, there's got to be a hill near you somewhere or a slow moving SUV on which to grab the bumper and go for a ride. ;p Sorry you haven't made it out yet.

Sirius Glass
02-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Oh, and by the way, Steve, there's got to be a hill near you somewhere or a slow moving SUV on which to grab the bumper and go for a ride. ;p Sorry you haven't made it out yet.

I dug around the car this afternoon. About an hour ago, it stopped snowing so I brushed of the last of it. The snow plow was stuck at the beginning of the parking lot for a while and left. The driver promised that he would have the lot done tonight.

Steve

Christopher Walrath
02-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I'm dug out to my deep - not-so-recently plowed street. We got just over 20" over here in DE all told.

asp.artist
02-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Goodness. You guys are all done shoveling, and I'm just starting to wonder where I parked my car, and did the city plow any side streets? Its going to be a couple of days before Phila gets moving again.

TheFlyingCamera
02-06-2010, 09:30 PM
I went out after dark this evening and shot 10 sheets of whole plate TMY. Got some (I hope) great shots of street scenes in the snow, with the neon lights from stores and restaurants, vehicle lights, and street lights. I'm going to soup them tomorrow right after I shovel my steps.

Photo Engineer
02-06-2010, 09:33 PM
I would be very happy if the moderators would change the title of this thread!

After all, they are superheroes! Why can't they correct such a simple goof?

PE

keithwms
02-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Well, the accumulation down here was pretty disappointing, our last few hours of precip was in the form of sleet and we wound up with no more than a foot or so total by the time it all packed down. All in all, the storm of a weeks ago was more of an adventure. Oh well.

Christopher Walrath
02-07-2010, 09:17 AM
I would be very happy if the moderators would change the title of this thread!

After all, they are superheroes! Why can't they correct such a simple goof?

PE

Hey look here Mr. That title is indicative of my deepest foibles. Those being utterly and innanely human. ;p Hiya Ron. Actually I really learned alot about new decades and high falutin' crap like that which I would not have learned if I had not started this thread with such a screwed up title.

Hey, it's me! ;p