PDA

View Full Version : New Yearly Subscription Service

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Sean
05-20-2004, 05:46 AM
SUPPORT APUG.ORG WITH A YEARLY SUBSCRIPTION

APUG generates expense through domain name registration, server hosting, software rental, software purchases, time in managing the community, and time in administering the software. Subscribing is the best way to ensure APUG will be with us for the long haul. A yearly subscription is only mandatory for gallery access & to post classified ads. Shortly after you subscribe your site designation as a "Member" will automatically change to "Subscriber", and you will have full access to the Gallery . There are no varying levels of subscription on the site. Members are either listed as a "Member" or "Subscriber". Subscriptions start at $1 US a month. There are two payment methods, online payment and payment by check:

The total expenses for the new site were around $1200US dollars, plus 100's of hours of work on my part. I'm hoping we can get atleast 100 subscriptions to offset this.

Click here (http://www.apug.org/forums/misc.php?do=supportus) to go to your subscription page for all the details. Thanks for your support!

Sean
05-20-2004, 08:12 AM
fyi- Those who have recently donated using the old method will be added to the Subscriber group soon. Thanks!

bmac
05-22-2004, 10:57 PM
Guys & Gals,

Sean has put a tremendous amount of work in to the new site, and I am sure all of these neat modules cost a pretty penny. (notice there is no vendor information under anything, those licenses cost add up quickly) It's time for everyone to pony up. Come on guys, $12 a year!

That's 1/4 a tank of gas (Thanks California :mad: )
6 Sheets of 8x10 film
1 Lunch
2 Bottles of Rodinal
4 Bottles of my Wife's favorite screw top wine!

You get the point ;)

Jim Moore
05-23-2004, 12:07 AM
I agree 100% with Brian.

I am waiting for an eCheck to clear and be deposited into my PayPal account. As soon as the funds are available I will be subscribing.

Jim

Sean
05-23-2004, 12:40 AM
Thanks guys :)

The main difference with cost is we have moved away from open source software. You can still 'edit' the code, but the core software requires a one off payment plus yearly subscription fees (forums, gallery, chat, etc). There was a big hit in purchasing all of the apps (but next year only a maintenance fee is required which is much better). I know people were probably content with the old site and didn't really "ask" for this new site so it's wrong for me to expect people to subscribe. I can only hope members enjoy the overall experience enough to consider it worth subscribing to and I have made the fee as low as possible.
There were two main reasons for moving to paid software:
1. More functionality
2. Ease of administration (which was becoming an increasing burden on me -but with the new software a weight has been lifted).

Thanks again, Sean

Aggie
05-23-2004, 12:50 AM
Another thing about paid software, you have support if they have a glitch in their code. Now who would be good to act as a pitbull if they don't preform well with their software? HMMMMMMM

harveyje
05-23-2004, 06:21 PM
Gee Aggie, I have no idea which Danish Redhead coould possibly be described as a "pitbull"

John

Jorge
05-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Shouldn`t you put a subscribe button on the main page? I could not find a way to subscribe until I came back to this thread.

Sean
05-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Shouldn`t you put a subscribe button on the main page? I could not find a way to subscribe until I came back to this thread.
Good point Jorge, I guess most people use the "new posts" link so they don't see the main forums, in the main forums list is the subscription forum. I'll work something out, thanks

Sean
05-24-2004, 06:42 PM
Subscription numbers are increasing, this is a HUGE relief, thanks to everyone who has subscribed so far :)

Jim Moore
05-24-2004, 07:54 PM
Subscription numbers are increasing, this is a HUGE relief, thanks to everyone who has subscribed so far :)

That is good news Sean :D

I hope that they continue to do so.

Jim

Flotsam
05-24-2004, 09:23 PM
Okay Sean, I paid. Now you can remove that "Deadbeat" notation from my screen information. :)

Ole
05-25-2004, 06:17 AM
This is a "me too" post. Paycheck in today, subscription paid today :)

Leon
05-25-2004, 06:38 AM
sean - year subs paid through paypal today. Cheers

photomc
05-25-2004, 07:17 AM
This is a "me too" post. Paycheck in today, subscription paid today :)

One more "me too", paid last night...Thanks for evrything Sean!!

roy
05-25-2004, 12:45 PM
Thanks Sean for all your efforts. The new site gets more meaningful every day !! Sub on its way.

Francesco
05-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Many thanks Sean!

Sean
05-25-2004, 07:11 PM
Thanks everyone :)

bmac
05-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Bump!

Poco
05-29-2004, 05:12 PM
"Bump"

Good idea, let's keep the momentum going. It's not right that getting a few subscribers should come as a "huge relief" to Sean -- there's no way that, on top of all the time he puts into APUG, he should ever be worried about the financial end of things. That's one burden too many.