PDA

View Full Version : Xpan 45mm, slim filter?

BenZucker
02-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Im thinking about getting a uv filter for my xpan. I was wondering if I need a "slim" filter, or if a normal 49mm filter (b+w brand if it matters) will work with out showing up in the corners of the image? Does any one have any experience with this?

Stuart
02-28-2010, 06:01 AM
The xpan 45mm will take two normal filters without any problems.
I always have a centre filter and a B+W UV or a colour on.

Vincent Brady
02-28-2010, 07:55 AM
I've always used normal filters with my xpan and because it is a 49mm tread I have the whole range to pick from my 35mm SLR set.

jbbooks
02-28-2010, 01:18 PM
The xpan 45mm will take two normal filters without any problems.
I always have a centre filter and a B+W UV or a colour on.

What he said. I leave the center filter on all the time and put another; UV, Polarizer, whatever, on top of it with no problems.

Colin Corneau
03-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Do any of you use a center filter for the regular 45mm lens, or just the 30mm wide?

Vincent Brady
03-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Do any of you use a center filter for the regular 45mm lens, or just the 30mm wide?

As I only ever use B&W film and the 45mm & the 90mm lenses I have never invested or felt the need to in the center filter.

Cheers
Vincent

jbbooks
03-02-2010, 08:39 AM
On the other hand, with color slide film to be viewed by projection, I think the center filter is a necessity with the 45mm lens. Shoot a roll with the 45mm lens without the filter and see what you think. You will know pretty quick whether or not you are willing to pay for the filter. If you are budgeting for the cost of an XPan and a 45mm lens, plan on paying for the center filter to go with it.

Colin Corneau
03-03-2010, 11:54 PM
How would you describe it? I'm looking at a 90mm and already have a 45mm (which I love and has given me wonderfully sharp prints, albeit I've only ever shot B&W neg)

sepiareverb
03-04-2010, 03:24 PM
I've never been able to mount the hood with two filters, and the slim filters I had were larger diameter so the hood wouldn't mount anyway.

Vanishing Point Ent.
03-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Im thinking about getting a uv filter for my xpan. I was wondering if I need a "slim" filter, or if a normal 49mm filter (b+w brand if it matters) will work with out showing up in the corners of the image? Does any one have any experience with this?

If you go with a B+W F-Pro filter, it is in a thinner mount, then
the older " normal " B+W filter mounts. You can still screw on
a 2nd filter, or lens hood. You have a much better chance of
eliminating vignetting this way.

I have tried this on my Voigtlander 12 mm. The older mount,
didn't heavily vignette, but I wasn't shooting at f 22 either.
I'm hopeful this will work, if not, there's always the thin or W.A.
as a hood, or 2nd filter is not required.

However;

Not to hijack this thread, but they make a warm polarizer,
why not a warm center-filter.

BenZucker
03-23-2010, 07:17 PM
I ended up getting a normal filter and it seems to be working just great!!! Thanks for all the info everyone!!!!!