PDA

View Full Version : “Monthly” Shooting Assignment - Mar/Apr 2010: “Blessings”

nsouto
03-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Hi folks. It's my turn again, and this time I looked around for themes that would be common to everyone at this time.

Just seasonal ones are not viable, as it is Autumn here while most of you are on your way to Spring: a bit hard to coordinate...:rolleyes:

After a considerable amount of thought, I'd like to propose we try a theme of "Blessings": those little bits of day to day existence that make it all worthwhile and put a smile in our souls.

You know: the little flower bed in the garden coming up good after all that prep work, the turning of the leaves in Autumn, the view on your daily walk, the morning coffee shop, the kids playing in the park after school, birds catching the morning food, any of those poetic, almost unnoticed, moments that make our existence so much more enjoyable.

Have fun finding and capturing them. I'll try and kick things off soon, still going through the latest batch of film scans.

mike c
03-02-2010, 12:56 AM
I will give it a try Noons,been kind of off lately,maybe looking for the little brief bright things will boast my sprites.The wife just planted alot of seeds in the garden last month,I'll keep a eye on them for when they blossom.

Mike

nsouto
03-07-2010, 09:52 PM
There you go, folks.
I've kicked it off to give an idea what I'm after.
Give us a bit of those little moments, views, trivial things that fill our life with joy.

nsouto
03-13-2010, 03:28 PM
****crickets****

Come on folks, don't forget there is only 6 weeks left,,,
:)

mooseontheloose
03-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Actually, for once I have an image that works for the theme, and shot within the time frame! However, I just developed the roll, but I am unable to print or scan it as I am in throes of moving to Japan (leave Wednesday). However, I hope to post once I get all set up over there.

Mike1234
03-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Blessings? LOL!! I'm too much of a cynic for this. :D

nsouto
03-15-2010, 07:38 AM
No need to get religious!
:p

Andrey.Gorshkov
03-18-2010, 02:25 AM
Here in Kiev still the winter! On the morning I saw that the Heaven refresh white carpet.
I hope on next Monday the spring catch the right and my snowboard will have a rest and my camera will start to work :)

barbara ann
03-25-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm having a roll developed as I write this. Hopefully, there will be one, maybe two images I can enter !

mike c
05-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Well I'll be darned,just found where the Monthly shooting assignment pic's are posted,going to add some, hope it not to late. Gotta open my eyes a little more.

nsouto
05-02-2010, 06:17 AM
Hurry up folks. I'm flat out this weekend and will start looking at all the photos tomorrow, if that's OK with you all.

mike c
05-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Okay nssouto,I am going to try to put some pics as soon as I print them,sorry for the delay.

mike c
05-03-2010, 02:32 AM
Well got some of them in,next time I'll won't wait till midnight of last day.

Mike

nsouto
05-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Hmmm... This is going to be very hard.

Do I really have to pick a single winner? To me there are quite a few winners here!

First, Bertus gave us a great view of why it's worth grabbing the gear and get out there to take images of those places that so touch us. That was followed with a lovely shot of a family event, and that is a blessing indeed.

Barbara Ann then followed with three perfect examples. I particularly like the last one, the shot of the bird feeding. It's just a great blessing to be able to see a scene like that in a photo!

Next davelam shared with us the special view of grabbing that great camera in the thrift shop. Obviously a great happy moment in finding that Oly and putting it to good use!

Thomas shared a simple image, greatly enhanced by the texture of the media used to present it. I am not familiar with the technique but it spiked my curiosity enough to make it to the "must look into this" rank! Surely a great use of the theme.

Sly rejoined us - welcome back and here is hoping the pain stays away! - with two blessed images indeed! Simply stunning in their simplicity and message.

Finally, Mikec squeezed in 5 unique images, of great simplicity and yet quite evocative of the proposed theme. The one with the flowers poking out of the snow/ice just brings back so many memories...

I am at a loss trying to single one out, as I write this. Bertus' "Taking pictures in a nice day", Barbara's bird feeding, Thomas' unusual but excellent application of technique, Sly's amazing shot of the child-to-be and finally Mike's shot of the flowers coming out of an icy hibernation, all of those touched me very strongly. As far as I am concerned, they are all winners!

I wish I could declare them all as such!
But the rules say I have to pick a winner. Well, so be it:

mikec, your flowers (Blessings 002) have it: get ready to pick a subject in two months time!

Thanks heaps to everyone for contributing at a time when it's still cold and uncomfortable to get out in your Northern surrounds!

And above all: thanks for sharing your images, it's what photography is all about.

Bless you!

mike c
05-04-2010, 01:10 AM
WOW,what an honor.So many great photo's there.Right now all I can say Noons is I hope to be at least half as good as you were hosting the Monthly Shooting Assignment.Had fun with it,going to be hard to make a choice about a winner but I will do my best.Thank you.

Mike

mike c
05-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Noos,I just pick the subject matter of the Assignment and not the winner,is that correct? Going through all the older assignments trying to figure out what my responsibility is.

sly
05-04-2010, 10:51 AM
You pick the subject for the July-August MSA, and pick the winner (that's the hard part). Congratulations on your win!

mike c
05-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Okay,thanks sly.I think I can handle that,what a responsibility considering all the great photographers here.May be I'll be able to earn my aviator badge!!

Mike