PDA

View Full Version : The Impossible Project: 22 March 2010

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

sepiareverb
03-25-2010, 06:51 PM
I've ordered a few packs, seems to be $11 shipping to the US. Best news for analog photography all month!

Brian Legge
03-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Definitely something odd going on with shipping prices. I was set to order two packs, saw the shipping was $11 and decided to add a third. On adding a third, shipping jumped up to $25. I went with two packs.

After seeing these posts, I went back to the site to see if it order count specific. 1-3 packs showed up as $11 now.

Michel Hardy-Vallée
03-26-2010, 09:28 AM
6 weeeeeeeksssss!!!! damn it

AAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be a different person in 6 weeks; I wants it now!!

guyjr
03-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Wow - they are down to their last 16 packs as of now. Great first run!

tessar
03-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Re the Impossible shipping costs: I wanted to try a pack of PX, not unreasonable at $21 USD. Then I found out the shipping rate to Canada was $50 USD! Having lived in Holland, I know that postage to Canada costs no more than postage to the US. Seems strange.

Ektagraphic
03-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Could have been an error. They were having some website issues....

fLOVE
03-31-2010, 02:15 AM
This quote "Being the only company worldwide capable of manufacturing analog Instant Film" is blatantly incorrect. Fuji currently manufactures instant films, and Kodak can but will not!

Well, the sale starts soon. I wish them luck.

PE

They mean integral instant film, in theory anyone could, but they'd have to build a $10M machine and have all the know how of what to put into it first. So as far as integral film goes....it's very true.

fLOVE
03-31-2010, 02:15 AM
Btw, I actually attended the event, it was a lot of fun. :)

Akki14
03-31-2010, 03:08 AM
They mean integral instant film, in theory anyone could, but they'd have to build a $10M machine and have all the know how of what to put into it first. So as far as integral film goes....it's very true.

... Fuji makes instax. That's integral film.

DennisGrieder
03-31-2010, 05:34 AM
Bullseye...

There seems to be a small contingent here who constantly put down any attempts by anyone at resurrection of any analog products anywhere. Too many technical hurdles, they lament. No markets for them, they predict. Not enough ROI, they pontificate. This is wrong. That is wrong. The other thing is wrong. And gosh, nothing else is even close to perfect. Why, they shouldn't even be trying. What's wrong with them? Don't they realize it's a hopeless cause?

Lodima would never make it. (I think it's shipping as I type this?)

Adox MCC would never make it. (Has shipped and garnered fabulous reviews.)

Impossible would never make it. (Now announced and about to begin shipping.)

The sad fact for this contingent is that there are individuals out there - other than themselves - who have the intelligence, experience, drive, ambition, and resources - or are willing to do what it takes to acquire those - to actually pull some of these resurrections off. Not every attempt will succeed, of course. But the only way to guarantee failure is to never try in the first place.

And that would also be the defining difference between the "work of the critic" and the results of the "man who does things."

Ken

"the only way to guarantee failure is to never try in the first place."

i'll be keeping that in mind for the rest of my life.

photomem
03-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Has anyone actually received their film? I ordered mine on Thursday, paid their 11.00 in shipping. For that, it should have been delivered a few minutes later by ninja.

guyjr
03-31-2010, 09:48 AM
I read on their Flickr group that some folks who ordered on the 25th received notifications yesterday that their orders shipped (this is for U.S. orders only). Apparently the warehouse in MA didn't actually receive the film until Monday, and they've been frantically trying to fill all the orders.

Brian Legge
03-31-2010, 10:29 AM
I ordered film the day after their announcement. I received it on Monday.

Ektagraphic
04-01-2010, 08:32 PM
I recieved the film. Be prepared to waste a few at first making sure that you know how to use it. If you don't follow the instuctions on their website your photos won't come out. The film is actually not very easy to use right away. I was not happy with the fact that the images were not easy to make like Polaroid so I gave Impossible a call and they were awesome. I talked with a woman for about a half hour. She basically explained to me that this film that is currently listed on their website as "First Flush" is really a first run at their first sucessful product. While it is not easy to work with, she explained that they have already improved upon it and the next batch to come along with the 600 film should be much better than this. So please, if you don't get the perfect prints this time, don't give up on the film and don't call them and blast them. They seem to be working really hard to please us and they are still perfecting their product to make it the best it can be. With that aside, I have taken some very lovely shots with it so far! It is very unpredictable and I really like it! I will try to post some scans soon.

Ektagraphic
04-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Here are some of the shots I took today.

photomem
04-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Honestly, I ordered it to make sure the sx-70 I have is fully functional after I went through it. I am quite happy with my Polaroid folders.

Ektagraphic
04-01-2010, 08:47 PM
In my experience, unless my SX-70 is not working right, I had to turn the dial all the way to the dark side as if I wanted to underexpose the print....Impossible reccomends the standard exposure setting of the middle.

tiberiustibz
04-01-2010, 10:51 PM
In my experience, unless my SX-70 is not working right, I had to turn the dial all the way to the dark side as if I wanted to underexpose the print....Impossible reccomends the standard exposure setting of the middle.

This has been the trend.

Ektagraphic
04-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Then it is kind of puzzling that their website says to make sure that it is perfectly in the middle......I think the one complaint that I have about this film is that you cannot watch it develop totally like you could with the Polaroid....

Ken Nadvornick
04-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Growing pains to be expected, I would think. This had to be an amazingly difficult undertaking. Hats off to both Impossible and Ilford (whose contributions have been muted, but no less critical and impressive it appears) for not listening to the "nattering nabobs of negativity."

A little patience by the market will be required for final success, I imagine...

Ken