PDA

View Full Version : Inquiring about photography workshops in the Toronto, Ontario area. . .

Pages : 1 [2]

David William White
04-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Well, Mihai and I shot around Harbourfront and over on Ward's Island today. Here are my 4x5 exposures, proofed on some old paper. The harbour with the condos in the background was shot with a red filter.

David William White
04-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Three more, showing some of the homes on Ward's Island.

naeroscatu
04-12-2010, 12:58 PM
David, gee that was fast. But then you're keeping up with a photo-a-day challenge, I'm very impressed.
I love what the red filter did to your Harbourfront image. I used a deep-orange filter my self so I hope to find the time to develop and post shortly.

Toffle
04-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Great work, guys. I hope to join you on an outing sometime in the coming months.

Cheers,

David William White
04-12-2010, 02:54 PM
The more the merrier!

Mihai: Hope you can post your Hassy frames soon...all of my film is horribly overdeveloped, sorta like I poured a tray of paper-strength developer back into my D-76 jug, or something similarly boneheaded.

naeroscatu
04-12-2010, 02:55 PM
I hope to join you on an outing sometime in the coming months. Tom, David kindly offered to share with us the locations where he is going over the week-ends so anyone can join if they want to.
I find this a very good idea and I will try to make it as often as possible. I'm always looking for new and intersting locations to shoot and never mind if there is company.

David William White
04-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Okay, so Tom and I are hitting U of T downtown on the morning of May 15th if anyone else is interested. Shoot be a fun shoot...

Marek Warunkiewicz
04-27-2010, 04:29 AM
Speaking of workshops, how many people would be interested in a tintype and/or collodion negative workshop here in Toronto? Is there any interest? I have been talking to a number of people but find that workshops in Toronto, despite there being so many people, are a hard sell. Not much interest. Maybe it could be the lack of marketing to the general public. Maybe an awareness campaign that there are places that might teach such workshops is needed.

David William White
04-27-2010, 12:33 PM
I'd like to hear more, Marek.

Mike Wilde
04-27-2010, 12:40 PM
All sorts of alt processes interest me, and I have almost 100% of the chemistry short of platinum and paladium stashed in my stores, but it is more a matter of finding the time.

Family committments, not to mention work deadlines keep me pretty darn busy this time of year.

It always feels so good to be filling in my timeshatt at work and then have to book all the hours over 7.5 to the work order graciously named 'unpaid overtime' and find that I really have worked like six work days in five some weeks.

Marek Warunkiewicz
04-27-2010, 02:40 PM
As you might know I am part of Gallery 44 and am trying to gauge interest in alt processes and how many people might be interested in taking workshops. Topics would include New Cyanotype, Tintypes, Ambrotypes, Collodion Negs, Platinum/Palladium, Digital Negative making, stuff like that. I don't want to spend days putting together info, and doing all the work required even before anything is firmed up, if there is little interest. Workshops MUST have a minimum of 8 people to be feasible. If I was to bring in one of the "alt process icons" to teach the course, we might need 10 or 12 people to make it worth while financially. Don't want to lose my shirt doing this. Not doing it for financial gain for myself, by the way.

Bob Carnie
04-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Gallery 44 has a first rate facility, gallery and wonderful administration and members.
I gave a Photoshop weekend lecture early in January at G 44 and the facility and staff were wonderful to deal with.
Gallery 44 has a underutilized 10 enlarger*4x5* workroom that is a dream for anyone wanting to learn. G Zilli gave a great lith workshop at G 44 and as Marek points out , with commitment he can bring in some great people and visiting Toronto for a weekend is a wonderful thing.

As you might know I am part of Gallery 44 and am trying to gauge interest in alt processes and how many people might be interested in taking workshops. Topics would include New Cyanotype, Tintypes, Ambrotypes, Collodion Negs, Platinum/Palladium, Digital Negative making, stuff like that. I don't want to spend days putting together info, and doing all the work required even before anything is firmed up, if there is little interest. Workshops MUST have a minimum of 8 people to be feasible. If I was to bring in one of the "alt process icons" to teach the course, we might need 10 or 12 people to make it worth while financially. Don't want to lose my shirt doing this. Not doing it for financial gain for myself, by the way.

CGW
04-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Marek, what are the possible metrics in terms of cost(s)? I doubt many would commit without an upfront $ figure.

David William White
04-27-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm okay on cyanotyping, and no interest in digital negs, but please count me in as firm for anything else like tintypes, collodion, and especially pt/pd.

Toffle
04-27-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm okay on cyanotyping, and no interest in digital negs, but please count me in as firm for anything else like tintypes, collodion, and especially pt/pd.

Come July and August, (and possibly some June weekends) I will be up for just about anything. I am very interested in all of the above. Hopefully the GTA can support some sort of high skills workshops. As I mentioned earlier, I am interested in some shooting weekends as well, and would be willing to reciprocate with some days in Point Pelee if anyone was interested. (Birding is only a week or two away, and if you pick the right days, September is great for the Monarch migration.)

Cheers,

David William White
04-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Point Pelee would make an excellent weekend trip. If anyone else is up for a road trip, let me know.

naeroscatu
05-03-2010, 01:54 PM
David, Tom,
End of May - beginning of June I'm "home alone":) so I'm open to a week-end trip. If you guys schedule anything please keep me posted. Cheers

David William White
09-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Any traction on this, Marek?