PDA

View Full Version : Double-cable releases.... Two Unrelated Questions

holmburgers
03-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Hey everyone,

So I have two questions regarding the use of double cable releases.

The first inquiry is just addressing the need for them in the first place. I have a Canon EF (not the lenses, the old body) & AE-1P and I use them with an Auto-Bellows FL. When I've done this, I simply use the stop down metering. So what's the advantage of using a double cable release? I just don't get it.

AND secondly, this is actually what I came here to ask, and although it doesn't relate specifically to macro photography, I figured you guys would know better than most.... I want to use a double cable release to fire two cameras at once (or in close succession) for stereo photography. It appears that most of the cables have one line that is shorter than the other to permit stopping down first, then shutter, right? So how long is the delay? For static subjects, a large delay wouldn't be a problem but I'd like to be able to take pseudo-action shots. Would faster "plunging" ;) permit a shorter dealy?

Thanks!

David A. Goldfarb
03-25-2010, 12:44 PM
You might want to be able to focus at full aperture then shoot stopped down without having to change the aperture value on the aperture ring. Stopped down metering also tends to be inaccurate at very low light levels, and with high magnification low light levels are the norm, so you might get a more accurate meter reading by metering wide open and then stopping down. Lacking a double cable release, of course, you could just meter wide open and stop down manually. You can also just use two cable releases, stopping down the lens first and then firing the camera.

Double cable releases are often adjustable, so you may be able to get them pretty close to in sync.

holmburgers
03-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Very cool, it's all clear now. Thanks for the response!

Dave_ON
04-06-2010, 05:26 PM
I use the double cable release when using a bellows attachment on my Nikon F3 with a reversed lens. Nikon has a ring attachment for that to operate the apeture.

It's also necessary on the Mamiya RB & RZ67's when you want to use the mirror up function.

holmburgers
04-07-2010, 09:31 PM
How long between the two events? That's what I would like to know at this point. Thnx

Q.G.
04-08-2010, 12:44 AM
It depends on the double cable release. There is no industry standard. And these thingies are adjustable (that is: one of the two is) to fine tune the delay. So there is no definite answer.
If you have a double cable release, it's easy enough to test. Set up your intended stereo pair, and just try it.

Pressing the thing faster will indeed shorten the delay. But it will also be more violent, increase the risk of shake.