PDA

View Full Version : Now this is a TOY camera!

fotophox
03-26-2010, 02:00 PM
'Toy' as in FUN!

http://nicnichols.com/FourCornersDark/?p=4585

Jeff Kubach
03-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Ain't that something else! TOY with capital letters!

Jeff

Akki14
03-27-2010, 06:41 AM
It looks a bit like Spongebob!

bvy
03-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Now there's a street camera -- a camera that smiles back! I don't care for half frame, but I might have to make an exception...

gr82bart
04-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Awesome camera. Must have one ...

Regards, Art.

Joe VanCleave
04-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Nic Nichols has a fun website, it's on my list of favorites. The thing I like about toy cameras, and visiting toy camera websites, is that they remind me that photography should be fun. Sometimes we take all the fun out of it, and take it too serious.

~Joe

patois
04-30-2010, 11:14 AM
I bet that camera is great for taking portraits of people. I bet they smile at the face.

Mike Wilde
04-30-2010, 01:18 PM
What is the problem with half frame if it is half frame 120?

Akki14
05-04-2010, 04:30 AM
What is the problem with half frame if it is half frame 120?

I'm guessing because its number is 135 it's a 35mm film camera so half frame 35mm, not 120. Holga make a number of 35mm film cameras, not just the flagship Holga 120 camera :)

Rodex
05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Nic Nichols has a fun website, it's on my list of favorites. The thing I like about toy cameras, and visiting toy camera websites, is that they remind me that photography should be fun. Sometimes we take all the fun out of it, and take it too serious.

~Joe

That's why I'm also on the lomography website.

Q.G.
05-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Are you saying that we here do not have fun when 'photographing'?

Or/and that we need overly expensive cult toys to have fun with photography?

:D

arealitystudios
05-04-2010, 11:17 AM
wow, I had never heard of this site before. Now I have something to distract me for the next hour instead of doing my work. yay!

Has anyone ever used this stuff before?

http://www.fourcornerstore.com/collections/frontpage/products/four-corner-color-film-9-pack-100asa

That is a fantastic price for color film. I'm sure its no Portra or Ektar but it would be great to have a cheap color negative film to use for pinhole and toy camera stuff if its decent.

Rodex
05-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Are you saying that we here do not have fun when 'photographing'?

Or/and that we need overly expensive cult toys to have fun with photography?

No certainly not :p Just saying that there are more kinds of fun in photography. When I browse this forum the members have lots of fun with good-quality camera's. Lomography is more about lo-fi photography and experimenting, but please don't feel attacked. That wasn't the purpose of the comment :)

Q.G.
05-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Are you saying you can't experiment or do "lo-fi" photography with anything but overly expensive cult toys?

Rodex
05-04-2010, 01:55 PM
What I'm saying is that there's a difference between analog photography on the APUG forum and lomography. Yes you can experiment and do lo-fi photography. The difference is that on lomography.com a whole community is based around this concept.

TSSPro
05-04-2010, 02:11 PM
That thing is great- I think that I will need one next time I try and go incognito!

Q.G.
05-04-2010, 03:51 PM
What I'm saying is that there's a difference between analog photography on the APUG forum and lomography. Yes you can experiment and do lo-fi photography. The difference is that on lomography.com a whole community is based around this concept.

It's that old thing once again, but:...

You know the old Lomography? When a Lomo was just a thing that happened to be handy for next to nothing?

Then you must also know that that Lomography and today's so called "Lomography" are two quite different things.
Anyone enjoying the first, true Lomography would not even want to be seen in the same hemisphere as that latter day perversion called Lomography.com.

The fun the original Lomography enjoyed did not depend on what camera you would use, nor on what you did with it. It happened on the Lomo because being extremely cheap, they made it a very low threshold thing.

And that's something to go over a few times in your head, to ponder for a while. So take your time.

Lomography.com is nothing but an attempt to sucker people into spending a lot of money on what still is stuff with extremely low value. The low threshold is gone, replaced by a must-have marketing ploy. (Not unlike today's designer punk, factory torn jeans, and all that fake crap.)
Completely opposite to what Lomography (the Real One) ever was or wanted to be.

Get whatever camera you already have, put some film in it, and do whatever you want. That is Lomography.
Give Lomography.com the fingers. Fart, as Monty Python put it, in their general direction, for selling overpriced crap under false pretense. That too is Lomography

Rodex
05-04-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm talking about the community, not the camera's Lomography is selling. You are right that the original concept has been commercialized by selling camera's for way too high prices. The people who post articles, try different camera's and film and experiment with analog photography aren't commercialized. There are enough people who go to flee markets and buy old camera's and search ebay for that old roll of film they want to use. I agree to you on the shop part of the website but you should take a second look at the community imo.

Q.G.
05-04-2010, 04:26 PM
I know Lomography. The original one, that is.
And thus i know that you do not need special cameras.
Nor do you need to belong to a special community.

And that's why i was challenging the notion that you do, that 'ordinary APUGers' do not have fun, cannot have fun, in photography unless they get themselves some overly expensive cult toys.

Rodex
05-05-2010, 03:14 AM
I have never said anything like that ;) I was saying that lomography.com is a community based on toy photography alone. I know APUGers have fun with photography otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. You have to agree with me that there's a difference between the two. If you can't see that there's no point in discussing this.