PDA

View Full Version : NE OH Gathering May 14-16, 2010

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

jp80874
04-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Speaking of food as we often do, I should mention that there is a good place to have breakfast, the Richfield Family Restaurant, across the street from the two motels at the Turnpike entrance, roughly five miles north of our house. It is not a gorgeous restaurant but it is cheap, wholesome, tasty and pretty quick.

John

jp80874
04-09-2010, 02:20 PM
I am happy to report our first Midwest Large Format Asylum member, Colleen Kumrow from Jackson, WI has said she will join us. That is a long ride. I hope the regulars will make her feel welcome.

John

jp80874
04-09-2010, 10:07 PM
There is a concurrent thread running on the Midwest Large Format Asylum. Jim Thompson of Kalamazoo, MI posted that he will join us. Several more are thinking about it. Jeff, tell them about the ice cream.

John

jp80874
04-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Last gathering Peter Spangenberg performed an excellent platinum printing demonstration that was gratefully applauded by those attending. The pictures had the added interest of being from his trip to China. If someone would like to do a demonstration of something to do with our hobby it would be greatly appreciated. I want to apologize to Dale Marsh who offered to do a lith printing presentation this event. Because our house is serviced by a well and a somewhat fragile septic system, Dolly and I were afraid we might end up being thoroughly toned, inside and out. We would be most happy to drive up the street to your house and see it there.

We are open to any volunteers or suggestions. If you have an idea that needs some support from our end please suggest the idea and we can attempt to work out the details. For those who have not been here before, we have an 11x13 foot B&W darkroom in the basement with electricity, ventilation and plumbing. At an earlier event Nicholas Lindan used the darkroom to show his company Darkroom Automation’s F-stop timer. This was so well received that over time at least half of the regulars, maybe more, have bought and happily put one to use.

At another event we had a show and tell of LF cameras lined up between the house and the pond. Then several shooters spread out about the edges of the pond (100’x 200’) to take pictures. Dorothy Kloss’ efforts to be artistic were being frustrated by a stubborn resident bush which was quickly chainsawed into sawdust. Bill Schwab brought his trailer and entertained us with the ever portable wet plate process.

Make a suggestion and let’s see if we can make it happen.

John

jameswilliamjones
04-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Looking forward to seeing everyone again. This time I'll try to bring prints. Will try to get the weekend off work.

Bill

Lee L
04-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Speaking of lith printing, I got a copy of The World of Lith Printing at Half-Price Books for $10+ tax last week. They had one other copy, so if anyone wants to reimburse me at my cost, I can buy it and bring it to the gathering.

This is not the Master Photographer's Lith Printing Course, but is the follow up book described here: http://worldoflithprinting.com/index.php

Lee

jp80874
04-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Looking forward to seeing everyone again. This time I'll try to bring prints. Will try to get the weekend off work.

Bill

Great Avatar. Thanks Bill. With your permission I wanted to add the email you sent. As host it is exciting to see the buzz build as more people get involved and say they will attend. Thanks.

John

“Great!!! I really enjoyed the last visit, John, and definitely look forward to this one. Since my last visit I have actually set up a darkroom with the enlarger that Jeff and Eva were kind enough to give me. I've got a small collection of prints that I'll bring along. In all likelihood I'll drive down during the day and back to my place in the evening. I don't have my work schedule for that weekend but I'm certain I'll be able to work around it.

Look forward to see you.

Bill “

jp80874
04-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Speaking of lith printing, I got a copy of The World of Lith Printing at Half-Price Books for $10+ tax last week. They had one other copy, so if anyone wants to reimburse me at my cost, I can buy it and bring it to the gathering.

This is not the Master Photographer's Lith Printing Course, but is the follow up book described here: http://worldoflithprinting.com/index.php

Lee

Lee,

Thanks for the generous offer. I'm sure someone will want that.

Your post reminds me that in the past several people have mentioned items they wanted to sell before the event. If someone is interested they can return post. The seller knows it is worth loading up the car with items that are likely to sell. Everyone please feel free to post anything you would like to offer to the group or anything you would like to find that one of us might have.

John

daleeman
04-14-2010, 10:29 AM
John,
Sent you a PM with my info. Looks like I'm not going to be the only Lee there. I will admist to being a new again newbie with my 4x5. I used one 15-20 years ago in a studio (food photography), but the lure and ease of roll film and the 35mm has taken me further. I'll bring up the 4x5 and I'd certainly love pointers and encouragment to get out and use it more, starting with the waterfalls and back yard kind of things.
Lee

Shawn Dougherty
04-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Puts me in a good mood just seeing this thread pop up every so often! Can't wait to get back... and maybe check out the "harder to get to" fall down from Blue Hen you were telling us about, John? If anyone is interested in making the trek with me!

And of course if you decide to do some shooting of your own during this round, John, my offer of carrying each others packs is still good.

Shawn

eclarke
04-14-2010, 11:56 AM
I'd commit to coming but it seems lately that I vacillate about or completely jinx the whole affair. OK if I just show up unannounced?...Evan Clarke

daleeman
04-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi All,

John suggested I introduce myself as I plan to attend the gathering.

A short bio of me is, I'm old, well not that old, but studied the zone system under Arnold Gassen at Ohio University in my hippy days in the 70’s. I was taught my basics by my grandfather and father as a kid, sitting on a stool in the dark bathroom telling them when every 30 seconds went by from a luminous pocket watch. Had no idea why or what I was doing but remember being too scared to try to get off that high stool in the dark. 30 seconds, 30 seconds, 30 seconds.

Presently I like to shoot my 6X6 second hand Hassy, have a 40 C T*, 80 CF and 150 CF for it. I just recently sold my Mamiya 1000S with 55, 80 and 150, having two systems just was eating my lunch. Dad taught me on his Leica IIIF so I have an M2 with Leitz, Zeiss and CV lenses. A Leica Flex SL, an R4Mot too. My loving wife put an M8.2 into my hands on our 1st wedding anniversary. I have a Tachihara 4x5 but I have very little trigger time on it. I used to work for a studio and did food photography and table top catalog things but just haven’t had the free time to shoot a lot with it so the camera is pristine but my brain is rusty.

The pay check comes from the Air Force (civilian) and I teach video production at Sinclair College as an adjunct. Sue, my bride runs her own business called Kettering Glass, has since she got out of high school.

Sue and I have been married about a year and a half; she is a gem and a keeper! She is a bird watcher, author and guide. She will be at Margie Marsh (?) outside Toledo on this May weekend for the returning migration to Canada. She is really something when it comes to identifying any species of birds, their lives, migration and such. We love to be outside but I am not a great wildlife photographer (yet). I do have access to big glass like 300, 500 and 800mm Nikon lenses but here again, not enough trigger time to be an expert.

So, you get.03 cents back for your nickel tour of my life. I look forward to meeting all of you.

Lee

Lee L
04-14-2010, 01:48 PM
She will be at Margie Marsh (?) outside Toledo on this May weekend for the returning migration to Canada. She is really something when it comes to identifying any species of birds, their lives, migration and such.

Lee

Magee Marsh. Great place for spring warblers, and I've seen a Great Horned Owl with young there just a few feet off the boardwalk.

Lee

jp80874
04-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Puts me in a good mood just seeing this thread pop up every so often! Can't wait to get back... and maybe check out the "harder to get to" fall down from Blue Hen you were telling us about, John? If anyone is interested in making the trek with me!

And of course if you decide to do some shooting of your own during this round, John, my offer of carrying each others packs is still good.

Shawn

Shawn,

As usual, most generous of you. The hike to Buttermilk Falls is only about a mile one way from the Blue Hen parking lot. Parts of it are very narrow along the edge of the high banks of the stream and have fallen away. The park has put up a sign at Blue Hen saying that the trail ends there. The girls and I will happily walk there but thanks I donít want to be responsible for your gear. Our Hiking Hounds group went four miles last Sunday at a different place. I caught a stick between my feet. Those beside me said it was a very impressive roll for a 70 year old. Nothing was broken.

Last time I was at Butter Milk Falls one of the Hiking Hounds dogs tried to climb the falls. A large tree had fallen over the falls. That was an interesting shot, but not nearly as interesting as when itís master tried to follow it. It is a lovely place. It might make a very interesting picture for anyone wanting to go.

John

jp80874
04-14-2010, 02:56 PM
I'd commit to coming but it seems lately that I vacillate about or completely jinx the whole affair. OK if I just show up unannounced?...Evan Clarke

Well sure Evan except I wonít send you the address/directions unless you commit, send contact and emergency contact information. Just suck it up, grab that gorgeous new 11x14, grab your buddy from our gallery prowl in Louisville, hop in that great 4 Runner and come on over. No whining, sniveling or pussy footing allowed, just come on down and have a good time.

John

jp80874
04-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks Lee Gephart for the introduction. I think you and Lee Lumpkin will have a lot to talk about and enjoy. Thanks everyone for the enthusiasm.

John

jp80874
04-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Hey, where is Dorothy? Anyone heard from her? I dropped her an email. D O R O T H Y ! !

John

Shawn Dougherty
04-14-2010, 03:15 PM
First of all I'm glad you're alright!

Secondly, I think you should start having Dolly videotape your walks for, um, posterity. =)

Thirdly, the offer is good anywhere - not just Buttermilk.

Shawn

Our Hiking Hounds group went four miles last Sunday at a different place. I caught a stick between my feet. Those beside me said it was a very impressive roll for a 70 year old. Nothing was broken.

Last time I was at Butter Milk Falls one of the Hiking Hounds dogs tried to climb the falls. A large tree had fallen over the falls. That was an interesting shot, but not nearly as interesting as when itís master tried to follow it.
John

Paul Armstrong
04-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Count me in, John. I'll send my info by PM

jp80874
04-14-2010, 04:10 PM
First of all I'm glad you're alright!

Secondly, I think you should start having Dolly videotape your walks for, um, posterity. =)

Thirdly, the offer is good anywhere - not just Buttermilk.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn. I really wish Dolly could make those long walks. 1/2 mile is tops for her. Secondly, I was told that my posterior flew so high that Dolly isn't tall enough to photograph it even if she were there. Thirdly I appreciate it. I am not much of a multi tasker. I really like to photograph. I really like to make sure my friends are safe and having a good time. I get horribly confused trying to do both. Maybe some time one on one.

Thanks. It is a most generous offer.

John