PDA

View Full Version : NE OH Gathering May 14-16, 2010

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

jp80874
04-28-2010, 08:38 PM
In the interest of quality assurance Dolly and I went to the Country Maid this evening to be sure the home made ice cream was up to the standard our attendees have grown to expect. Shawn, I think it will be safe to take you there this time as the introduction you missed last year. For those not with us this event, Jeff, you will be pleased to know the Country Maid now has a website with map, hours, directions and (can you take this Jeff?) FLAVORS.
http://countrymaidicecream.com/flavors.htm

See you soon.

John & Dolly

winger
04-28-2010, 10:23 PM
so I was depressed & bought a new film camera - arrives tomorrow. ITS A HOLGA! Thought I could get out of the technical madness. Anybody in our group use one? It's a 120N. I heard 400 ISO to start with. ???

Sorry John for hijackn this thread, but it's more fun talking to people you know than strangers on different forums.

I have 2 - one's an original that I bought new for $16 several years ago. The other is the one with the colored flashes (haven't finished the first roll in it, yet). 400 is a good way to go. I tend to use expired film that I wouldn't trust for "good" shots.

Jeff Bannow
04-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Jeff, you will be pleased to know the Country Maid now has a website with map, hours, directions and (can you take this Jeff?) FLAVORS.
http://countrymaidicecream.com/flavors.htm

I looked all over and couldn't find the delivery options!

daleeman
04-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Never had a Holga, but at Ohio Univ we had to use a Diana F to set everyone equal in the 101 to 115 level photos courses. The light leaks alone drove me crazy. My dad had a 6x6 Rolli and a filter retaining ring for it and he let me take it to OU for 3 terms. I picked up a glass cutter from a hardware store and would pick up odd pieces of glass and cut filters for the TLR. Had some amazing images from all kinds of glass. Would hand them in on my class Diana F assignments but would never show anyone my contact sheets because there were no light leaks from the TLR camera and they would probably boot me out as a photo major for trying to be inventive.

I have seen many people using the Holgas now and I have to wonder about getting into glass collecting again for my future Diana F / Holga wantabees images. I think I just talked myself into this.

Lee

eclarke
04-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Holy cow! peppermint stick ice cream, can't get it anywhere in Milwaukee...EC

jp80874
04-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Never had a Holga, but at Ohio Univ we had to use a Diana F to set everyone equal in the 101 to 115 level photos courses. The light leaks alone drove me crazy. My dad had a 6x6 Rolli and a filter retaining ring for it and he let me take it to OU for 3 terms. I picked up a glass cutter from a hardware store and would pick up odd pieces of glass and cut filters for the TLR. Had some amazing images from all kinds of glass. Would hand them in on my class Diana F assignments but would never show anyone my contact sheets because there were no light leaks from the TLR camera and they would probably boot me out as a photo major for trying to be inventive.

I have seen many people using the Holgas now and I have to wonder about getting into glass collecting again for my future Diana F / Holga wantabees images. I think I just talked myself into this.

Lee

Lee,

I am looking forward to meeting you. We have a group of very imaginative people, each one bringing interesting ideas and interesting connections. The make up and resulting output evolves with each gathering as does the membership. I hope you will enjoy it as much as we will enjoy the conversations and work.

John

jp80874
04-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Holy cow! peppermint stick ice cream, can't get it anywhere in Milwaukee...EC

The Ohio and Indiana Turnpikes offer a salivating solution to that problem. I hope we will not run out of napkins.

Getting here from the west isn’t too bad a chore either. The South Bend Chocolate Company has three stores on the Indiana Turnpike. http://www.sbchocolate.com/locations.html

Oooppps, I keep forgetting that this is a photography forum.

John

ic-racer
04-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Beyond Blue Hen Falls....
I finally made the trek downstream past Blue Hen Falls. I got to the second falls and they are right about at the service area for the ski slopes. It is located in the gully between the two slopes. I wanted to get up to the top of the slopes and did manage that also. However, it is very steep behind the slopes and I had to make my own path.

At one point I thought "boy I'm deep in the woods and the terrain is tough here" but then a young couple with a fluff 'house dog' ambled by...

I guess it always seems more exciting when alone and on a trail for the first time.

After all the climbing I made my "ice cream" stop at Rosati's Frozen Custard in Macedonia.

jp80874
05-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Beyond Blue Hen Falls....
I finally made the trek downstream past Blue Hen Falls. I got to the second falls and they are right about at the service area for the ski slopes. It is located in the gully between the two slopes. I wanted to get up to the top of the slopes and did manage that also. However, it is very steep behind the slopes and I had to make my own path.

At one point I thought "boy I'm deep in the woods and the terrain is tough here" but then a young couple with a fluff 'house dog' ambled by...

I guess it always seems more exciting when alone and on a trail for the first time.

After all the climbing I made my "ice cream" stop at Rosati's Frozen Custard in Macedonia.

Dale,

Just before you cross the stream to get to the top of Buttermilk Falls there is a trail that goes up to the top that may be easier than the one you made. At the start it appears to be going back west, but it bends around to the north and comes out at a jeep or tractor trail just above the top of the ski lift. This is the trail I mentioned in an earlier post where I take the yellow escalator. It is gorgeous above, around and below Buttermilk Falls. All the Hiking Hounds people pull out their cell phones and go, "oooh aaaah." I groan.

If there is interest from the rest of the gathering we could have a group hike to both falls either day. Again because both falls pour to the east I would suggest the light would be better for a morning hike. Savannah and Cindy will be happy to lead the way. Be aware when deciding what gear to take that it is rough terrain and a lot steeper coming back.

Oh my gosh, Rosati's also has an on-line menu. http://www.rosatisfrozencustard.com/our_menu.htm

John

Jeff Bannow
05-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Oh my gosh, Rosati's also has an on-line menu.

Ooohhh ... Chocolate Raspberry Royale ...

jp80874
05-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Ooohhh ... Chocolate Raspberry Royale ...

Gosh, I sure hope these places will still be in business when you and Eva come for the next event.

John

jp80874
05-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Cuyahoga Valley National Park
Countryside Farmers’ Market at Howe Meadow

(4 miles from our house)

Saturdays, May 15 through October 30
9 a.m. – noon

A good place for street photography,
Flowers, fruit, meat and vegetables from local farms.

John

Jeff Bannow
05-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Gosh, I sure hope these places will still be in business when you and Eva come for the next event.

John

Me too!

That farmer's market had some pretty tasty food when we went last year as well.

- Jeff

ic-racer
05-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Dale,

Just before you cross the stream to get to the top of Buttermilk Falls there is a trail that goes up to the top that may be easier than the one you made. At the start it appears to be going back west, but it bends around to the north and comes out at a jeep or tractor trail just above the top of the ski lift....
John

OK, that would make it a lot easier. I eventually wound up on a high, narrow divide with Boston Mills Road down on one side and the creek on the other side. It was pretty steep on each side. It connected the back of the ski slope to the big cellphone tower.

Nicholas Lindan
05-01-2010, 07:56 PM
My dad had a 6x6 Rolli ... Would hand them in on my class Diana F assignments ...

Gee, I had the same experience. We had to duplicate the 'look' of a daguerreotype for a sophomore(ic) class . Prof said we couldn't use MF, implying we were to use 35mm. He didn't say anything about making contact prints from 4x5 LF negatives, though. The prints were judged on the basis of how much detail they captured. The students in class were sure I was using MF and so accused me but I swore up and down, very convincingly (as one can do when telling the truth...), that I didn't use medium format. Instead I lied, and mumbled things about High Contrast Copy and H&W control developer - for even more brownie points.

As to the get-together. At this time it looks like I will be in cloudy, cold and miserable Northern California that weekend. If things change, I will certainly be at John's with the rest of you. If not, I'll say hello to Pt. Lobos, Muir Beach and the Yosemite dogwoods for you, though I will be wishing I was back in Cleveland.

jp80874
05-01-2010, 08:20 PM
OK, that would make it a lot easier. I eventually wound up on a high, narrow divide with Boston Mills Road down on one side and the creek on the other side. It was pretty steep on each side. It connected the back of the ski slope to the big cellphone tower.

Not sure, but I think we may be talking about different sides of the creek. The path I mentioned goes up first NW, then N from the creek. If I understand you, I believe you went south from the creek. If so, obviously we arrived at different places. Both might be very interesting, if not strenuous to explore.

John

jp80874
05-01-2010, 08:23 PM
As to the get-together. At this time it looks like I will be in cloudy, cold and miserable Northern California that weekend. If things change, I will certainly be at John's with the rest of you. If not, I'll say hello to Pt. Lobos, Muir Beach and the Yosemite dogwoods for you, though I will be wishing I was back in Cleveland.

Thanks for letting us know what is happening for you. I for one would happily go along to see those wonderful places. A safe trip and takes lots of pictures to share next time.

John

Lee L
05-03-2010, 11:29 AM
There is a darkroom setup for sale on the Cleveland Craigslist that's just north of our meeting area. Omega D series and C700 enlargers with trays, drums, roller base, several timers, grain focuser, color analyzer, etc. $125 for the lot.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pho/1688814000.html

Not an endorsement, just a heads up for those traveling here who might want to look into it or are looking for a good price on a 4x5 enlarger (with lots of other stuff thrown in).

Lee

jp80874
05-04-2010, 12:29 PM
The girls and I decided to hike the two water falls (Blue Hen and Buttermilk) this morning just to see how the trail was and what was the potential for photographs? Locally the dogwoods are beautifully in bloom, but down by the waterfalls it was too early and cool for the blooms. We arrived at Blue Hen just after 8:30 AM.

Here is a link to Blue Hen at various seasons. http://www.nps.gov/cuva/photosmultimedia/index.htm?eid=166559&root_aId=385

Today the water flow was most like the spring image. http://www.nps.gov/mwr/customcf/apps/pgallery/photo.cfm?pid=5559&aid=385&gid=385

By arriving by 8:30 AM the sun was still low enough that the dark area below the top of the fall, but above the landing of the water, was nicely illuminated. There would have been detail in a photograph that probably would have been lost in darkness if photographed at the time of the second link.

There is a sign that says “Blue Hen Falls, Trail ends.” We went on to Buttermilk Falls, about a mile further down stream. Since the trail is closed, a lot of trees have fallen and not been removed. The trail is still very obvious; you just have to walk around a few obstacles. You have to cross the stream three times to follow the closed trail. You can usually find rocks to step on. Wear boots or shoes that will hold wet, slimy stone. I would suggest against tennis shoes because there are so many rocks and roots you would not have the support and protection my feet need. If you slip in the water, water proof is nice, but for most boots it is only up to the lace holes. The water was quite cool this morning.

Buttermilk Falls was partially illuminated by about 9:00 AM. Full lighting like this http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/buttermilkCUVA.shtml must be earlier or later, I am not sure. Lee L. this is more your area of expertise. When do you think the lighting would cover the whole fall? The water is falling east.

We got back to Blue Hen about 9:30 AM and the fill light mentioned above was gone. We had a wonderful walk. The girls were wet and muddy. One of my socks was wet, but it was a great a beautiful walk that I hope you will enjoy. I am showered and dry now. The girls are damp but asleep. Savannah, the 12 year old is groaning in her sleep.

Come on down and visit.

John

jp80874
05-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Two messages copied from the Mid West LF Asylum

I'm looking forward to checking out Ohio. I'm not sure when I'll get there Friday-the weather forecast will probably determine if I'm going to try and get up super early and get through Chicago before morning rush hour, or if I'll sleep in and try Chicago mid-morning. I'll probably drive around and scope out Cuyahoga a little then drop in Friday night to say hi and see if anyone has any dawn shooting plans and wants company.

Colleen

Colleen,

Glad to read that you are coming. If you are going to prowl around the park a bit first, take a look at this page for over all and specific maps of the many features of the park. http://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/maps.htm
We will have a paper handout map for you when you get here, but they are also in wooden boxes at just about every trail head. That is where I grab them to give out.

I just noticed the park link I gave at the start of this thread is no longer functioning. The http://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/ page is a good starting place.

Lee, Dorothy and Shawn are the usual dawn shooters and can show or tell you about some of the places they have been before. The girls and I are usually out hiking by 8:30 AM and can tell you what we like.

It is a long ride, 360 miles from here to O’Hare. Don’t be surprised if it feels like a nap when you get here. It always has for me in the thirty years I have driven to Chicago, but Dolly thinks the Mennonite pork chops, gravy and mashed potatoes mid Indiana may have something to do with it.

Let me know if you have any information requests. We usually gather about 5 PM, talk, show prints, go somewhere for dinner and come back to the house.

John