PDA

View Full Version : NE OH Gathering May 14-16, 2010

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

Shawn Dougherty
05-06-2010, 01:08 PM
So even with reasonably good info and computer simulation, we'll just have to go there and find out for ourselves. How quaint ... and analog. :)

Lee L

LOL! Let's do it.

jp80874
05-06-2010, 01:59 PM
The tree Dale photographed, that is laying down the length of Buttermilk Falls, came down in a big storm last year. It had been growing maybe 50 feet above the falls on a possibly 60-70 degree slope. I took the Hiking Hounds group down there just after the storm unaware this tree had fallen. I had told them we would be hiking up the slope, meaning the trail I described earlier. That massive tree tore a trail in the slope as it came down and the HH group thought that was what I expected them to climb. Anguish.

If all of us want to go to the falls at different times Sunday morning, let’s cancel the 10:00 AM coffee meeting at our house, all go to the falls at times they are comfortable with, and then go to the Richfield Family Restaurant across from the Hampton Inn for brunch. The restaurant is maybe a mile west of the parking lot we will be using for the falls hike. We will look at maps Saturday when we meet for dinner and be sure every one knows the way or is comfortable with other plans if they don't feel like the hike.

By the way the HH group schedules all their hikes to meet in the “Barking Lot” at the individual trail heads.

John

ic-racer
05-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Speaking of computers and Google Map, I did something a little different today. I had found an interesting area by scanning the Google Map of the region. I found this unusual erosion and set out to photograph it. It did turn out to be a natural formation. The depth of the grooves and the steepness are not appreciated in the aerial photograph. Probably worth another trip with a bigger camera next time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/erosion.jpg

daleeman
05-07-2010, 07:01 AM
Cool! No chainsaw required! Thanks for the visual updates, Dale.

Sounds like Lee L and I are going to do the Sunday morning thing - very early - before the lights starts pouring down through the trees. We'll be sure to get a time together for anyone interested in joining us. It's easy to get to the parking lot so if someone wants to come before 10 o'clock coffee but not as early as us we should be able to meet up easily enough. I'll bring my cell just in case.

If you can stand another Lee on the early morning journey, I'm a very early riser but have no idea about the area up there

Lee

jp80874
05-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Lee,

We are talking about a Sunday morning venture. When you meet the group at our house earlier I will have a paper map of the whole park for you. We can mark the parking lot for Blue Hen Falls and the Richfield family Restaurant on it.

In advance of that you can use the Google Maps that Lee Lumpkin has put together. http://sites.google.com/site/neohapug/home/places Scroll down to the fourth map, Blue Hen Falls.

John

Shawn Dougherty
05-07-2010, 09:49 AM
I was thinking that we'd probably need one more Lee for the early round! Anyone know another Shawn who shoots film? Couldn't hurt to have a back up... =)

As John said, I'm sure we'll get everything figured out on Saturday. Definitely check out the link he posted. Lee (the other Lee) did a fine job putting it together. Looking forward to meeting you!
Shawn

Lee L
05-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Lee,

In advance of that you can use the Google Maps that Lee Lumpkin has put together. http://sites.google.com/site/neohapug/home/places Scroll down to the fourth map, Blue Hen Falls.

John
Just updated the maps. Icons on the Blue Hen Falls parking lot and falls, and you can now pan the map a bit to the NE to see where Buttermilk Falls is. Falls icons are pink P&S cameras, but be assured they are film P&S cameras.

Also changed the Sylvan Lake map for the better. It didn't pick up the parking lot or lake icons before.

Google now allows full browser width maps on Google Sites. So that's why those maps are wider.

Lee L

Nicholas Lindan
05-07-2010, 05:00 PM
I had found an interesting area by scanning the Google Map of the region. [Lock 39]

It's an EPA superfund site. I have no idea what's there - old gravel pit or someplace they buried radium from the Harshaw plant. There isn't much (any) information on it.

djkloss
05-07-2010, 05:31 PM
somehow I missed 5 pages of this thread. Last update I got was from page 6. oh my! I just found out my Jeep needs about $1000 of work for inspection by the end of the month and last year my tent leaked. Is anyone else camping? As always it will be iffy as to whether I make it.

Nicholas Lindan
05-07-2010, 06:05 PM
last year my tent leaked.

I can lend you tent if you like - it is a big one, so if it leaks you can always find a dry spot somewhere.

Oh, yes. It looks like I will be in California in June rather than May, so I should be able to make this spring's - oh, what's the word I'm looking for - ado, agitation, ballyhoo, bedlam, big scene, brouhaha, bustle, clatter, combustion, confusion, convulsion, dither, excitement, ferment, fermentation, flap, flurry, furor, fuss, hell broke loose, hubbub, hurly-burly, insurgence, insurrection, lather, mutiny, outcry, pandemonium, perturbation, pother, racket, rebellion, revolt, riot, rumpus, stew, stir, to-do, tumult, turbulence, upheaval, uprising, upset, upturn, vexation, welter, whirl - hmmm, none seem to fit, but they'll all do.

jp80874
05-09-2010, 06:54 AM
Dorothy, sorry to read the car is giving more trouble.

Nick, glad to read you will be with us.

We had a big storm Friday night. The Govt. declared a storm warning just north of us with 60 mph wind and golf ball size hail. There may yet be more trees down on the falls. The water flow must have been great.

John

daleeman
05-10-2010, 07:36 AM
John,

Boss just hit me with a task and took away my Friday vacation time; as you may know with the Air Force, Mission First Always. I am still driving up there on Friday, I just do not know my departure time now, 1100, 1400, 1700 hours and 3.5 or so hours of drive from Dayton (Got to get that Mil time out of my head). Are you having an arrival get together on Friday? If so how late is too late to stop by? Will have your phone number with me.

I am staying at the Marriott property on Springdale above Akron and if I get in real late I was wondering how early people are gathering on Saturday. I see Sunday looks like a hike out to the falls and early is always good for me I can get board 4 minutes after waking up at 0422 hours in the AM. I was wondering how Saturday was shaking out. I'd Love to see the old paper mill if anyone can point me out there, take anyone I can fit in the midget Honda and anything else you all suggest.

Truly looking forward to meeting you all, getting out and tickling some silver. I reread the threads again and it got me more excited now that we are in the week. Thanks again John and Dolly for extending your hospitality, and the doggs too!

Lee Gephart

jp80874
05-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Lee,

Not a problem on our end. We will gather about 5 PM Friday, talk, show prints and go somewhere for dinner. Somewhere decided by the taste of those who show up. It may be quite close to your hotel. Is the phone # you gave a cell or your home? I can leave a message where we are eating once I know or we can catch up in the morning.

Saturday morning we will gather here about 10 AM to talk, show prints, etc. Some will go out early and some will sleep in. Can you go to Lee L's maps and locate Jaite Paper Mill and get there Saturday morning? Is there someone who could be tour guide? I think I need to be here hosting.

John

Lee L
05-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Can you go to Lee L's maps and locate Jaite Paper Mill and get there Saturday morning? Is there someone who could be tour guide? I think I need to be here hosting.

John

Jaite Paper Mill location added to the NE OH APUG google sites map page:
http://sites.google.com/site/neohapug/home/places

Scroll down to find the map.

I haven't been there. Is it posted?

Lee L

daleeman
05-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Lee,

Not a problem on our end. We will gather about 5 PM Friday, talk, show prints and go somewhere for dinner. Somewhere decided by the taste of those who show up. It may be quite close to your hotel. Is the phone # you gave a cell or your home? I can leave a message where we are eating once I know or we can catch up in the morning.

Saturday morning we will gather here about 10 AM to talk, show prints, etc. Some will go out early and some will sleep in. Can you go to Lee L's maps and locate Jaite Paper Mill and get there Saturday morning? Is there someone who could be tour guide? I think I need to be here hosting.

John

John, the 937-294-3117 # is a cell. Certainly give a call there. If I get lucky I can finish the task and rock up the road. I'll try to track down the mill. I love old rusting hardware, great to photograph and reminds me of some of the cars I used to drive. A three on the tree '63 Biscayne, hand painted with a brush and four snow tires, it was my Cleveland car when I lived up that way, perfect for rusting to the ground at the airport as I flew out of town every week.

Lee

jp80874
05-10-2010, 03:12 PM
The Powers’ household is excited. Five days until the guests arrive.

I ordered the porta potty today. This is $112 for the weekend. Contributions will be appreciated.

We are trying to get some sense of who is coming, when and where they will stay. This all has to do with logistics on our end, being here when you arrive, making sure we have enough camping space, not looking for someone who can’t come. We realize stuff happens and changes have to be made, but a rough idea would help. Following is a list of who said they will be coming, when I think you will arrive and where I think you are staying. I would be grateful if you would correct any mistakes and fill in missing details.

Any film photographer interested in coming who has not signed in is most welcome. Please PM me with: contact information, when you will be here, where you will be staying and an emergency contact.

Paul A Arriving: ? Staying: Hotel

Bob C , Arriving: ? Staying: Home

Shawn D, Arriving: Saturday PM, Staying: Camping

Bethe F,

Lee G, Arriving: ? Staying: Hotel

Cody G, Arriving: ? Staying: Hotel

Bill J, Arriving: ? Staying: Home

Dorothy K, Arriving: ? Staying: Camping?

Colleen K, Arriving: Friday PM, Staying: Hotel

Nicholas L , Arriving: ? Staying: Home

Lee L, Arriving: ? Staying: Camping

Dale M, Arriving: ? Staying: Home

Jeff S, Arriving: ? Staying: Home

Peter S Arriving: ? Staying: Home

Peter S has offered to bring an Adams retouching machine which should be really interesting to see.

John

winger
05-10-2010, 03:26 PM
I'm planning on just doing the round trip on Sat, but I may bring stuff with me just in case. I haven't told my neighbor, yet, so I hope he's around this weekend to let my pack out. I probably won't be going out and shooting - just around your pond. I haven't quite figured out the logistics of carrying gear and baby much less shooting while carrying him.
But I'm looking forward to seeing whoever's there and having adult conversations! Or as adult as they get anyway. :)

Rick A
05-10-2010, 03:38 PM
I carried all nine of mine (not at the same time)in a Gerry kid pack while I had cameras hanging on my neck and a fly rod in my hand. I think you capable of figuring out haow to pack yours and a camera(tho it may not be a LF)

djkloss
05-10-2010, 06:56 PM
I can lend you tent if you like - it is a big one, so if it leaks you can always find a dry spot somewhere.

Oh, yes. It looks like I will be in California in June rather than May, so I should be able to make this spring's - oh, what's the word I'm looking for - ado, agitation, ballyhoo, bedlam, big scene, brouhaha, bustle, clatter, combustion, confusion, convulsion, dither, excitement, ferment, fermentation, flap, flurry, furor, fuss, hell broke loose, hubbub, hurly-burly, insurgence, insurrection, lather, mutiny, outcry, pandemonium, perturbation, pother, racket, rebellion, revolt, riot, rumpus, stew, stir, to-do, tumult, turbulence, upheaval, uprising, upset, upturn, vexation, welter, whirl - hmmm, none seem to fit, but they'll all do.

Thanks Nicholas, I appreciate it. I think I'll just take my chances on the little one. I took Friday & Sunday off, so I'm planning on coming down Friday night.

jp80874
05-10-2010, 06:58 PM
I apologize. It has been pointed out that I posted more information about you than some people would like to have on the internet. There was still time for the “edit” feature to function so I stripped you of your identity. Sorry.

John P.