PDA

View Full Version : NE OH Gathering May 14-16, 2010

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11

jp80874
05-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Looks like jameswilliamjones and I are off today. When are you expecting folks? Do you need any help getting ready?

Thanks Dale.

I think we have most things ready.
Come on down about 5 PM

John

Shawn Dougherty
05-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Ok, I've been meaning to ask for a year now and finally remembered today. Anyone know where "Bridle Veil Falls" is located? - and not the one in Yosemite. =)

I've heard it referenced in regards to Cuyahoga Valley NP - and have seen a few pictures. I've attached one I found online.

Nicholas Lindan
05-14-2010, 01:32 PM
"Bridle Veil Falls" in regards to Cuyahoga Valley

It's in the Bedford Metropark, adjacent to the northern part of the CVNRA. Many of the prettiest areas are not in the NRA but it the surrounding Cleveland Metroparks: South Chagrin, Brecksville, Rocky River and Hinckley come to mind.

http://www.clemetparks.com/pdf/reservations/Bedford_Reservation.pdf

Google for images.

Shawn Dougherty
05-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks, Nicholas!

ic-racer
05-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks Dale.

I think we have most things ready.
Come on down about 5 PM

John

We will see you then.

Since the weather looks good and I may have to do other things the rest of the weekend, we are going to go shoot some at the ledges now and then head over.

ic-racer
05-14-2010, 02:06 PM
I have been up and down that road many times so I know exactly where that is. What I recall is that the falls were hard to see, but based on that photograph you posted, maybe its worth another look.

htimsdj
05-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Hi Guys - Hope someone is reading this.

I will probably head over to Blue Hen falls Sunday morning and then meet over at the Restaurant that John suggested in an earlier post. Any idea of what time folks will head to the restaurant?

John - Please feel free to give my cell phone to anyone. I may try to call you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

thanks, Jeff

ic-racer
05-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Nice to meet up with everyone Friday night! I'll see you all again Sunday.

jp80874
05-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Hi Guys - Hope someone is reading this.

I will probably head over to Blue Hen falls Sunday morning and then meet over at the Restaurant that John suggested in an earlier post. Any idea of what time folks will head to the restaurant?

John - Please feel free to give my cell phone to anyone. I may try to call you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

thanks, Jeff

Jeff,

Sorry Jeff. I don't have an answer. It seems that people are going to go as early as they are comfortable, which will be different for each person. I will probably get there at 8 AM or earlier and see what I find. Some have said they will go the mile to the next falls and others have said no. If you see an older guy (70) with two running yellow labs, that is me.

John

daleeman
05-16-2010, 02:40 PM
I'd like to chime in with this simple thought.

Three Cheers for John and his wife for hosting us and gathering us in to share stories, friendships and great scenery. This was the first time to meet you-all and have a chance to get out and do some nature photography. It helped my mind, body and spirit. I truly look forward to see you all again very soon.

Lee
Yea that other Lee

djkloss
05-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Thank you John & Dolly for the wonderful hospitality. I had a wonderful time as always. Looking forward to our next gathering.

winger
05-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Thank you! Though I didn't do any shooting, it was good to have a little photo related conversation. Thank you, John for giving me some much needed movements help with the 8x10 and thank you, Dolly for holding the munchkin during the lesson!
Hopefully, I'll be able to do some shooting and printing soon 'cause I'm going slightly nuts.

djkloss
05-16-2010, 07:37 PM
just developed my first roll of Efke IR. at least there's some sort of image on each frame. will know more tomorrow when they're dry.

I had a great time and it was nice meeting all the new people too.

Lee L
05-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks again to John and Dolly for generously hosting a bunch of unpredictable free range photographers. We make herding cats look easy.

It was great to meet the new folks and catch up with the regulars, and to get out and get some good shooting in, and see a few new places.

A note for those reading this thread and looking for places to shoot:
The Jaite paper mill site discussed earlier in this thread appears to be constantly locked up behind a chain link fence with barbed wire on top. , According to a sign at the site, there are plans to use the remaining machines as an interpretive exhibit and restore the rest of the site to nature. But you can't get within about 30-40 yards of the machines at this time, and have to shoot through small gaps in the chain link fence.

I've put some better info on Jaite paper mill on the NEOH APUG google site mentioned earlier in the thread.
http://sites.google.com/site/neohapug/home/places

Lee

Paul Armstrong
05-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Sure looks like everybody had some great weather. I was looking forward to this one, there's an endless supply of great locations, as well as the venue. Would have come if I could have.
We had to put my mother in the hopital, she was having extreme shortness of breath. The Cat scans showed her lungs full of lesions and they think it's TB. She's in an isolation ward. They're going in with a camera today. I was going to try for at least Sunday, but it would have been terrible if I had to make a quick trip back, I just couldn't chance it. I'll look for the next one.

jp80874
05-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Sure looks like everybody had some great weather. I was looking forward to this one, there's an endless supply of great locations, as well as the venue. Would have come if I could have.
We had to put my mother in the hopital, she was having extreme shortness of breath. The Cat scans showed her lungs full of lesions and they think it's TB. She's in an isolation ward. They're going in with a camera today. I was going to try for at least Sunday, but it would have been terrible if I had to make a quick trip back, I just couldn't chance it. I'll look for the next one.

Paul,

So sorry to learn of your mother’s medical problems. I hope the Doctors are able to help her. We all missed you here and hope things begin to get better for her.

John & Dolly

htimsdj
05-17-2010, 10:42 AM
I enjoyed meeting everyone on Sunday. John - Thanks for organizing and hosting this event. I look forward to the next one.

I enjoyed the prints shown by Shawn and Dale Eman!

Jeff

jp80874
05-17-2010, 11:07 AM
We had a wonderful weekend at the Powers’ house and the park. Thank you all for your kind words. It was the most loosely organized event we have had and some times such as Sunday morning it was a little hard to tell what was going on. As Lee suggested we are not people who want to play on schedule. I am so glad you all came. We really enjoyed the new work people brought. Some very interesting people joined us for the first time. The regulars in attendance were as fun as before. Some need to get out, take some pictures, develop film and make some prints, if for no other reason than to feel good about it. We want to see more work and enjoy hearing the stories about the work.

Thank you all for coming, Colleen all the way from Wisconsin. It was wonderful to see Bethe and her new baby, but for way too short a time. Dorothy overcame technology, geography, geology and still had fun. Sunday morning I saw her way down in the river bottom below Blue Hen Falls. I wasn’t sure she would get back up, but she made it out when we mentioned food. The other Lee (Gephart) showed us some wonderful western tour work in the parks out there and some very interesting alternative process work. That was particularly exciting for me as I will be taking a five week course in that later this summer. Another new member for us Jeff Smith showed us scanned 35mm work that looked far better than I thought possible from that format.

As many times before, we met new wonderful people, saw great places, enjoyed old friends and want to do it again. By the way a token three scoops of ice cream were eaten in Jeff’s memory by Dolly, John and Colleen. We are hoping to have another event as soon as mid July. We would like to encourage more of the Midwestern LF Asylum group to join us. Let me confirm the weekend they travel.

John

ic-racer
05-17-2010, 03:22 PM
I could only be there for part of the time and wish I could have met up with everyone and seen all your work. Thanks John for hosting again and I hope we can get together next week after the camera show.

Thats too bad about the Mill. I'll admit the first time I went, with hand-held 6x6 cm, I went through a "gap" in the fence. Then next time, I was with my kids and 8x10 camera. The gate was wide open, we just walked on in and all took pictures.

My impression had been that the fence was built while they were taking down the buildings. Now that the area is totally cleared I thought they would remove the fence, but I guess thats not the case.

jameswilliamjones
05-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Thank you John for having me over again. I had a wonderful time. I'm going to the camera show this saturday morning and hopefully will run into everyone there.

Bill