PDA

View Full Version : Tom Petters sentenced

AgX
04-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Tom Petters has been sentenced to 50years of imprisonmemt by US court for fraud.

mgb74
04-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Yes, but given allowance for time served and possible time off for good behavior, he may serve only 41 years.

Jeff Kubach
04-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Greed can creap on you for sure!

Jeff

AgX
04-12-2010, 12:15 PM
I am still puzzled by that verdict. Though I should not be surprised as the different national kinds of criminal justice are continuously a topic of the media over here.

mgb74
04-12-2010, 01:22 PM
What puzzles you? Too short? Too long? Sentence vs. that for a violent crime?

AgX
04-12-2010, 03:02 PM
I am puzzled by the long duration. Over here fraud is a relatively mildly sentenced crime as the opponent in the transaction is participating (by letting himself being betrayed).
You refer to violent crime: As the sentence in this case is practically already a life-long sentence, how would someone be sentenced who commited a violent crime?

Kirk Keyes
04-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Violent crimes in the US usually get long sentences and then early parole it seems...

mgb74
04-12-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm no expert, but from what I read in the local papers the Petters sentence is a function of a few things:
it was a long running fraud, and multiple frauds, not an isolated incident
he did not plead guilty (kind of a catch-22)
many people were hurt
it's intended as a warning to others.

Perhaps if he had been sentenced before some of the larger scandals came to light (such as Madoff) he would have gotten off a bit easier. But the public is angry.

MattKing
04-12-2010, 11:26 PM
I am puzzled by the long duration. Over here fraud is a relatively mildly sentenced crime as the opponent in the transaction is participating (by letting himself being betrayed).
You refer to violent crime: As the sentence in this case is practically already a life-long sentence, how would someone be sentenced who commited a violent crime?

AgX:

Arguably, the USA believes in and uses incarceration more than any other country in the world.

I expect that it has something to do with the fact that there are two parallel systems of criminal justice (federal and state).