PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts..ImPossible 600 is here!

Pages : 1 [2] 3

tiberiustibz
04-16-2010, 09:07 PM
I feel like they will be constantly revising it for a while.

Any plastic 600 focus free camera is virtually worthless because there are so many millions kicking around. Any SLR or camera with autofocus/other intriguing features can be worth more.

Ektagraphic
04-16-2010, 11:13 PM
As far as it seems, they won't make a big deal of the revisions. They will happen. They said that they are no longer running the same PX-100 that was introduced and this next batch that was shipped along with the 600 has some of the revisions.

Q.G.
04-17-2010, 03:55 AM
As far as it seems, they won't make a big deal of the revisions. They will happen. They said that they are no longer running the same PX-100 that was introduced and this next batch that was shipped along with the 600 has some of the revisions.

So how will we know what film we are buying?
Puts me off getting some of the stuff yet again.

Ektagraphic
04-17-2010, 08:58 AM
That I don't know but will try to get the answer to. From the way that they put, it seemed like they said that all of the stuff that you are buying directly off of them from now on will be revised.....Don't quote me on that. I'll give them a holler.

Ektagraphic
04-17-2010, 11:25 AM
The film hit my mailbox this morning! AMAZING especially when compared to the first PX-100! I will try to get some scans. It is much more of an actual BLACK and WHITE then the "silver shade" of the 100.

Peter de Groot
04-17-2010, 01:52 PM
I hope mine will come on monday. Can't wait.

canuhead
04-17-2010, 04:51 PM
can't wait to see the scans ! now if they could just resolve the Canadian shipping rate issue....

SoonerBJJ
04-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Ordered some today. I'm happy to be supporting the IP.

canuhead
04-18-2010, 01:39 PM
... they charge me 50 USD for delivering two packs (worth 42 USD) to Canada...

Funnier that shipping is the same whether it's one pack or 10. Tempted to order a bunch just to make shipping worthwhile.

Ektagraphic
04-18-2010, 02:40 PM
In the US, they are shipped in Priority Mail Flat rate boxes so I guess it depends on how many they could shove in the box and I think that they could fit 10.....I am away and have no way to scan at the moment so hopefully, next weekend I can share my results.

Aurum
04-19-2010, 04:59 PM
I have looked at ordering two packs, but they charge me 50 USD for delivering two packs (worth 42 USD) to Canada. I know the Loonie is currently kicking the Greenback's lower back, but expensive is expensive.

I have contacted them to say how ludicrous it was; if anybody else in Canada can do the same, they might benefit from the feedback.

If its any consolation they want 18 a pack for the UK, and 14 to ship it from Europe. Sorry that is really taking the pish, Volcano or no Volcano, its a lightweight film pack fer heavens sake!

Might wait for my local John Lewis to stock it for 25 on special order

Q.G.
04-20-2010, 12:35 AM
If its any consolation they want 18 a pack for the UK [...]

They really don't like exchange rates, i see.
According to the IP, € 18 = 18 = US$ 21.
The high shipping rates they charge must be to cover the losses they make converting 18 to US$ 21... ;)

Ken Nadvornick
04-20-2010, 01:41 AM
OK. So Ektagraphic has me all fired up now.

So tonight I decided it's time to put my money where my mouth is. That's what all of those APUG amateur capitalists keep bleating at us, right? Nothing on Earth counts for anything, except money. Well by God, I'm going to spend some now. That is, if I can find something to spend it on.

So I start digging for my long lost and forgotten Polaroid camera. I know it's here... somewhere... but I don't see a thing. Let's try over there. Nope. How about in the back of this cabinet I never open for anything? Nope. I didn't sell it, did I?

Half an hour later, Bingo! It's a Pronto! Sonar One-Step. Circa 1978.

Wow. Must have stored this over 25+ years ago. Looks like it. This thing is covered in dust. And it was stored in a box. Out comes the canned air and wet paper towels. And some isopropyl for the lens.

Twenty gentle minutes later and... Holy Cow! This thing looks like brand new! Not a single scratch can be found anywhere. Crystal clear taking lens and viewfinder. The plastic exterior still has that ultra-smooth just-out-of-the-box feel. The inside is pristine. The brass roller still shines like new. I don't think it was ever even used. What a deal!

But wait. There's more. A LN- Polatronic electronic flash unit is also lurking about, complete with tripod screw mounting plate. This thing can't be any good after 32 years, can it? Go dig up 4 'AA' alkalines, turn it on, and nothing happens. Oh well, it was too much to hope for.

But wait. Test the batteries and they are gloriously dead! Another chance. Grab four new 'AA' lithium cells, figuring the ancient capacitor can use the extra oomph. Turn it on again and... bang! It's charged and ready to fire in 8 seconds flat. Six pops later and it's fully charging in 4-5 seconds. Yikes. How cool is that?

So two packs of the latest PX-100 and $11.00 shipping ordered online. Should arrive here in a few days, I suspect. Christmas came early this year. I can't wait.

BTW. This is all your fault, Ektagraphic. At least that's what I'm 'gonna tell the wife.

Ken

P.S. I also found my truly ancient Polaroid Type 95A "Speedliner" camera (c.1954). First update from the original Polaroid 95 instant camera. A big, beautiful bellows camera with a wire-framing guide a la Weegee. Used Polaroid Type 40 roll film, I believe. Also known as the "Woodpecker" model. $95 new. That's around $850 in todays USD, according to a Polaroid web site I saw.

holmburgers
04-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Good thread and I'm excited to try some out myself! It really does look a lot better. Post your examples ASAP!

Cheers!

canuhead
04-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Heard back from Marlene about shipping to Canada and they're working on getting it sent from the states which SHOULD be cheaper. Fingers crossed and as noted before, this film is said to be sharper and look more like trad b/w so I'm looking forward to using it. Just need to find a ND to put over the film pack so I can use my sx70 again.

kraker
04-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Received two packs of the 600 First Flush today. :)

I can't wait to give it a try, but... I first have to finish the "regular" Polaroid 600 pack that's already in the camera. :(

matt S
04-21-2010, 04:17 PM
I shot two packs of PX600 in my SX-70 this weekend- the darken/lighten dial set all the way to darken.

Wow! This is what I was hoping for in the PX100 film- excellent detail (for a polaroid) and some great tones. Not nearly as picky as the PX100, and shoots great in my SX-70. None of my first 16 shots were destroyed by light or handling. I have no special devices for the film- just shoot and put it in my pocket for a few minutes- or flip it upside down on the table for a few.

One strange thing- the film curls as it ejects. The back side of the frame seems like the white frame is separating from the film, with some blue stuff leaking out. Has not seemed to affect my images, though.

Maybe my expectations were just real low after the PX 100 first flush, but I like the PX600 a lot.

I think they are getting really really close to having a great product on their hands.

Matt (who has no scanner).

canuhead
04-21-2010, 08:02 PM
that's what we want to hear Matt ! and you didn't need to use a ND filter in front of the film either ? maybe I SHOULD order some now...

Peter de Groot
04-22-2010, 08:09 AM
i have got my first two packs today. I will start shooting it tomorrow and I will post the results as wel.

matt S
04-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Hi again.

Still no scanner, but I took some quick digital shots of some recent polaroid images- so excuse the tripod legs and camera reflection and self timer red light in all the photos!

The first two images: the same scene, the same time of day, the same camera- different days and different film. The first image was taken with the first batch of PX-100- the second image was taken with the first batch of PX-600. The second image had the light/dark dial set all the way to dark. No ND filter or anything.

Yes, there may be focus and shake and other things going on here- not a very scientific test- but you get the idea of the two films qualities.

First, PX-100:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/mstott/polaroid/IMG_2393.jpg

Next, the PX-600:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/mstott/polaroid/IMG_2404.jpg

The detail in the brick with the PX-600 film really comes out.

I will try to get some more up.

Matt (sorry for the digital photos)