PDA

View Full Version : Impossible takes on 8x10?

Pages : [1] 2

vdonovan
04-20-2010, 02:23 AM
I've been a fan of The Impossible Project from day 1, even though I don't use integral film (except Fuji Instax). I'm glad that they've got their first product out and I hope it's a success.

But I just read on their web site that they also bought Polaroid's equipment for making 8x10 peel-apart film! There are no promises, but a clear statement that they are interested in eventually reviving this film as well.

I was a fan before, now I'm in love.

http://www.the-impossible-project.com/projects/8x10

Ken Nadvornick
04-20-2010, 02:55 AM
IIRC, there's also a statement of intent to possibly revive 20x24 instant film. Sadly, I believe I also read that the 4x5 tooling was destroyed before they could get to it.

Ken

Peter de Groot
09-22-2010, 12:17 PM
I went yesterday to a press thingy by the IP. They showed a instant film for the 20x24 camera. Awsome results. They used a couple of 8x10 pods for the chemicals so they did indeed fire up the 8x10 equipment. So all in all things look promising. Imagine 8x10 instant film......

Oh and I saw examples of the new color film. That looked as well. Very seventies colour wise!

Phil
09-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Here's a clip from the "Impossible Update" email that I received yesterday:

<clip>
Impossible saved the last intact production machinery for the legendary 8 x 10 inch film format and got it from the USA in late 2009. We carefully re-located this unique equipment from Waltham near Boston to the Impossible factory, where the 8x10 production machinery is now set up.

To produce film for our integral film adventure on the 20 x 24 Polaroid camera, we restarted the 8 x 10 pod machine and proved - as you can see above - more than successful! This joyful experience boosts us to forward our 8 x 10 film project at full speed in order to hopefully soon bring the wonderful 8 x 10 format material back.
</clip>

ann
09-25-2010, 01:18 PM
i wonder if this means i don't have to junk my polaorid 8x10 processor?

amuderick
09-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Yes, I also heard that the 4x5 packaging line was lost. Big bummer. I guess I'll just have to move up to 8x10 when they are ready ;-)

pdexposures
09-26-2010, 01:06 PM
i wonder if this means i don't have to junk my polaorid 8x10 processor?

I was wondering the same thing. However, another part of me is curious to see if they produce an integral 8x10 print and film holder based on the 20x24 prints at photokina.

TSSPro
09-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Too rich for my blood...Pack film and 4x5 are pricey enough- Even the old Polaroid 8x10 that we had left over from a shoot layin at the studio would go for $30 for a pos and a neg if I wanted to sell it on ebay I never got to shoot much of that in my free time, tho. I didnt make that much when I worked there, so I couldnt afford it. If impossible project makes 8x10, I wouldnt be a surprise if it were pricier than the original polaroid stock.

Ektagraphic
09-30-2010, 06:11 AM
Sadly, I believe I also read that the 4x5 tooling was destroyed before they could get to it.

Ken

Possible to cut down the 8x10?

michaelbsc
09-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Possible to cut down the 8x10?

No. It's in a Polaroid developer pod. You would wreck the whole thing.

pdjr1991
09-30-2010, 09:35 AM
IIRC, there's also a statement of intent to possibly revive 20x24 instant film. Sadly, I believe I also read that the 4x5 tooling was destroyed before they could get to it.

Ken

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Matus Kalisky
09-30-2010, 10:28 AM
It would be great to see 4x5 coming along, although from the emails I am getting from them I can not help the feeling that the results are too much "lomo". But I would love to be able to shoot with some kind of replacement of Type 55. I would even consider some kind of P&S 4x5 camera for that purpose. But I guess I am out of luck for the time being ...

icono
09-30-2010, 01:04 PM
i've seen this blog: http://new55project.blogspot.com/ and they say there they have a wish to bring 55 type back to life. But i'm not sure how serious their intention is))

BobCrowley
09-30-2010, 06:46 PM
i've seen this blog: http://new55project.blogspot.com/ and they say there they have a wish to bring 55 type back to life. But i'm not sure how serious their intention is))

Well, serious enough to have spent quite a bit of time and money developing a new reagent, research and identify the necessary DTR kinetics which were never published, analyzed existing 55 and other 4x5 instant films, identified more than one suitable replacement emulsion, analyze the potential marketplace for a new P/N or N only material, identify and get prices on tooling and supplies, develop a field processable 4x5 scheme as a backup, and conduct breakeven analysis to see if it could be a profitable business at a gross margin of a modest 50%. As a manufacturer of things-for-sale already, I am not convinced it is, but that could change.

We have not decided how to fund actual commercialization, yet or if at all, but we definitely have the design and manufacturing techniques in-hand, and assume that others could do the same if they thought there was a sufficient demand.

A commitment of about 10K units (we think that means 1000 boxes of ten sheets each plus sodium sulfite packets) would cover perhaps half the startup investment according to the plan that's published.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

pdjr1991
10-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Well, serious enough to have spent quite a bit of time and money developing a new reagent, research and identify the necessary DTR kinetics which were never published, analyzed existing 55 and other 4x5 instant films, identified more than one suitable replacement emulsion, analyze the potential marketplace for a new P/N or N only material, identify and get prices on tooling and supplies, develop a field processable 4x5 scheme as a backup, and conduct breakeven analysis to see if it could be a profitable business at a gross margin of a modest 50%. As a manufacturer of things-for-sale already, I am not convinced it is, but that could change.

We have not decided how to fund actual commercialization, yet or if at all, but we definitely have the design and manufacturing techniques in-hand, and assume that others could do the same if they thought there was a sufficient demand.

A commitment of about 10K units (we think that means 1000 boxes of ten sheets each plus sodium sulfite packets) would cover perhaps half the startup investment according to the plan that's published.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Im a young buck that loves the 55. I really do hope they remake it. Ive heard of the new 55 project. but did not know how far they went. Thanks for the info!

Matus Kalisky
10-01-2010, 06:54 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Im a young buck that loves the 55. I really do hope they remake it. Ive heard of the new 55 project. but did not know how far they went. Thanks for the info!

I wish so too. And if they would manage to get the same ISO speed for the print and the negative - that would be even better :) just dreaming ...

amuderick
10-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Someone take the initiative to put together a cash advance pre-order account for 2500 10-pack boxes at $50/box. and I think you could persuade Bob to move things forward. The New55Project has done great work but it all comes down to dollars and cents. I'm in for three boxes.

BobCrowley
10-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Someone take the initiative to put together a cash advance pre-order account for 2500 10-pack boxes at $50/box. and I think you could persuade Bob to move things forward. The New55Project has done great work but it all comes down to dollars and cents. I'm in for three boxes.

Can I charge your BankAmericard for the three boxes? Seriously, there's probably enough to support a single product, but not as a standalone. Over the last 6 months the climate has changed a good deal and there are signs of a new kind of stable marketplace for films. Oil paints are still made too.

If we actually did get a pre-order for 25,000 sheets, it would definitely happen in a hurry, but no guarantees on the ISO matching.

pdjr1991
10-03-2010, 05:58 AM
id be in for four. Pricey but hopefully it will be well worth it!

Matus Kalisky
10-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Bob, does it mean that you would be able essentially to bring "back" the T55 (or a similar to that one)?

I would be in for 10 boxes and let you charge my visa card IF I could be assured that it would appear within 12 months or so. In the mean time I would save up some money for some of the Polaroid conversion cameras.

Mind you I have never shot T55 myself. I just love the idea and work what I have seen with T55 was very special to me. When I was about to give it a try (prices were quite a bit more than $50 per 10 sheet box here in Germany) it got discontinued and prices went up to sky.