PDA

View Full Version : E6 Development in Dublin

chughtai
04-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Hi,

I am new to medium format film and recently got a Holga 120WPC for the sole reason of 6x12 wide frames. After i used my first roll i realized (more like shocked to found out) that there's only one lab in dublin (Photocare on Abbey street) that handles E6 type films.

My question is, where can i print/scan the film since no one (including photocare) seem to have the facility to either print or scan the 6x12 frames. :mad:

or should i post a question in online forum to find an online shop that could do? Any ideas?

Thanks,

martinhughesireland
04-25-2010, 03:30 AM
You could try Photolabs on Lennox street, they used to scan and print my slides for me a few years ago. Think they still do this, quality was excellent. http://www.photolabs.ie/Contact_Us_Page.HTML

darragh
04-26-2010, 02:43 AM
Try 360-dpi.com out in Dun Laoighaire, they can scan and print

chughtai
05-02-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks Guys -- checked with photolabs and they can scan it but.... for €6.50 per frame!!! that's insane!

I have decided to get Epson v500 instead, which is 189 (inc. delivery) from amazon.co.uk and can scan the 6x12 slides and negatives, just checked the results and i think its the way forward. :)

martinhughesireland
05-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Yes insane maybe but the quality would be superior to what you will get from the V500. Think they use dedicated film scanners not flatbed scanners...

I have the Epson V700 and the quality of the prints I have done from E6 scans dont come close to the prints I got from photolabs to be honest.

If you want to print from scanned colour film on a flatbed scanner I would recommend shooting colour negative film. Slide film doesn't seem to scan as well as modern negative film on a flatbed I have found...

M

chughtai
05-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Yes insane maybe but the quality would be superior to what you will get from the V500. Think they use dedicated film scanners not flatbed scanners...

I have the Epson V700 and the quality of the prints I have done from E6 scans dont come close to the prints I got from photolabs to be honest.

If you want to print from scanned colour film on a flatbed scanner I would recommend shooting colour negative film. Slide film doesn't seem to scan as well as modern negative film on a flatbed I have found...

M

Thanks Marin for the heads up regarding the color negatives. i totally agree with you that photolabs must have dedicated scanners and not the flatbed. :-) -- since i am starting with holga and am in learning phase with film so i am willing to sacrifice the lab-quality to save time and money. :)

MichaelMcGrath
07-08-2010, 10:46 PM
If the 6.50 per frame is for a drum scan , it would be cheap ! If it is for an Imacon scan , it would be about right .
You only get such a scan done for your best shots for exhibtion etc .

And it does take operator time to set your scan up in drum or imacon , an operator being paid probably 16 - 18 Euro an hour by LSL Photolab .

That's why it's so expensive .

I scan my own medium format negatives via Canon 8800F scannner and the quality is excellent , and it's fast on that Canon too , the 8800F is cheaper than the Epsons , every bit as good .

But as a professional lab I can't recommend LSL Photolabs enough , they are simply the best in Ireland .