PDA

View Full Version : vintage tragic newspapers

darinwc
04-26-2010, 12:41 PM
i know this is slightly off topic but..

my mother just gave me a stack of original newspapers from tragic events.
This includes JFK assassination, Robert Kennedy shot, and 5-6 others.
These are all Sacramento Bee.
Does anyone know if these are worth anything, or could I donate them to the local historical society or something?

Stephen Frizza
04-27-2010, 12:28 AM
I dont know but i find this amazing because my family has a whole heap of papers like this, we have multiple Titanic papers (family friend was a survivor), king or englands Death, JFK, Robert kennedy, First man on moon, Elvis Dying, marylin munroe dead, September 11, Pope john paul dying. but my all time favorite was from a land slide where the title went to press to beat the other papers with the news and it reads "Survivor Found Alive"
I saved it because hmmm arnt most survivors round alive?

steven_e007
04-27-2010, 02:10 AM
About 20 years ago the man who lived next door to us where we lived at the time) died. He was a collector of memorabilia. His whole life he had collected all sorts of stuff, magazines, stamps, pictures, photographs (!)... and especially newspapers of significant events.He had copies of the Times for all of the major events throughout WW2 and he had a lot from the 1930s, too. Especially anything to do with Royalty, coronations,Royal deaths and weddings.

Shortly after he died his widow had this huge bonfire in the garden. It took her days to burn everything...

I often wondered what it was all worth? Nothing to her, obviously...

I think the moral is, get it all into a museum or archive, you don't know what will happen to it when other people get their hands on it...

Sirius Glass
04-27-2010, 07:26 PM
I dont know but i find this amazing because my family has a whole heap of papers like this, we have multiple Titanic papers (family friend was a survivor), king or englands Death, JFK, Robert kennedy, First man on moon, Elvis Dying, marylin munroe dead, September 11, Pope john paul dying. but my all time favorite was from a land slide where the title went to press to beat the other papers with the news and it reads "Survivor Found Alive"

Where were the survivors buried?

david James lee
04-27-2010, 07:48 PM
i have a copy of the new york times, sept 12,2001. never read it. i just put it in an acid free bag.

mopar_guy
04-27-2010, 08:13 PM

According to the National Enquirer, Elvis isn't dead yet.:rolleyes:

sun of sand
04-27-2010, 08:45 PM
It ain't likely worth anything. Not really. Maybe if pristine and in the events hometown newspaper or whatever
Extremely old newpaper stories

Youd have every newspaper in the world printing the same shocking headline and you'd think a lot of people would be saving em