PDA

View Full Version : FREE!!! Darkroom chemcial.

Gary892
04-27-2010, 12:18 AM
I bought some used darkroom equipment several years ago and in one of the boxes were some chemicals. They have been stored in my garage and I cannot guarantee the quality.

I have kept them thinking I might use them, but now that I am on the brink of old age I need to lighten the load.

So, if you are working with Cyanotype I have some potassium ferrocyanide for you. It is in crystal form and the crystals are about the size of a large grain of rice. I have 16 ounces to give to you.

Here's the catch.
Because this is a Hazardous waste product, I will not ship it, so local pickup is the only option.
If you have someone local and have them ship it to you that is your decision and not mine, and I will not accept responsibility for that.

I live in Orange County California, and I am willing to meet you.

The only cost to you is your time.

pm me if interested.

Again, for those in the back "I will not Ship" local pickup only.

Gary

2F/2F
04-27-2010, 12:22 AM
Is potassium ferricyanide a "Hazardous waste product"? What is your source of information for this statement?

Cruzingoose
04-27-2010, 12:37 AM
I looked it up. Too bad, I need some. LINKY http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Potassium_ferricyanide-9927405

Gary892
04-27-2010, 01:17 AM
Is potassium ferricyanide a "Hazardous waste product"? What is your source of information for this statement?

My source for my statement is three fold.
1.) my cousin who is a chemical engineer.
2.) a friend who works for Orange County Fire Autority in the Hazmat area.
3.) I looked up the Material Safety Data Sheets online for potassium ferricyanide .

If you can provide authenticated documentation to the contrary, then I am open to amending my statement about Hazardous waste.
However, I still do not want to ship the chemical.

Regards.

Gary

2F/2F
04-27-2010, 01:25 AM
I guess we need to define "Hazardous waste product". It also might be good to find out what the post office says about shipping a "Hazardous waste product", if there is such a thing. The stuff makes it from point A to point B alright somehow. I have received it in the mail without having to do anything fancy.

Mike Wilde
04-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Before you move it off, why not consider using it? Combined with a bit of Potassium Bromide and it makes a classic bleach, the precursor to many bleach and redevelop sepia and other type toners.

It is also used in film intensification as the first step bleach.

The solution can be re-used many times. I presume it is Ferri. Ferro is what Ferri becomes after it has bleached silver.

CBG
04-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Re: Potassium Ferricyanide. Safe when used with the most modest care.

So, just don't eat it; don't drink it; don't combine it with very strong acids; don't breathe it. Other than that, use according to the directions etc and it's fine.

I'm sure someone local to your area can use it. Your business if you do not want to ship it, but most of the chemical suppliers who specialize in bulk chemical supplies retail to photographers sell it and ship it. It is not one of the materials that shippers or DEA are wary of. Pretty tame material. Maybe someone local could get the PF from you and then ship to whoever?

Rick A
04-27-2010, 06:36 PM
The post office will allow you to ship it but it has to go ground transport only, they do not charge extra for that.

DanielStone
04-27-2010, 09:29 PM
gary, I'll take it.

I'm in glendora, just off the 57 and 210 interchange.

-Dan

Gary892
04-28-2010, 02:52 PM
The potasium Ferricyanide is spoken for.

Thanks

Gary

DanielStone
04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
thanks again Gary. It'll get used well.

-Dan