PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid 300 Camera now available

Ektagraphic
05-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Polaroid now offers a "300" camera. Check out their website at Polaroid.com. It looks to me to be just like the fuji instax mini since the camera and its prints look so close. Maybe they have a deal that they have the film and cameras labled Polaroid like all of the other cheap asian electronics with the Polaroid name slapped on them?

Ektagraphic
05-04-2010, 09:42 PM
http://www.polaroid.com/category/0/353899/Classic_Instant

Tori Nelson
05-04-2010, 10:00 PM
The site says it's not available right now but they are taking pre orders.

Darkroom317
05-04-2010, 10:04 PM
What's more interesting to me is the film that is used with it. Is it re-branded fuji?

Ektagraphic
05-04-2010, 10:11 PM
That is what it looks like to me. I will definatly have to order some to figure it out for sure.

tiberiustibz
05-04-2010, 10:27 PM
It has to be fuji. They were the ones who used the through-the-back exposure system (and kodak, but they're gone.) It smells like a ruse to me.

Darkroom317
05-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Truly sad. Off to buy some PX100 :)

nickrapak
05-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Polaroid has done this before. Their Mio camera was an Instax Mini-compatible camera with Polaroid design. In fact, you could probably get a new one of those cheaper than the 300.

wblynch
05-05-2010, 02:59 AM
Maybe it's a marketing partnership, where "Polaroid" will permit Fujifilm to make 600 sized color film in exchange for the 300 camera?

Rodex
05-05-2010, 04:18 AM
They have done a post about the camera on petapixel recently,

http://www.petapixel.com/2010/04/29/polaroid-returns-to-instant-film-game-looking-like-fujifilm/

Ektagraphic
05-05-2010, 05:54 AM
They have done a post about the camera on petapixel recently,

http://www.petapixel.com/2010/04/29/polaroid-returns-to-instant-film-game-looking-like-fujifilm/

That is sick on Polaroid's part.

patois
05-05-2010, 02:49 PM
The British Journal of Photoraphy has an interesting article on Polaroid and Impossible. http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPage.html?page=874462 If I were polaroid right now I'd be worried because Impossible's product seems far away from relative mainstream appeal.

vdonovan
05-05-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm glad that the Instax is getting more marketing, regardless of wether it is through Polaroid or Fuji. It's a great camera and deserves more attention. I take mine to parties and people *love* it.

wblynch
05-05-2010, 03:34 PM
I have been thinking about buying an Instax camera. I just wish the pictures were at least as big as the old Polaroid 600's.

nickrapak
05-05-2010, 08:10 PM
I have been thinking about buying an Instax camera. I just wish the pictures were at least as big as the old Polaroid 600's.

The Instax 210 makes pictures that are actually larger than the 600.

Ektagraphic
05-06-2010, 06:17 AM
Well, I guess I will put an Instax on my christmas list :) I want one but I am not in a rush to pay the money for one.

sv@diycamerakit.com
05-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Too bad Instax camera are just toys with fixed focus and pathetically slow lens. I cannot stand the "dear in the headlights" look coming from a camera with a slow lens and the necessary flash for anything else then sunny outdoors. I wish someone would make a real camera using instax film.

Rodex
05-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Too bad Instax camera are just toys with fixed focus and pathetically slow lens. I cannot stand the "dear in the headlights" look coming from a camera with a slow lens and the necessary flash for anything else then sunny outdoors. I wish someone would make a real camera using instax film.

Agree to that. Instax film has so much more potential.

tiberiustibz
05-06-2010, 09:52 AM

The point of the camera is just that. It's great at parties and family gatherings. It's a look people remember from the days of older polaroid cameras with mandatory flash and fixed focus. The instax actually has 2 focusing settings, one for closer and an infinity setting for outdoor photographs. Plus you can turn the flash off, a major advantage over polaroid 600 (only a few had this capability.) So is it revolutionary? No. Is it a hell of a lot of fun? Yes. Now that polaroid is done people become fascinated to see this crazy technology.

I think that the Impossible project is not mainstream but is rapidly approaching a nice product. They will be constantly revising it for some time to come. This first instant film was more of a "satisfy the shareholders and consumers with a product." Anything is better than nothing.

commanderfun
12-01-2010, 03:31 PM
I like seeing Polaroid putting some effort back into instant film, even if it is simply a rebranded Fuji camera.

I don't think it's officail from Polaroid but there's a funny online campaign for the new 300 camera / Polaroid featuring a zombie...funny stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxcspSjUdnk&feature=related