PDA

View Full Version : B&W printing on ceramics/wood etc

gill6877
05-14-2010, 04:15 AM
Hi
My daughter is taking her A level photography exam soon and was hoping to develop some B&W photos onto ceramic tiles in the darkroom using Fotospeed LE30 Liquid Emulsion. She followed the instructions but when fixing the tile, the print came off. Then tried to print on wood, which fixed ok but came off during washing. Can anyone give her any advice please.

Vaughn
05-14-2010, 04:17 AM
Might try a coat of poly on the tile or wood before coating with the liquid emulsion.

Vaughn

Ian Grant
05-14-2010, 04:26 AM
You need to add a subbing layer of hardened gelatin first or use a hardening fixer. I've coated ceramics & wood etc many times and it's not difficult. Where are you in the UK ?

Ian

darkroomphotography
05-14-2010, 04:27 AM
I agree with Vaughn
You need a coat of a vernish or something like that on the tiles or wood BEFORE you coat the emulsion.
A perfect materials especially for woods is the Arabic gomma or a matt warnish of painting.
Good results
:)

Ian Grant
05-14-2010, 04:28 AM
You don't need to varnish tiles, but you do need to varnish wood.

Ian

gill6877
05-14-2010, 04:43 AM
Many thanks for the quick responses, will try varnishing the tiles first. She is taking her exam on Monday, so think she is going to have a busy weekend in the darkroom!! Oh, and I'm in Northants.

Ian Grant
05-14-2010, 04:53 AM
You need a gelatin subbing layer on the tiles, food gelatin will do but ideally it needs a hardener like chrome alum added but thats not easy to get hold of quickly. You only need a few drops of a 10% solution.

If your local camera shops have a hardening fixer that might do the trick on it's own. For the wood get a can of clear lacquer from Halfords or similar and spray the wood to seal it, let it dry 2-3 hours the rub lightly with 600 grit Wet & Dry to roughen the surface (Halfords again).

Ian

thefizz
05-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Some useful information here on applying liquid emulsion to paper, wood, plastic, tiles etc.

http://www.macodirect.de/download/Rollei_Blackmagic_en.pdf

Jadedoto
05-14-2010, 08:59 AM
I did a similar project for my photo class a month ago. I was making a tile mosaic with prints on it, and I honestly gave up trying to print on tile. Took a 25lb bag of Paster of Paris, spread it thin and shattered it.

paul_c5x4
05-14-2010, 10:31 AM
I was going to say PM me your address and I'll bung some chrome alum & gelatin in the post... But if the exam is on Monday, the stuff probably wouldn't arrive in time.

holmburgers
05-20-2010, 01:17 PM
I just came across this topic while reading an old Photographic Dictionary by E.J. Wall. It's called "hyalography" and he has a procedure for doing it on glass. Involves bitumen IIRC, but I don't know much about alt processes, yet!

This book is very valuable in learning about different chemistry and it's purposes.

JOSarff
05-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Gill:

I found this years ago, and I believe it may help.

All the best,

Joe