PDA

View Full Version : Safety concerns with old developer?

PotomacEscrap
05-17-2010, 11:22 AM
I am in the business of electronics recycling but we also liquidate large collections when there are mostly electronics involved. We have a large amount of unused photographic processing chemicals. I am specifically looking at Kodak P-122 developing chemicals. There are three unopened bottles, A is a liquid and B and C are powders. Both of the powders are solid. Now I'm sure there are collectors that would buy just the bottles as a neat addition to a collection but I am not sure if these would be sought by someone still tinkering with older techniques? Are these chemicals safe? Could they still be used? What concerns should I have reselling them?

I really have no clue about these types of chemicals. There are also a lot of rules about shipping hazardous materials via USPS or UPS. Any information you could provide would be appreciated greatly. Thanks, Thory

You can reach me in the office at 571-292-5772

Jeff Searust
05-17-2010, 11:37 AM
This is part of a Kodak formalin fixing process. You may want to read the Kodak brochure on discontinued chemistry:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/documents/7e/0900688a802e3e7e/KES110ENG.pdf

Since this chemistry contains formaldehyde, you may have a serious mess on your hands.

domaz
05-17-2010, 11:52 AM
You won't have any collectors wanting to buy old formalin. That stuff is nasty! Call a toxic waste disposal company immediately!

Mike Wilde
05-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Why not buy old formalin - how is it ever to go off?

All things need persepctive. I do alt process, and the gelatine made up and stored before actually coating is preserved with a small dose of formalin. A little goes a long way. 20ml per litre, and it causes cross linking to harden the gelatine as well as preserving it.

Back in 2004 I bought a 1L bottle for formalin, and have maybe used 60mL to date. It is only openned under the exhaust hood, and is stored on a high shelf and is well labelled.

All photochemicals I keep in the house I have MSDS print outs for. The binder sits outside of the darkroom, and I have explained to my wife what it is and how the information is organised.

She has a certificate in Occupational Health and Safety Sytems, and has a perspective on what the risks of my hobby are.

She understand when at times she knocks on the darkroom door (the fan of the fume hood makes it hard to be heard talking though the door), and I answer after putting the caps on the chems of concern, wearing a lab coat, nitrile gloves, closed toe shoes, and a respirator with filter pads, and a full face mask that I am doing the right thing.

I suppose it helps too that she and her friends love the hand made soaps that I make, and that entials buying hydroxide 50kg at a time.