PDA

View Full Version : Denver Art Museum - Exposure: Photos from the Vault

toro_mike
05-27-2010, 09:22 AM
For those in the Denver area who do not know yet. The Denver Art Museum is running an exhibition of photographs...

Here is the link to their website exhibition page. (http://www.denverartmuseum.org/explore_art/temporaryExhibitionDetails/exhibitionId--193649/exhibitionType--Current) I haven't seen it yet, but definitely plan to!

Here is the description:

On view through October 31, 2010

Dive into the depths of our photography collection in Exposure: Photos from the Vault. Featuring more than 50 photographs—including many works that are on view at the DAM for the first time—the photography department's premier exhibition includes iconic images by Ansel Adams, Diane Arbus, Chuck Close, and Garry Winogrand alongside recent acquisitions by Petah Coyne, Shirin Neshat, and others.

Exposure is located in the new Anthony and Delisa Mayer Photography Gallery on level seven of the North Building.

If anybody went already, let us all know how it was!

Mike

enitka
05-31-2010, 10:18 AM
The exhibit is mildly interesting. The size devoted to exhibiting photography is paltry in my opinion - not sure it really shows DAM/s commitment to photography. I think one can see more/better photography at the private gallery Camera Obscura down the street. I went to the curator's talk a couple of weeks ago and was not that impressed. When an audience member asked what his criteria were or would be for selection he gave a real off the cuff remark - not what I would expect from a curator. The exhibit is a must see but we'll see if it blossoms. They do have an upcoming exhibit by Robert Adams which looks to be very exciting

toro_mike
06-02-2010, 04:48 PM
The exhibit is mildly interesting. The size devoted to exhibiting photography is paltry in my opinion - not sure it really shows DAM/s commitment to photography. I think one can see more/better photography at the private gallery Camera Obscura down the street. I went to the curator's talk a couple of weeks ago and was not that impressed. When an audience member asked what his criteria were or would be for selection he gave a real off the cuff remark - not what I would expect from a curator. The exhibit is a must see but we'll see if it blossoms. They do have an upcoming exhibit by Robert Adams which looks to be very exciting

Thanks for the review enitka. Interesting... Well, if they get a lot of interest, maybe the will take it more seriously. One can always hope.

Thanks again!
Mike