PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 20 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16

kraker
08-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Two more received since my last update:

KWhitmore, "Old Friends". I like this a lot. Great textures of the wood, the special "glow" of the metal, the composition. And the special "dye instead of grain" look of XP2 Super. Lovely. Thanks also for your comments on my card.
markrewald, fountain detail. Nice shot and print.

It's so nice to get home and find yet another postcard in the mail. Hoping to get a few more, but it's a great round already.

mike c
08-19-2010, 07:29 PM
One card form a gal in frozen Montana,beautiful river and frozen shore with leafless trees in background. Thanks Lori.

drpsilver
08-20-2010, 12:44 AM
19 Aug 2010

Two cards came this week. One from KWhitmore of a sculpture on a hill in Lachine. I can imagine all sorts of abstract compositions that could be made. I really like the tonal range of this photo. Maybe I have to give Arcos another try. Katherine, thank you for your comment on my card.

The other card is from djhopscotch of a very familiar place. I like how you used IR to add contrast to the rock, and it is sharp without grain. I should try the Rollie IR film a try (stopped shooting IR with the demise of HIE). Is the R72 filter a "really deep red" or a "IR" filter?

Thanks for the nice cards.

Regards,
Darwin

Alex Bishop-Thorpe
08-20-2010, 05:45 AM
More postcards!

Allen Friday - All of the postcards go to my PO Box, but I only get up to the post office every few days. Usually I walk up to the post office, grab the mail and then wander across the road and up to my bus stop, to head into university. So when I get postcards I have something to read and look while while I wait for my bus - it's a good system. When I got your postcard I was looking at it as I walked to my bus stop and nearly walked into a tree. Fantastically printed, a great range of tones and detail, and a wonderful sense of depth. You can be damn proud of this photo.

Mike Rewald - Perfect composition and very well printed - a nice deep black, a nice clean white and everything in between. I like the black of the edges of the 35mm frame too, it's something I dont see much of and it really works for this photo. Makes me want to go for a wander through the park.

Katherine (kwhitmore) - The K1000! I always loved full manual cameras. I've used a lot of different 35mm bodies and always come back to the Nikon FM2n, so don't let anyone convince you that you need to upgrade.
I love the print too, it feels quite familar. Adelaide has a bit of contemporary art scattered around in obscure places, but it always comes off as very forced. Not in Quebec, it seems - in your case it feels like part of the environment. I quite fancy the trees, too. Another park for me to wander through...

Johannes (labcoat) - I do love ducks, and this is a wonderfully quirky photo. I dont often hear of people using the 135mm Tele-Elmar lens, but clearly it's needlessly neglected. Fantastic silky feeling, and a great deal of detail - you can pick out all the feathers of the chap on the right. One of my favorites of this exchange. More duck photos, guys, come on.

and of course, Stephen Frizza - I was wondering what you'd come up with for this exchange ;) Quite lovely presentation too, I get one or two postcards in envelopes, but you've been the first to include a nice piece of cardboard to stiffen it. Here in Adelaide we had the Chromacolour lab, run by a very nice gentleman who was friendly enough to show me around the place. This was after I stood in his showroom for about 20 minutes looking through all of the framed ilfochromes on the wall...The lab closed down earlier this year due to a lack of business, but when I talked to him he mentioned someone in sydney was doing small runs of it. I wonder now if he meant you. I never got to have any printed for myself, but my mum loved the process, it was her dream to have her kodachromes printed up as Cibachromes.
Anyway, enough about the process, it's easy to get caught up in technical things and not talk about the photo part of photography. Also I tend I rabbit on a bit.
It's got a tremendous feeling of warmth, a glow from inside. Wonderful tender colours - unlike anything I've ever seen in a photo. There's a great deal of detail and it hasn't become washed out in the highlight areas. Clearly a masterful printing. I wasn't certain I'd be able to make out the inscription in the glass at the base, but it's there and perfectly readable.
A brilliant photo, plain and simple.

Stephen Frizza
08-20-2010, 07:37 AM
I don't do small runs of ilfochrome, we have a 50" processor and need to run a lot of it to keep the chemistry online. Ilfochrome is alive and well here in Sydney. It's such a shame chromacolour is now closed as the prints that came out of that lab were world class. I'm glad you liked the post card. I thought the stain glass window was suitable most suitable for ilfochrome. I'de love to print your mums kodachromes convince her to send them to me :-p.

ozphoto
08-21-2010, 12:17 AM
Hi all,

I'm sure that your cards are still rolling in to my home in TH; I'm currently in AU on business, but I have been readily informed that your cards are arriving.
Will comment when I head back in a few weeks. :)

Roger Thoms
08-22-2010, 12:56 AM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that despite my tardiness I will send out postcards. I work construction and my current job is 75 miles from home plus we are working 6 9's. I'm also printing and framing for a group show I'm in that has to be delivered on September 1st. As soon as my work is delivered, I'll print my postcards and get them out ASAP.

I continue to receive very nice cards and will comment on them when things settle down a little bit.

Roger

RTMoynihan
08-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Just arrived home from holiday to three lovely postcards, one from Lorifrommontana of a beautiful lake scene another from Mark Rewald of a seriously scary looking fountain and a final wonderfully old stylie battle scene from crispin
cheers guys

Laurent
08-24-2010, 01:31 PM
I received Stephen Frizza's Masonic Window Sidney City today ! This is one of the few color wards I received, and the print is amazing ! Thanks for this, Stephen ! (Note that I also like your card for the Lighthouse)

hwv
08-24-2010, 01:42 PM
I've received 5 postcard while I was on holiday:
crispin: I like the way your photo shows how exhausted those soldiers are after their battle
Allen Friday: Nice landscape, printed in upright format. I love the aerial perspective
Mark Rewald: Well seen, it fits.
lorirfrommontana: Like the mirroring of the trees in the water
kwhitmore: I love those kind of subjects. Beautiful illumination! Excellent shades of gray! I also like the gloss of this kentmere vc select.

trotkiller
08-24-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm sorry to say that I will be reprinting my postcards, really unhappy with what I printed.

I will do my best to have them in then mail in the next 4 weeks.

Sorry all
Jeff

mooseontheloose
08-25-2010, 05:18 AM
Well, I'm finally back after two weeks in the Philippines where I:

- fell down head over heels on the narrow steps of the Banaue rice fields and busted my knee (and was saved from going over the edge, about a 5m drop, by my quick-thinking guide).
- witnessed a major landslide as it happened -- nearly escaped being caught in it (but hopefully have some good photos to show for it!)
- travelled by bus to Baguio via the same route that another bus did the previous day where the brakes failed and the bus went into the ravine killing 41 people
- left Manila the day before an ex-policeman hijacked a bus, killing several tourists

...and all I can say is I feel pretty lucky and it's good to be home!;)

Was very excited to see 5 more cards waiting for me:

- two very calm river landscapes by Lori Ryan and Allen Friday
- interesting sculpture amongst the trees by KWhitmore
- Mark Rewald's close-up view of the Pioneer Monument and Fountain
- ignatiu5's "ascend", which begs the question of those in descent...

Can't believe this round is almost over! Thanks everyone for the cards received so far...and if you haven't received one from me by now, please let me know!

mike c
08-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Sounds like a very interesting vacation Rachelle,you can write a book about it ,with pictures.
Mike

mooseontheloose
08-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks Mike -- let's hope that there are a few keepers out of what I took (which is not much, the least I've ever shot while travelling...). Who knows - they might show up in a future exchange!?

Laurent
08-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Glad to learn you're safe, Rachelle ! You seem to find interesting places and times for tourism !!

Today I received two cards :

LoriFromMontana's Bozeman view. I really like winter scenes, and this one is very peaceful !

An IR view from Yosemite from a fellow APUGer whose name I can't read. Yosemite is one of the places I dream I'll visit some day, and this shot can only feed the dream ! The composition is great, very well printed, one of my favourites for this round !

ozphoto
08-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Hey Rachelle,

Good to hear you are ok!
Look forward to seeing some of the images in a future exchange?

drpsilver
08-26-2010, 01:41 AM
25 Aug 2010

Rachelle:

What an adventure. I am glad to hear that you got back to Japan safely, a bit beaten-up, but safe. Hope you got same good images for your efforts.

Regards,
Darwin

Alex Bishop-Thorpe
08-26-2010, 03:45 AM
I hope whoever sent me this amazing view of Yosemite can chime in, because sadly I can't quite make out your signature. Someone postmarked from San Francisco, and they sure as hell know how to use IR film...
I didn't even notice the glow of the trees at first, but the falls above have a real amazing tonality. Knowing how many photographers have planted their tripods in Yosemite, this is a real original take on an old subject, for me. I love it.

Lori's postcard arrived too (lorifrommontana) - for a snowey scene, I really do find this pretty inviting. Somewhere I'd like to have a wander. I like the little bit of shimmer the water has, to the left of the scene. A lovely composition, and reminds me of my time spent in Alaska, and the nip of the cold in the air.

djhopscotch
08-26-2010, 11:02 AM
The Yosemite one is mine, i knew i forgot to put something on the card, my printed name. Glad you like it.

Laurent
08-26-2010, 01:39 PM
The Yosemite one is mine, i knew i forgot to put something on the card, my printed name. Glad you like it.

I definitely loved it, thanks for unveiling your identity !!