PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 20 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

OMU
09-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Sorry to say, I'm late this time. Hoping to make mine in the weekend.

david James lee
09-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Katherine, i received your postcard last week. when my son saw it he said: "look dad,this is exactly the way you like to make pictures". he is right, i love your photograph.thanks for your comments on mine.

Stephen Frizza
09-06-2010, 09:02 PM
I received a post card from VALERIE today. It is Stunningly crisp! What a shame the building is being demolished. If the post card is anything to judge by you have certainly done this building justice in documenting it before its destruction. Thanks for the post card, Like always your work is impeccable.

MattKing
09-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I’ve previously commented on 20 cards received from other APUGers. Another one came in late last week:

Tim Gray - “Sutton Dam” - Another very fine example of the quality and character of HIE - a film that I have never used, and never really started appreciating until I began to participate in APUG exchanges. I wouldn’t have thought to use IR film for a scene like this Tim - I’m glad you did! It is also very well printed.

21 down, 7 to go!

Thanks to everyone for participating.

kraker
09-07-2010, 01:47 AM
Last week, I received Stephen Frizza's Ilfochrome postcard. In one word: stunning. Great detail, sharp, well chosen subject, and a very good print. This made me realise once more how much I like the look of Ilfochrome. If I only had more room, I would buy a 2nd-hand tabletop Cibachrome processor. But even if I don't, I'm going to give Ilfochrome another try soon. Thanks a bunch, Steve!

Laurent
09-07-2010, 02:12 AM
I received Valerie's Peden Iron & Steel Warehouse yesterday. Very nice contact of a 4x5 negative, I like contacts ! The perspective is nice, as well as the feeling of dereliction from the old building. Thanks Valerie !

drpsilver
09-07-2010, 10:00 AM
07 Sept 2010

Two cards came in over the past two weeks.

Valerie's photo of Peden Iron & Steel is nicely done. Very sharp and well composed. You did a great job documenting the building. Sad that it will be demolished. Did you get a chance to photograph inside? That would have been really cool!:cool:

The Ilfochrome form Stephen Frizza is stunning. I have not seen a print so vibrant in a very long time. (Probably since the only lab around the did Ilfochrome "went under" 10 years ago.) I also love in inscription. Very well done!:) I wish you lived closer so I could have you print my transparencies.:(

Regards,
Darwin

hwv
09-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Two more arrived during the last two weeks:

Tim GraySutton Dam Infrared. Beautiful. A picture I would like to see printed really big
Stephen Frizza Ilfochrome - the only colored card I got. I like Ilfochromes

18 of 25 arrived yet
I'm looking forward for round #21

Here is the location where I took the photo I sent:
http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=texel&sll=51.151786,10.415039&sspn=20.697059,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Texel,+Nordholland,+Niederlande&ll=53.038699,4.848238&spn=0.001208,0.002411&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.038872,4.848729&panoid=2IeXVFDKUdvm1-Dv6uqXEA&cbp=12,230.04,,0,5
Maybe for those who are still guessing what's shown this hint is useful.

Alex Bishop-Thorpe
09-09-2010, 01:59 AM
More postcards - it's slowed to a few a week now.

Valerie's Peden Iron and Steel Warehouse - I always appreciate 4x5" contact prints in these exchanges, just for the commitment to print a bunch of them. Urban wasteland/urban decay is kind of a classic theme in black and white photography today, but not usually this well executed. A lovely crisp image with a creat deal of depth, and really wonderful composition. I like the windows best.

Tim Gray's Sutton Dam - I actually received this last week and put it aside until I had a few more to comment on, so it's been sitting on my dresser for a few days and I've found myself looking at it pretty much every morning. I've got some HIE in the freezer (Many thanks to Stephen for that one) and this is a really fantastic example of what the film is best at - lovely everyday scenes that could do with a dose of the mysterious. Brilliant glow in the highlights, but a really subtle effect overall. Abrupt Infrared effects are kind of old hat, and rarely well executed (myself included, heh...), but this is really quite a delicate scene. I really dig it.

Aron, "The mind is kept in it's own prison..." - First of all, I'm impressed that this made it to me in such fine condition, considering how thin the paper seems to be. I never experienced the Forte papers, but it has a really lovely finish. A myserious photograph! I like the spiral wrapped around the poles, out of focus, in the foreground. A simple but really intriguing composition...it makes me a little uncomfortable, the more you look at it the more you get a creeping trapped feeling. A great example of how you can do a lot with a little, a good lesson for any of us.

mooseontheloose
09-09-2010, 04:32 AM
Aron, your card arrived in the mail for me today too. Like Fleath, I'm impressed that it made it (with a few creases to be sure, but nothing serious) all the way to Japan, considering how thin the paper is! I like the ambiguity of the subject, and that blurred pole in the center seems to be hiding something menacing behind it. I don't know if I could make it to the top of the stairs. ;-) Thanks.

mooseontheloose
09-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Aron, I just noticed that you are not on my list! That makes the extra card a nice surprise. Thanks.

drpsilver
09-10-2010, 01:44 AM
09 Sept 2010

Received a card from Aron. I like how the image is supported by the quote on the card. The symmetrical composition make for even a stronger "prison". It is indeed a mysterious image. Unfortunately the US Postal Service "did a job" on your card. I arrived creased in 3 places and ripped on the right side. I am impressed that a single weight paper survived a journey through the postal system so well. (Note: It looks like this paper has fogged. The boarders show tone.)

Thanks for a thoughtful card.

Regards,
Darwin

Kevin Kehler
09-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Stephen Frizza's card arrived today, magnificent! Makes me wish I could have that kind of processing in my little darkroom as the colour and detail is phenomenal.

Stephen Frizza
09-11-2010, 05:56 AM
Stephen Frizza's card arrived today, magnificent! Makes me wish I could have that kind of processing in my little darkroom as the colour and detail is phenomenal.

You can! Ilfochrome really isn't a hard process! Give it a go and help keep it alive!

crispinuk
09-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks to everyone who sent me cards this round. Sorry I haven't had time to comment on them individually, suffice to say that everyone one of them is much appreciated.
Thanks also for the kind comments on my card. I'd wanted to use this image for a while but had lost the negs (easily done with Minox negs ;) ). Anyway I came across the negs while having a clear out. A couple of you have commented on the soft border, this was slightly serendipitous as I initially tried printing it 'full bleed' but the 6x4 postcard ratio meant that too much of the top and bottom of the 8x11 neg got chopped off and it lost too much detail and looked cramped. When I was re-focussing the enlarger with the smaller full frame image I realised that the soft borders gave it more of a 'time tunnel' look so I did away with a masking easel.

Crispin

Pete H
09-12-2010, 03:36 AM
I'm catching up on 3 weeks of travelling, and some great cards when I got home.
:) In no particular order, thanks to

Stephen Frizza: glowing colours, and beautifully presented. Being used to old European cathedrals, I find it quite strange to see modern, secular dress in a stained glass window. It's always good to have one's preconceptions challenged!
KWhitmore: I like the curve of the hillside and shadows leading up to the sculpture. Thanks for the comment too, Katherine.
Mark Rewald: There's always a comparison between the structure and simplicity of man-made objects and the complexity of nature, like the water flow and foam here.
Lorifrommontana: That feels cold! I hope the move goes well.
Wayne Frederick: Some rich textures. It's very peaceful, and you can only imagine what it looked like at the time ...
djhopscotch: Wow, what a place. The IR really works here.
Tim Gray: Shame that HIE is gone, but you're lucky (or well-organised!) to have a stash. Is it a double dam? - looks as if you're standing on one dam and shooting another.
Valerie: You can't beat contact prints for detail and tonality. It's amazing how quickly nature takes over old buildings.
Aron: The bars are preventing me from escaping up to the light. Very well done, and I also like the paper.

Thanks all!

Pete

Laurent
09-13-2010, 02:19 AM
I received Aron's "The mind is kept in it's own prison..." last week, and as some already said, I'm impressed by the very good condition of the card when it arrived, especially considering the rather large format for a post card, and the thin paper... The bars in the foreground make the atmosphere almost oppressive, I really like the image !

I too like the aspect of the paper.

Thanks Aron !

Laurent

ozphoto
09-14-2010, 03:44 AM
Well, back in Bangkok to find a postcard from Mark Rewald waiting for me!

Samad Asad
09-16-2010, 03:42 AM
:)

My cards are drying on the rack, should be in the mail by this weekend. Till then, sorry for the delay.

Stephen Frizza
09-20-2010, 11:53 PM
I Just Received a postcard from Gordrob moving that church back in 1922 must have been quite an engineering feat. cool story and nice post card. how big was the town when it was in full operation do you know?