PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 20 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16

gordrob
09-21-2010, 03:01 AM
Hi Stephen
Postal service to Australia is faster than I thought. I was invited to a wedding that took place on theses steps and have gone back there a couple of times because it is such a neat place. Our son is also named after a family friend of my wife's parents that was born in the town. Here is a link to explain more about Bankhead. The info on the church move is not accurate but most of the rest is. There are a lot of interesting foundations etc left to shoot - since it is in a national park the remnants have been left untouched for years Hope you enjoy.

http://www.ghosttowns.com/canada/alberta/bankhead.html

Gord

Roger Thoms
09-24-2010, 07:25 PM
I posted my cards today, sorry for the delay. I have numerous excuses but realized that they were just a bunch of "Bull" so I won't bore you. Anyway thanks for everyone's patience and thanks for all the great cards I have received thus far.

Roger

Laurent
09-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Sometime during this week, I received gordrob's Church Stairs. The view of these stairs going to nowhere is quite strange ! The stairs give a rythm to the composition that I really like !

Pete H
09-26-2010, 02:46 AM
I also received Gordrob's stairs last week. Agree with Laurent about the composition, and I'm jealous that you've still got some Ilford Cooltone developer. :)

Thanks
Pete

Stephen Frizza
09-27-2010, 03:10 AM
I just received a post card from Mick Fagan of a Kenyan lady. Beautiful portrait Mick. The look the woman is giving, the lighting and composition is really well done and the printing is spot on.

ozphoto
09-27-2010, 03:26 AM
If anyone on my list didn't receive a card - let me know and I'll drop in the post asap for you. :)

Laurent
09-27-2010, 08:10 AM
I received Ruediger's Volkswagen detail today. I love details, and this one, very abstract, is quite nice. Thanks !

ozphoto
09-28-2010, 04:21 AM
Received Ruediger's card in the post today - brought back memories of my Superbug before I traded upwards to my 356A.

paul_c5x4
09-28-2010, 08:44 AM
I have numerous excuses but realized that they were just a bunch of "Bull" so I won't bore you.

Had to look at the map to see where the Pinnacles NM was (I seem to recall a similar named range further north). Nice slice of bull though :)

Thankyou for the card Roger.

hwv
09-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Got two last week:
rst:nice detail of a Käfer aka beatle. I like the curve of repetition of the slots melting until blurring.
rtbadman:model with beautiful eyes looking straight into the camera. Good separation of the dark tones. Maybe I should try selenium as toner too.

ozphoto
09-29-2010, 01:16 AM
Well this round is almost over. I have received 18 of my 25 cards.
The only ones I've yet to receive:

KWhitmore
Samad Asad
lorirfrommontana
Allen Friday
Stephen Frizza
Tim Gray
Roger Bulcock

Looking forward to the next round! :cool:

Stephen Frizza
09-29-2010, 02:17 AM
Well this round is almost over. I have received 18 of my 25 cards.
The only ones I've yet to receive:

Katherine
Samad
Lori
Alan
Stephen
Tim
Roger

Looking forward to the next round! :cool:

When you say Stephen are you referring to my postcard? as I have sent out all of mine. any problems let me know. has anyone else not received my post card?

ozphoto
09-29-2010, 03:02 AM
Sorry Stephen, yes haven't seen your oft-praised Ilfochrome. :(

Black Dog
09-29-2010, 06:25 AM
Anyone not recieved one from me who was meant to BTW?

mooseontheloose
09-29-2010, 09:22 AM
As one round ends, another begins...

But there's still life yet!

Another postcard that reminds me of a piano just arrived -- thanks Rudiger for the nice crisp detail of a VW bug.
Also received gordrob's "church stairs" - a sad, but interesting monument to the past.

And a big thank you to Kraker, who was not on my list, but sent me a beautiful infrared postcard anyway. Thanks so much Jacco!

gordrob
09-29-2010, 11:26 AM
I received an envelope form Australia last week with a piece of cardboard inside. Any chance there should have been a postcard in there too.
No return address on the hand addressed envelope so i am not sure who it is from.
Gord

Aron
09-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Thank you all for the comments on my card. The paper I printed on was from the '70s and this is why it's fogged. I'd have prefered to send double weight cards instead of single weight ones, but I wanted to liquidate some of my stash of this paper and also I was quite familiar with it.

Next round I'll print on fresh double weight paper!

BTW, for those who are interested, Forte Bromofort was one of the two standard papers of Forte before the '90s (the other was Fortezzo, faster and warm toned). It can be considered as a graded version of Polygrade which itself is the cold variant of the well-known Polywarmtone.

In no particular order:

Crispin: I liked the atmosphere, I could just turn on my left and start walking with the soldiers.
Alex: A lovely print on a nice paper, I received No. 35/70. I like very much how the rather static composition comes to life with the lines of Chantal's right arm and the traffic crossing each other. There is something sincer, undoubtly human in her gesture, which the traffic definitely lacks.
Mick: A completely different card compared to the one you sent me the previous round. It got me thinking what up there is. I like the tonality of her hair.
Darwin: An interesting photo for sure, and nice composition.
Slumry: At first look I thought your card was a still-life on four paprikas. After reading the title, I realised they are teeth. I'll be more careful with mine from now on.
Pete: A nice pinhole portrait, also, the background is quite sharp.
Photojim: The detail on this photo is quite amazing. Also, I like the slightly unusual (for these subjects) portrait format.
Mark: I like the tonality of this photo and the fact this beast's head is rather live.
Lori: I like the atmosphere of this half-natural landscape, although I might have printed it somewhat lighter and higher in contrast to render the snow a bit more punchy.
Laurent: Simple, good composition, very nice tones. I found great joy looking at all the rivets, finding out none of them retained their original form.
Steve: Your 5x7 in card was the first to arrive in my mailbox. I like the tones here, too. Your photograph brought me back my memories of using Fomapan 200, which I also used to shoot quite a lot.
Lillian: An exciting cyanotype print! I like the simple idea of tea-toning, after receiving your print I couldn't help trying to tea-tone myself, too.
Tim: Again an interesting, nonetheless somewhat frightening picture. I like how the dark sky and water frame the dam.

Rachelle: I'm happy you liked the card. I printed an extra in case something would have gone wrong during processing, but as a surprise all turned out OK more-or-less, so decided, why not post also the extra card…

Apologies for the late feedback.

I would like to thank you all for this great round, No. 20. Already looking forward to Round No. 21.

drpsilver
10-01-2010, 02:54 AM
30 Sept 2010

Three cards were uncovered when I cleaned-off my desk.

I like gordrob's card of stairs into thin air. This image has a lot of stories to tell. This town, or what is left of it, must be a neat place to photograph.

The detail in rtbadman's photo is wonderful. The unsharp background creates some depth to the photo.

The close-up of a VW by rst is simple in composition, but gives the viewer lots to look at, and look for. Lots of things can be imagined in this photo.

Thanks for sharing your work. It is a joy to find Postcards Exchange photos in the mailbox!:) Now let Round #21 begin.

Regards,
Darwin

Laurent
10-01-2010, 08:35 AM
I received rtbadman's bull yesterday. The richness of the blacks is incredible, and the unsharp background makes the bull "stand-up" in the foreground !

The eye contact is also really amazing !

MattKing
10-01-2010, 01:46 PM
I’ve previously commented on 21 cards received from other APUGers. I finally realized that I’ve actually received and commented on two different cards from one APUGer (thanks Darwin). Another two cards have come in the last few days:

rst - “Volkswagen - Detail” - I always like a nice repeating pattern. This one is both intriguing and somehow calming. I’m also entertained by the fact that the postal service seems to like it as well - they’ve added a complementary barcode, in orange, that mirrors the scene.
rtbadman - nice bull! :)

This means that I’ve received cards from 22 APUGers and still await cards from six others (gr82bart; mckenna; Patrick Latour; Roger Bulcock; Samad Asad; trotkiller)

Thanks to everyone for participating.