PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 20 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Alex Bishop-Thorpe
06-16-2010, 04:18 AM
I got mine from Rachelle (mooseontheloose) just this morning - that's some dang fast mail on Japan's part. I dig the little photographer-guy, and really like how you've printed it. Very nice quiet borders. It's stuck on my whiteboard.

mooseontheloose
06-16-2010, 05:41 AM
Thanks Alex.

I really liked the entire shrine area -- there's nearly a thousand statues, all carved by amateurs, ranging from surfer dudes to sax players, to a couple of guys sharing a bottle of sake. Unfortunately when I arrived there it was already getting on the afternoon, and being a shaded area full of trees and moss, I didn't have much light to play with, but I'm really happy with the photos I got. Hopefully I'll be able to go there again whenever I get a chance to make it back to Kyoto. The monk who runs the place also makes his own music (very zen) and sells it at the front gate. A bit of a hippie kind of place overall.

That being said, I almost stepped on the biggest snake I had ever seen in my life (at least five feet long) hanging out amongst the statues. It did not hang around for pictures (and neither did I after that!). ;)

Oxleyroad
06-16-2010, 07:51 AM
Mick, Yours titled 'Nancy' arrived today and it is my first. I hope mine is up to your level.

I have to wait until I get back from OS (12th July) before I will be able to get stuck into printing my cards for every one. Who kows the image I have selected for the cards might change after this trip to Michigan.

Mick Fagan
06-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Andy, that postcard is on old one I did a few exchanges ago. Some of the Australian people in this exchange are also in the Australian print exchange.

The Australian print exchange people on my list are getting an 8x10 version of the round 20 postcard exchange, but an earlier postcard exchange print left over. Couldn't have you lot getting two from the same negative, then bagging me:D

Mick.

ozphoto
06-17-2010, 06:51 AM
Mine got dropped in the mail today, so 20 cards are on their way to various parts of the globe!
Wonder if Thailand Post will be as efficient as Rachelle's Japan Post? ;)

Mike Wilde
06-17-2010, 01:55 PM
It's hard to see these nice comments float around, and realise that I am not in on this round. It is the first round I have sat out since way back in R11

I have printed a set of images in the past month, with an aim to include them in the next round I enter with my multiple batches of images. I did feel better sending out a set of three at once last round, and this is the resulting image hang over, if you will.

By the time next round comes up should have a summer vacations worth of new negatives to draw from.

This past month I have been busy with a training course running 8-5 every saturday, in addition to working the regular hours monday to friday, combined with a flurry of birthday parties to ferry my two kids to. The weeks running up to school finishing for the summer here always brings a rush of these socal events for those who have a birthday that falls over the school break.

mike c
06-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Mike are you a Marathon runner,9hrs in one day is way a lot.

Mike Wilde
06-18-2010, 08:32 AM
No, not running, literally. Actually a course in preparation for writing my Project Management Professional exam. Lots to read every week, and a good 9 hour session of your mind being very engaged in interacting with the instructor and other class participants. It is like I would imagine a grad school seminar to be like. Everyone has something useful to contribute, has experience in the field, and all want to be there and do well. So different than some of my long ago undergrad classes.

aluk
06-18-2010, 10:47 AM
The cards for the Canadians, Australians, and Americans on my list went out yesterday, but then I ran out of stamps... Postcards for the rest of the world will go out either later today or (more likely) on Monday.

rst
06-18-2010, 11:21 AM
This time I will not loose track, so I have three cards to report:

mike c Wonderful tones, superb.
Mick Fagan I like it Mick, great high key.
Dave Martiny Nice street scene. Good.

And I have to report about one postcard my daughter received so far:

mooseontheloose The Zen Photographer - she likes it very much and I like it too. I hoped to find the same in the mailbox addressed to me ... but there was none. :(

I hope to be in the darkroom printing postcards next week. I already settled on a negative. So the hardest part is done :)

Cheers
Ruediger

mooseontheloose
06-18-2010, 07:05 PM
mooseontheloose The Zen Photographer - she likes it very much and I like it too. I hoped to find the same in the mailbox addressed to me ... but there was none.

Ruediger,

That's very strange, as I mailed all the cards at the same time. Hopefully it shows up sooner rather than later -- please let me know!

mike c
06-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Mike Fagan's card ,like the way the back ground light warps around the neck and face,was there a fill light for the eyes? really nice photo of a beautiful face.
Mike

Dave Martiny
06-19-2010, 12:54 AM
Mick Fagan -- Your card has motivated me to try some high key portraits.

Rachelle -- The tight crop and great tonality add qualities of a great photograph to the already visually appealing statue.

Thanks and regards,

Dave

hwv
06-19-2010, 01:24 PM
This is my first participation in postcard exchange. Got my first card yesterday from Mick Fagan. A very nice picture of a beautiful model, taken from an unusual angle of view. Nearly symmetrical. I like it very much.
So, the farthest away (16527.725 km), the first received.

I'm looking forward for the next ones.

So far, I've just cut 4 sheets of paper into 32 postcards. Tomorrow I will print the picture I've chosen.

hwv

Laurent
06-20-2010, 03:21 AM
Well, looks I'm a bit late in commenting the cards received so far...

Here they are :
Dave Martiny's street sweeper : wonderful subject, great composition, nicely printed... I love it ! (My wife's first word after seeing it was : Waow !)

Mike C's Clamming at Sunset : the back lighting and sunset make it almost abstract, but I can feel the mood ! I love these moments on the deserted beach !

Paul C's Weybourne signal box : the card has been a bit marred in the transport, but the image is untouched and it adds to it IMO. Great details and composition, it's a very good document about this place !

Thanks to you three !!

Mick Fagan
06-20-2010, 03:28 AM
I also have received Rachelle's card, quite a nice little carving there, very nice presentation and the cropping (if any) suits the subject well.

HWV, if my card was the first you have received in a postcard exchange, then look out for the rest. Yes I suppose Aachen is about that distance from my front door.

For those wishing to know, the model was sitting on her dining table, there was a 500W Photoflood on the back wall, there were two 250W Photoflood lights either side of her, positioned about 10 in front and equidistant, there was no catchlight for the eyes.

Mick.

Alex Bishop-Thorpe
06-21-2010, 05:58 AM
Got Mick's this morning, just a lovely portrait and very nicely printed. It's proudly stuck with a magnet next to Rachelle's zen photographer on my whiteboard...

mooseontheloose
06-21-2010, 06:53 AM
Well, the exchange has started off with a bang -- my first day and I get three cards! Mick Fagan's lovely high key portrait, Mike Clark's "clamming at sunset", and Dave Martiny's "street sweeper". I like the angle of view in Mick's portrait, the silouettes in Mike's image, and the repeating lines in Dave's photo. For some reason they work well when grouped together -- all these pictures of people, none of whom are looking at the camera, but all of whom provide an interesting subject. Thanks guys.

And just a note to the comments about my card -- there's very little cropping (a little, to get rid of distracting plants around the frame) and just a slight enlargement to make it larger than a contact print. The statues were very close together -- between 10-20 in a row, all side by side, with maybe a foot and a half of space between rows. It was very awkward to get in there and get a good field of view without getting other statues in the picture, or being too close too subject and thus out of focus. Luckily the photographer was in a place with good light, so that helped.

ozphoto
06-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Got my second card for the round from Fleath; ah yes public transport in Adelaide - remember it well. ;)
Great feel - Morphett Street Bridge?? And on my favourite paper also - missing the darkroom terribly here in BKK.

Looking forward to more greeting me from the mailbox - as does my partner here.

Laurent
06-21-2010, 04:13 PM
I received Mick Fagan's portrait. The perspective is unusual, and works great with the symetry... I also like the grain (or is it the skin's grain ?) the lighting.... verything ! Thanks Mick !