PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 20 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

mike c
06-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Fleath's card came today ,Cool night scene.

Mike

paul_c5x4
06-22-2010, 05:50 AM
The first of (hopefully) many arrived today - A numbered, limited edition card from fleath that brings back many memories of waiting at airports for shuttles.

Mick Fagan
06-22-2010, 07:10 AM
Numbered, limited edition?

I re-read Fleath's card, checked the name and abbreviated name, didn't see anything, then in the bottom right corner this:- 58/70.

So when he's rich and well known, perhaps I can on-sell one of his original prints for a small fortune. This will allow me to pay my way into a retirement home, maybe!

Funnily enough I logged onto the gallery the day I received Fleath's print, down the bottom under the random section was the postcard print I had received about an hour previously. Interesting to see, I left a comment and noted that the print had been online for over a year and had attracted no or little comment.

Nice print Fleath!

Received Clamming At Sunset by Mike C, looks just as good upside down, which is how I and my work colleague, first viewed it. Peaceful.

Prague Street Sweeper from Dave Martiny, quite an impact, especially as he is surrounded by cigarette butts on the ground.

Laurent, I purposefully enlarged the negative until the image started to noticeably soften, then cropped. In a small version it is quite sharp and of a higher contrast, I wished for the opposite effect.

Mick.

mike c
06-22-2010, 07:50 AM
Mick,it does look ok upside down,I accidentally printed them with the neg flipped upside down also did not know tell all 25 were printed.

Mike

Stephen Frizza
06-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Hi guys please forgive me if my cards arrive to you a little behind schedule I am printing Ilfochrome post cards and am very busy on other photographic projects at the moment but i promise they are coming!...

~Steve

Laurent
06-22-2010, 08:08 AM
I got Fleath's card today. Thanbks Fleath, this is a great shot !

BoxBrownie
06-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Phew! Printed all mine yesterday - 54 of them and a bit of a photographic boot camp - in fact a crash course in printing as I only got my enlarger a few weeks ago and this is only the second negative I've printed!
I've received some cards in the last week, all interesting and very welcome with Paul's 'Weybourne Signal Box' being my current favourite.
It's really fascinating seeing all the different approaches to photography, really worthwhile.
Thanks folks.

Alex Bishop-Thorpe
06-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Got my second card for the round from Fleath; ah yes public transport in Adelaide - remember it well. ;)
Great feel - Morphett Street Bridge?? And on my favourite paper also - missing the darkroom terribly here in BKK.

Yep, Morphett Street Bridge - we'd been at the Worldsend pub just up on Hindley and wandered down. The trams are brilliant for us at the City West UniSA campus, makes it easy to pop down to the central markets for lunch...

We've got a little community of mail-art people going just here in Adelaide with my friends from the art school, so I mailed out an extra dozen to those people too, that's why it came out at 70 for an exchange of around 50 people. Thank you everyone for the kind comments, and I'm sorry if the editioning in the bottom right is a bit weird, it's just a carryover convention from being a printmaker...and I was kinda proud I got 70 prints done.

Alex Bishop-Thorpe
06-23-2010, 03:23 AM
I got a couple more in the mail today! I'm determined to post a personal comment for every one I get.

Paul's (paul_c5x4) signal box photo. I've never seen a pyro neg up close, nor, I think, a lovely pyro print - I'm quite impressed. I admit I didn't even notice it was a 4x5" neg until I looked closer - ahh those lovely framelines. Very nicely printed and a very good size. And, of course, a great photo. My first card from the UK.
Dave Martin's very well composed street sweeper photo. I like how this is printed too, the wider white border on the left is oddly nice. I like the lines of it all, and the bristles of his broom.
Mike's (mike c) photograph of clamming at sunset. Lovely photo, the more I look at it the more I like it. I like the landmass stretching out in the background, reminds me of the beach I grew up near. The sand's nearly silky.

mooseontheloose
06-23-2010, 05:10 AM
This exchange is off to a good start -- two more in the mail today!

Nanette's coffee cup action works on many levels -- the angle, the chrome, the splash itself -- I really like this one.

Fleath's "Chantal at tram stop" -- I like the symmetry of this night scene, and I love the texture of this paper, although it'll never stay flat in the humidity we have here in Japan!

paul_c5x4
06-23-2010, 06:17 AM
Phew! Printed all mine yesterday - 54 of them and a bit of a photographic boot camp - in fact a crash course in printing as I only got my enlarger a few weeks ago and this is only the second negative I've printed!

For a second print, you have done a mighty fine job - I don't recall my early prints to be anywhere near as good and I have to work at getting decent ones now. Doesn't help that I've been using boxes of vintage papers that are older than some of us here.

ozphoto
06-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Thanks Rachelle - I was happy with the shot too (after burning 4 rolls to the client's specs.) ;)

BoxBrownie
06-23-2010, 07:19 AM
For a second print, you have done a mighty fine job - I don't recall my early prints to be anywhere near as good and I have to work at getting decent ones now. Doesn't help that I've been using boxes of vintage papers that are older than some of us here.

Ta very much. I did lose about a dozen prints though due to fingerprints and general messiness (didn't realise you can't really touch the surface as you put them under the enlarger). After so many losses, I stopped and got a lot more methodical about it. I think it'll be a little while before a dare to move on to fibre prints.

Dave Martiny
06-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Fleath, a very nice night photo, great tonality for such a push. Can you tell us your development time?

Avi, excellent urban landscape/architecture image. Do you print borderless or simply trim your borders off?

Regards,

Dave

Patrick Latour
06-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Ok, this morning I had 5 surprises in my mailbox. 5 Beautiful surprises I would say:

aluk: Château Frontenac, curiously, even if it is just at 2 hours from my home, I never saw this hotel that way. A pin sharp photo, not a lot of details in the sky, but in this situation, it works well for me. Good work !!!

mike c: Clamming at sunset, what a picture. I always like that kind of silhouette, I love the glossy paper. The sky is very nice.

mooseontheloose: Zen photographer, this picture will put a smile on my face for months to come. Details of the texture are incredible.

paul_c5x4: This picture makes me travel into another time. Clarity and sharpness are beautiful. I love it.

Dave Martiny: Street sweeper, it makes me ask myself a coupe of questions about this guy and his life. Pin sharp and a lot of details (look at the shoes). Another nice card.

Thanks guys and gals for sharing all those beautiful images with me. Should start to print mines this weekend, I will do my best to be at your level.

Thanks

kraker
06-23-2010, 05:02 PM
First card of round #20 received today:
Looking up from Mick Fagan. A great start of this round. Very nice shot, great lighting. Mick, thanks for your comment about my card from the previous round.

I plan to send my cards earlier than in the last few rounds. I've decided to do two sets this time, and I've already printed one set. All that remains is to decide on which neg to print for the second set, then print it.

david James lee
06-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Rachelle's postcard arrived a few days ago. that was the wake up call for me to get to the darkroom and start printing, which i did yesterday. today, with the help of my son who designed and printed the labels, my postcards are ready to be mailed. i keep handling the prints with my fingertips, hard for me to think that they will be manipulated by countless people before reaching their destination...!

mike c
06-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Card from BoxBrownie,Like your taste... err uh choice of buildings .Very rich tones and fine detail.Looks like the place has some real character.

Mike

RTMoynihan
06-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Got my first of the exchange from BoxBrownie today, really sharp print and fine detail.

sage
06-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Just got mine into the mail, no being late this time whoo!