PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 20 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Kevin Kehler
07-05-2010, 08:50 PM
All cards in the mail. I have received 3 so far, all excellent work.

johnnywalker
07-05-2010, 09:55 PM
I've received 4 so far: Rachelle's nicely done Rakan which makes me think of a happy, contented alien. Mick's lovely high-key breaking-the-rules portrait of the young lady; Steve Brown's (BoxBrownie) nicely toned and composed pub picture - looks like a nice place for a pint or two; and Fleath's nicely composed and exposed night scene of Chantal at the bus stop.
Mine should go out tomorrow.

MattKing
07-05-2010, 10:37 PM
I’ve previously commented on five cards. Since then, cards from 2 more APUGers have come in:

sly - “Colliery Dam Footbridge” - a gorgeous tea-toned cyanotype
drpsilver - “Tafoni, Cambria” - wonderful textures and shapes, remarkably similar to the shores of Gabriola Island (a place that sly and I know well) - isn’t it a wonderfully small world

7 down, 21 to go :)

Thanks to everyone for participating.

Nige
07-06-2010, 06:10 AM
what developer did you use?

Roger

Hi Roger,

It was Agfa Neutol NE of unknown vintage.

Cheers, Nige

Laurent
07-06-2010, 08:07 AM
I received sly's beautiful Cyanotype today ! This is the first cyanotype I ever see, and this is lovely. The subject is intriguing, I love it !

Thanks sly !!

sly
07-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks Matt and Laurent, glad you like it. I'm not surprised it made it to Delta - that's just a ferry ride away, but can't believe one got to France already! That one had wings!

hwv
07-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Received one last week and one today:

drpsilver: wonderful grays in this photo of stones which are looking like sponges
sly: great picture of a footbridge, beautiful artistic print. I love it!

For those of you who are still guessing what's on my photo and what site is up:
Laurent has already unraveled the mystery http://www.apug.org/forums/1020213-post75.html.

kraker
07-06-2010, 01:45 PM
can't believe one got to France already! That one had wings!

...and Germany (see previous post) and The Netherlands! They all have wings! ;)

Received yours today, a beautiful cyanotype. Thanks, sly!

mooseontheloose
07-07-2010, 06:06 AM
...and now Japan as well! Thanks for the cyanotype Lillian -- you've got a real nice colour with the tea toning, something I have yet to do successfully with my own cyanotypes.

david James lee
07-07-2010, 06:58 AM
i finally posted my 20 cards last thursday and so far i have received 4 very nice prints from DRP,Mick,Rachelle and Fleath.
as Mick did. i also printed mine in glossy ilford rc paper.i hope they reach their destination in as good shape as mick's did...!

sly
07-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Well - I guess my postcards were in a mailbag that got shoved onto a plane pretty quickly. They should start to arrive in other parts of Canada and the US soon..... Thanks for the comments, all.

Rachelle, ask for a care package with Red Rose tea in it, or at least try a few different brands. I tried and tried to tone with tea and kept getting MUD. I was using a cheap no name brand as I'd heard that cheap tea had more tannin. Then I did a test with a few different teas and Red Rose was the best of the ones I tried. It beat out the high-priced specialty teas and the no name brand and the one with Sanskrit on the box.

paul_c5x4
07-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Must admit, been sitting on sly's cards for a few days... The tea toned cyanotype came through the post without any of the usual barcodes or mangling.

Mick Fagin's card also arrived several days ago - I like the pose and lighting of the subject.

mike c
07-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Received Slys post card today.Thought it was some old piece of card board with rough edges till I noticed it had a picture on it.Its has a built in antiquity about it with the handwritten Apug PC exchange #20.Very nice photography ,must have been a chore,Thanks Sly.

Mike

Laurent
07-08-2010, 04:42 AM
Wow !! I finally made it and got all my cards printed, addressed and stamped in two days ! The last weeks have been hectic since I had to print from THE event that happens this year in Chateauneuf (hope I'll be able to post some scnas later on) and a bad back did not help.

Anyway, my cards will be in the mail today.

I've been lazy, so there are no hand-written notes (excet for 3 or 4 cards) this time. Some of the labels are missing an important technical detail : the tripod was a Manfrotto #055 :D

All the best,
Laurent

Patrick Latour
07-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Got the incredible cyanotype from Sly. First time I see that kind of photograph in real. Really impressed. This is something I would like to try when I will be more experienced (in 35 or 40 years)...

I also got hmv windmill in movement. Thanks to Laurent, without him I am not sure I would have guessed the exact subject. Nicely print.

Mines are exposed since last weekend, I was suppose to process them this week, but actually we are right in a major heatwave. My darkroom is in the basement, which is normally very cool, but actually at 8:00pm it is exactly 30 Celsius in the darkroom, so imagine spending a couple of hours in it. Today with the humidity, with had 45 at 14:00 in my area. So let's jump in the swimming pool... bye bye !!!

likemarlonbrando
07-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Just finished printing all my cards. I have to buy postage so they will go out tomorrow afternoon. I have received 4 cards so far.

1. From Steve Brown (BoxBrownie) - A cool shot of a bar with some interesting details

2. From Alex Bishop Thorpe (Fleath) - A fibre print of a very symmetrical night scene at what seems like a bus station.

3. Was Sly's amazing cyanotype. Mine was not abused by the post as well, great one.

4. From Mick Fagan was a shot of a woman's head looking up, very interesting and fills the frame very well.

ozphoto
07-09-2010, 01:17 AM
I too received Sly's postcard yesterday - reminds me very much of some old ones my grandmother kept of the family from the early 20th C.

gurkenprinz
07-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Thank you, sly, for your wonderful postcard. I love the tones of this - so smooth and subtle! And the paper...

Patrick Latour
07-09-2010, 02:17 AM
I too received Sly's postcard yesterday - reminds me very much of some old ones my grandmother kept of the family from the early 20th C.

Exactly what I thought. While looking at it, I can easily imagine my grandfather on it when he was young.

Alex Bishop-Thorpe
07-09-2010, 03:55 AM
I got Lillian's (Sly's) just today too, I dig the old-timey feel coupled with the graffiti. It looks very much like a tunnel I go through when I ride to university. Very successful tea-toning, and it survived the postal system just fine. Bloody lovely.
I also got one from Darwin (drpsilver) - for a minute I thought it had incredibly large grain, but then I thought, no, it's a photograph of a rock surface :rolleyes: That's what rocks look like. I'm a bit slow sometimes. I really like the composition of this, it makes me think of the fossilised remains of some sort of bulbous flower. It's just nice to look at.

Once again, my sincere thanks to everyone I've received a postcard from, it makes checking the mail much more exciting.